Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
It always amazes me when people manage to transit a hub more than one time per direction. It really shouldn't work, but sometimes it does, apparently. Good find, especially being able to do West Coast-Europe and vice versa rather than having to head out to the East Coast first.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Congrats on an awesome redemption, and some low mileage Delta segments as well.

I'm doing a similar journey this October:

LAX-CDG-EDI (Air France/CityJet) in Business
EDI-AMS-VIE (KLM/City Hopper) in Business
VIE-CDG-SLC-LAX (Tyrolean/Delta) -- was on AF CDG-LAX but a schedule change made the connection too tight so I was rerouted on DL through SLC. Now the AF connection is fine again but no more avails!

Congrats again -- I'm excited to fly the AF A380 (and the China Southern A380 in Biz from LAX-CAN next summer!).

Have a great trip.

Originally Posted by metoo
First DL booking and I am now a true DL fan

June- July 2013

LAX-SEA- lst class
SEA- AMS - Biz - spending almost one day layover here to enjoy AMS
AMS - CDG - CPH - Biz except the lst leg Coach, Stopover

CPH-CDG-VIE - Biz, Destination

VIE-CDG- LAX - Biz

100k Miles and $207 in taxes and fees, $25 for the phone call

Last edited by Mileage Lover; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm Reason: Replied Without Reply!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:29 am

June- July 2013

LAX-SEA- lst class

VIE-CDG- LAX - Biz

That's impressive, congrats! I need to look for something similar going the other direction, Europe to the US with a stopover/destination in the US,and didn't know it was possible for so few miles. I better start my research.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by SusanDK
That's impressive, congrats! I need to look for something similar going the other direction, Europe to the US with a stopover/destination in the US,and didn't know it was possible for so few miles. I better start my research.
Get ready to pay some fuel surcharges.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:06 am

June- July 2013

LAX-SEA- lst class

VIE-CDG- LAX - Biz

So the 4-segment each way rule does not apply when booking on the phone or when it is one's lucky day?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
So the 4-segment each way rule does not apply when booking on the phone or when it is one's lucky day?
The destination is actually CPH, not VIE, at least as far as the fare construction is concerned.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Booked this yesterday for travel in April 2013, all flights on Vietnam Airlines in J for two people:

FRA-HAN (stopover) HAN-SGN-SYD (open jaw) MEL-HAN-SGN-FRA

150,000 miles per person + 219.10 USD in taxes and fees

It looks like DL doesn't collect fuel surcharges on Vietnam Airlines, not even on departures from Europe and the availability in business class awards is great, because it books directly into J class, which is a discounted revenue fare at Vietnam Airlines.

So a great redemption opportunity for Europe-based Skymiles members who are usually faced with the high fuel surcharges at AF, KL, and DL leaving from Europe. In comparison, I checked on airfrance.com site, which shows Vietnam Airlines award availability and they collect another 500 USD or so alone in fuel surcharges.

Last edited by acjflyer; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:29 am Reason: fixed mileage amount
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Congrats. I'll hope you'll return to FlyerTalk (maybe the SkyTeam forum?) with a review of Business seating on the VN 777 and A330 equipment.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The destination is actually CPH, not VIE, at least as far as the fare construction is concerned.
Stopping in AMS for an overnight ,Stopping in CPH for 10 days, then flying to VIE and stopping for 5 days then from VIE back home to LAX
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v

Maybe a lucky day. I changed my awards travel free of charge after receiving the electronic ticket . Yesterday, Delta CSR was going to change my economy class to biz class for free but KLM wouldn't give the seat to me even though it is showing a seat is available on Expertflyer.com and on Delta's computer.

Last edited by metoo; Aug 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by acjflyer
It looks like DL doesn't collect fuel surcharges on Vietnam Airlines, not even on departures from Europe and the availability in business class awards is great, because it books directly into J class, which is a discounted revenue fare at Vietnam Airlines.
Very interesting. I'm seeing €451.40 in ITA on that routing (via a broken fare since VN doesn't even publish a FRA-SYD/MEL fare). Also, you got undercharged miles if they only took 120K per person, as Europe-Australia is supposed to be 150K in J.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Hey all, looking for some help here on how to get AZ seats for an award booking.

I've researched all the flights I want and confirmed there are at least 2 award seats available on EF. This is for travel in May 2013. Desired itinerary is as follows:

05/06 LAX-CDG AF65
05/12 CDG-NAP AF 2378
05/18 NAP-FCO AZ 1264
05/19 FCO-JFK AZ 608

This should price out to 100K miles each in J, correct me if I'm wrong.

The rep was able to confirm the first two flights, but said he was not seeing any availability for the AZ flights. He also said in his experience AZ never releases award seats for skymiles redemption, which I know is not true. On EF AZ 1264 shows 7 U seats available (plane is in an all Y config) and on AZ608 3 Z seats. I tried saying "long sell" and he came back with nothing. Said all he could see was the DL FCO-JFK for 200K miles. No thanks.

Is this a case of hang up and call again? For those with experience getting AZ tickets booked, any magic words I can say to get the agent to see the availability?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:39 pm

Definitely HUACA.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by redrobster
Hey all, looking for some help here on how to get AZ seats for an award booking.

I've researched all the flights I want and confirmed there are at least 2 award seats available on EF. This is for travel in May 2013. Desired itinerary is as follows:

05/06 LAX-CDG AF65
05/12 CDG-NAP AF 2378
05/18 NAP-FCO AZ 1264
05/19 FCO-JFK AZ 608

This should price out to 100K miles each in J, correct me if I'm wrong.

The rep was able to confirm the first two flights, but said he was not seeing any availability for the AZ flights. He also said in his experience AZ never releases award seats for skymiles redemption, which I know is not true. On EF AZ 1264 shows 7 U seats available (plane is in an all Y config) and on AZ608 3 Z seats. I tried saying "long sell" and he came back with nothing. Said all he could see was the DL FCO-JFK for 200K miles. No thanks.

Is this a case of hang up and call again? For those with experience getting AZ tickets booked, any magic words I can say to get the agent to see the availability?

Go back a page or two and look at my posts for my recent AZ redemption. I modified my sister's res to fly BCN-FCO-JFK, modified half of my parents trip to have them fly LAX-FCO-BCN, and later called to change their return to be on AZ as well. ALL 3 times I called the agent said there was no availability, when I could see it on AF.us and ExpertFlyer. Each time I asked the agent to do a long sell and check directly with Alitalia, and each time they came back after a few minutes saying it was available.

In my parents case, I even got a $12 refund on taxes/fees . They had been on AF outbound and return before.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Very interesting. I'm seeing €451.40 in ITA on that routing (via a broken fare since VN doesn't even publish a FRA-SYD/MEL fare). Also, you got undercharged miles if they only took 120K per person, as Europe-Australia is supposed to be 150K in J.
You are right, it was 150K in J, had been looking at other options for 120K before to Southeast Asia, but then decided to spend the extra 30K to head down under. I'll correct my post above.

But the fees were that cheap!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.