Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver
I am trying to find good tickets out of DOH or DXB to MSY, GPT, or SAN. I found on 11/21 DXB to MSY and 12/3 MSY to DXB for 100k business the whole way, but the MSY departure was too early as I am returning from a cruise. I also found 100k from IST to MSY, ATL R/T in business, but it had high taxes (around $400-500).

I am debating on paying for CO econ and upgrading via reward points plus cash and abandoning the Skymiles program and trying to find a way to use the rest of the 100k I have accumulated as they don't seem to offer a very flexible or bang for the buck as other programs. Has anyone else found any deals out of the middle east to NA? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, American Advantage, Continental Onepass
Yes, I know it has to be Saver availability.

I tried looking for PTY-AMS in March and can't find anything on delta.com
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dohko8
Yes, I know it has to be Saver availability.

I tried looking for PTY-AMS in March and can't find anything on delta.com
Did you search by schedule? DL.dumb notoriously hides partner flights when searching by price for some inexplicable reason.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta FO
Blessing in disguise

4 tix @ 32.5k in Y with wife (PM) and non-English speaking kettle 70yr old mother and father in law in tow.

Gsp-dtw-msp (20hr stopover to visit our old haunts in Minnesota)
Msp-yyc (vacation in banff)
Yyc-msp-cvg-gsp

Split pnr from kettle in laws for chance at upgrades

Disaster strikes...or so we thought.
Gsp-dtw cancelled. Delta IT re routes us with ATL connection, but kettle in laws put on a crappy different flight scheduled to arrive msp around midnight. Effectively killing our plans to visit Minnesota. Allowing our non-english speaking kettle in laws to travel separately was not acceptable, and delta wouldnt let us go mother-daughter/me-father in law because we had split the pnrs. The only option left was for all 4 of us to take the late flight into msp. None of the other bazillion ATL-msp flights had 4 seats that day.

Next, I scoured delta.com and found 4 seats ATL-mke-msp. the agent bent the rules on alternate airports to let us switch. Only avl and clt are alternates for gsp, although ATL is closer to where I live. Dodging GA highway patrol, we made it just in time for the flight, were only 3 hours delayed from our original plans, got a boat load of meal coupons, and enjoyed a wonderful day in Minnesota.

We also switched the return to yyc-msp-ATL. Everything was great after that, even got some upgrades for the kettle in laws to enjoy.

Blessing in disguise
Unforecasted t- storms clobbered ATL after we left for mke. That late flight ATL-msp that we should have been on was delayed until about 2am and then cancelled. Imagine finding a hotel at that hour with a ton of cancelled flights, not to mention we would have missed our flight on to yyc.

On the return, the msp-cvg flight we originally were on was delayed, which would have definitely made us miss the connection to gsp, and cause us to overnight in cvg.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by pacheco18
"Success" is relative.

I had booked my outbound for LAX BCN (BE) a few weeks back and called midnight to book return from CPH. Of course, no low mileage 100k tix available on Delta. Between KLM and AF, only the 6:55 am AF had award seats available so I booked them. That early flight is not good for us. I want the 10:30. I called this morning and the 1 pm AF opened up. So I switched to that one. (I am DM so I do all this with no fee). I plan to call in another few hours to see if the 10:30 on either AF or KLM opens up.

The Good News: I have two free low mileage BE seats
Th Bad News: Those seats are never available on Delta metal and I have to play a ridiculous game to get them.
Just wanted to followup on my earlier post. I booked my low mileage BE flight 331 days out. Now, 330 days out, less than 24 hours later, the cheapest skymiles flight available is 345k miles and has 2 stopovers and endless layovers. What a system!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by pacheco18
Just wanted to followup on my earlier post. I booked my low mileage BE flight 331 days out. Now, 330 days out, less than 24 hours later, the cheapest skymiles flight available is 345k miles and has 2 stopovers and endless layovers. What a system!
I bet you got the only low miles seat they made available!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver
Wow! I am finding tons of options from FCO, CDG, AMS to the MSY, SAN, etc. and back for 100k biz fares around NOV/DEC, but that would mean I would have to book an econ R/T from DOH or DXB to Europe and make sure I catch the flight. With the current situation in Europe, I am not sure of flying AF, AZ, or KLM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by poupre
I need some help from some award ticket vets out there!

Back in March I was very excited to book a pair of BE award tickets. I got an expert flyer account and put in hours of work, and ended up with flights I was really happy with, at LOW even!

Flash to today, and I wake up to an itinerary change email. I was hoping it was just a slight time change, but unfortunately not, it was an added connection, and a switch from AF to DL. Soooo not happy about that.

Original Flights
10/29 - 11/9
All AF BE
LAX-CDG-FLR-CDG-LAX

New Flights
10/29 - 11/9
AF BE (First 3 legs) & DL BE (Last 2 legs)
LAX-CDG-FLR-CDG-ATL-LAX

It's really important that our return consists of a shop hop from FLR, then a long flight from somewhere in Europe to LAX. Connecting in ATL breaks up the trip and makes it far less restful.

I called Delta right away, and got no help from the representative. I then jumped on Expert Flyer, and couldn't find any of Delta's partners that have any BE availability from their European hub (AMS, FCO, CDG) directly to LAX, on 11/9 (or even 11/8 or 11/10). I'm hoping there is a trick that I'm missing, that someone can tell me? Or that maybe I'm blind and I missed some availability?

So if someone could help me .... here are the parameters:
Seats: 2
Dates: 11/8, 11/9, 11/10
Departure airport: FLR, PSA or FCO
Arrival Airport: LAX
Class: BE (EC fine for short hop)
Restrictions: TATL must be from Europe directly to LAX

If anyone can see anything that I can't, your help would be greatly appreciated! This trip is a birthday present for my mom, who has never flown business before. So I really want her to get the full effect of a long restfull BE flight rather than relatively short BE hops.

TIA!
Update:

I've been searching for alternate routing and found FLR-AMS-LAX on KL. I called Delta to make the switch and the rep asked me why I didn't want to swich instead to the earlier AF flight (AF5049 & AF 66 FLR-CDG-LAX). I was surprised because I called multiple times when my flight was first changed to do just that. I was on the phone for over an hour as she worked w the "international desk", to force availability on AF. Finally she came back and said it would take a few days to be reticketed. This morning, 4 days later, my new flights are showing confirmed on both DL & AF! ^

So to echo what has been said over and over again. If you get an answer you don't agree with, call and call again!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Update:

I've been searching for alternate routing and found FLR-AMS-LAX on KL. I called Delta to make the switch and the rep asked me why I didn't want to swich instead to the earlier AF flight (AF5049 & AF 66 FLR-CDG-LAX). I was surprised because I called multiple times when my flight was first changed to do just that. I was on the phone for over an hour as she worked w the "international desk", to force availability on AF. Finally she came back and said it would take a few days to be reticketed. This morning, 4 days later, my new flights are showing confirmed on both DL & AF! ^

So to echo what has been said over and over again. If you get an answer you don't agree with, call and call again!
So did you pay another $150?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
So did you pay another $150?
No fee. I had originally booked LAX-CDG-FLR-CDG-LAX. The return CDG-LAX was canceled by AF. So I was rebooked LAX-CDG-FLR-CDG-ATL-LAX. So this change was restoring my original routing.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Two Business Class On AF for our cruise next year:
MIA-CDG-VCE and return FCO-MIA..... 100K each.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Update:

Glad to hear that! I thought that this should have been handled in this manner from the beginning, so I'm glad you finally found an agent who agreed.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Orf-zhr be 100k

Booked 2 ORF-JFK-ZRH-JFK-ORF in BE (for the TATL, no F on ORF-JFK RJs) for 100K each mid-October. Not too bad.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
5 business class tickets for 100K each on AF. Next May/June LAX-CDG-LHR(open jaw)FCO-CDG-LAX.

Funny thing was that original plan was to do LHR roundtrip but after seeing the taxes/fees of over $300/person to fly out of LHR, I started looking at other options. Flying out of FCO not only saved almost $800 but created an opportunity to add more to our vacation. Technically, though, I didn't save the $800 as I'm spending it on the trip from London to Rome but you get the point.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by justhere
5 business class tickets for 100K each on AF. Next May/June LAX-CDG-LHR(open jaw)FCO-CDG-LAX.

Funny thing was that original plan was to do LHR roundtrip but after seeing the taxes/fees of over $300/person to fly out of LHR, I started looking at other options. Flying out of FCO not only saved almost $800 but created an opportunity to add more to our vacation. Technically, though, I didn't save the $800 as I'm spending it on the trip from London to Rome but you get the point.
The fact that you're not giving the money to the UK government is good enough reason

I might have tried tacking on LHR-FCO so it priced either as LAX-LHR r/t (with a stopover in FCO) or LAX-FCO r/t (with a stopover in LON), but I'm not sure if it would have come up as a valid routing. I think if you had a stopover in FCO, the UK APD charged would be much lower. I presently have an award booking with something like US$270 being the UK APD, and I'm seriously considering routing LHR-CDG-ICN-MEL with a stopover (maybe a very long one) at CDG instead of LHR-ICN-MEL to recoup some of the APD. (I could get a Eurostar ticket for something like US$110.)

Oh, good work landing the award, making an even better vacation out of it, and doing your best to defeat the silly APD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.