Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Call back and specifically ask for the agent to contact AF and have them force availability on the earlier flights (AF5049/AF66). This is a direct result of an AF cancellation and they have the responsibility to accommodate you.
No, contractually AF does not. Day of travel disruptions are the responsibility of the operating carrier but advance schedule changes are the burden of the ticketing carrier - that's Delta. Schedules and routing aren't part of Delta's contract with the traveler. Delta can ask AF to open award inventory but can't force it. Delta has provided a solution on its own metal. Why I understand the desire for a longer travel segment on an overnight flight, it should be less of a concern on a daylight TATL return. As noted above, a refund is the remedy of last resort.
Interesting. My apologies for getting it wrong. I based my statement on my recollection of previous threads, but when I went and reread those threads the answers were not as definitive as I remembered.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
No, contractually AF does not. Day of travel disruptions are the responsibility of the operating carrier but advance schedule changes are the burden of the ticketing carrier - that's Delta. Schedules and routing aren't part of Delta's contract with the traveler. Delta can ask AF to open award inventory but can't force it. Delta has provided a solution on its own metal. Why I understand the desire for a longer travel segment on an overnight flight, it should be less of a concern on a daylight TATL return. As noted above, a refund is the remedy of last resort.
So what happens if, say, KE decides to cancel service to MEL on my award booking in December and there's no J award space left on any combination of KL/AF/CZ/MH? Would DL route me from LHR to somewhere in the US, on over to LAX, then on to SYD and then MEL on DJ (if they can get that, or just SYD if I'm willing to accept the change), or would I just be totally up a creek?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL,UA
What did the agent(s) say when you called? You can have your choice of 8-10 dates in September from IAD via AF or KLM at 80K. BWI departures are a bit more scarce but still there for the taking.
I havent called yet, I have been checking on the delta website. How can you see the dates that are available for 80k pls?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by PASTORJ
I havent called yet, I have been checking on the delta website. How can you see the dates that are available for 80k pls?
Sign up for a free FlyingBlue account and search on airfrance.us. Classic awards for Y and J can be booked with DL miles. Once you find your flights on af.us, use search by schedule on DL.dumb. Ignore the mileage rates and taxes/fees af.us lists, as they're likely to be different from DL's. (A WAS-ACC search shows 9 dates outbound in September and four returning in September or up to 2 Oct.) Note that if you're searching on DL.dumb, you can't use generic city codes (WAS, LON, NYC, etc.) for award searches, even though it works for revenue searches.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
2x STL>ATL>BCN>AMS>DTW>STL for 75k each in EC. I was pretty happy when I saw that. (BCN>AMS segment obviously on KLM, rest on DL) This is in September, btw.

Mediterranean Cruise out of BCN then AMS for a couple days before heading home. Very excited!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JimboM1391
2x STL>ATL>BCN>AMS>DTW>STL for 75k each in EC. I was pretty happy when I saw that. (BCN>AMS segment obviously on KLM, rest on DL) This is in September, btw.

Mediterranean Cruise out of BCN then AMS for a couple days before heading home. Very excited!
Be sure to keep an eye on the direction that was booked at medium and if it shows up for low, have them give you 15K miles back (per ticket), but sounds like a decent find.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL,UA
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Sign up for a free FlyingBlue account and search on airfrance.us. Classic awards for Y and J can be booked with DL miles. Once you find your flights on af.us, use search by schedule on DL.dumb. Ignore the mileage rates and taxes/fees af.us lists, as they're likely to be different from DL's. (A WAS-ACC search shows 9 dates outbound in September and four returning in September or up to 2 Oct.) Note that if you're searching on DL.dumb, you can't use generic city codes (WAS, LON, NYC, etc.) for award searches, even though it works for revenue searches.
Thanks a lot for the info. I will do that. I did a search on delta and indicated that I was flexible on the dates and I saw several low mileage availability from IAD in september.. I just hate the 45 mins to an hour drive to IAD. I live less than 5 mins from BWI.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:25 pm

JFK-LHR
LHR-CDG-MAD
MAD-JFK

2 award tix @ 100k each in Business. Sending my parents away for their anniversary next April.

I'm easy to please as far as awards go. Still haven't had any shortcomings booking LOW awards on .dumb
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Well, I finally did it (at least, my wife did it anyway...).

Booked a 25k domestic r/t on a nonstop flight: TUL-ATL-TUL.

She wanted to stay with me for a while during the PGA Championships and the paid ticket is $465. I thought about it for a while and with the reality of SkyPesos, nearly a $0.02/mile redemption has become a deal, I suppose. What I was surprised about was that every nonstop flight was available at the low level for a GM (I redeemed from wife's account). So, it was pay $465 and pick any flight we wanted or pay $5 + 25k SMs and pick any flight we wanted and we chose the latter. After only ever redeeming RTWs/International flights in J, it feels weird. I feel like it's a good redemption, but only because of the high fare. I'm looking forward to the "Southwest Effect" in the TUL-ATL market!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: A few
jjglaze77 - agree it's a good redemption. as DM you basically have a fully flexible ticket as well. for sure sitting in cx f beats domestic coach but you have a good upgrade shot and it's not like you empty the piggy bank doing the odd domestic

i am working on a roundtrip rdu-yul with a stopover in nyc. lots of 25k availability for 4 of us. not the sexiest, but good value none the less
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
2 x YUL-CDG-NBO-SEZ (destination)-NBO (stopover)-LHR-CDG-YUL, and
2 x YUL-CDG-NBO-LHR-CDG-YUL

all in business class...
Cancelled, rebooked as

4 x YUL-CDG-MRU SEZ-CDG-YUL in business class again, 120k each

Couldn't get the lodge we wanted in NBO so try that one again another time. Very happy with this upcoming trip in August
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
Award redemption 2 days out PDX-LAX

I booked PDX-LAX award redemption for 35k miles as a PM on 6/28, for travel on 6/30.
returning on 7/5

confirmed upgrade at booking for SLC-LAX (available V inventory)
upgrade at gate for PDX-SLC
Flying AS PDX-LAX non-stop in F on the return.

outgoing cost 12.5k
return cost 22.5k (couldn't find any other flights that were 'upgrade eligible'

I'm pretty happy with the situation.

The ticket cost in comparison for H class was ~$695 ai.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:01 am

1 J NRT-TPE and back in late July. 45k miles (low). $41.80 in taxes and fees. Got 3.773 cents/miles redemption rate. It's my first premium international experience; really looking forward to it!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
ATL-SNA-ATL in early November, then ATL-EWR Dec. 22. For 3 pax. Each at 25K. Happy day!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Well, I finally did it (at least, my wife did it anyway...).

Booked a 25k domestic r/t on a nonstop flight: TUL-ATL-TUL.

She wanted to stay with me for a while during the PGA Championships and the paid ticket is $465. I thought about it for a while and with the reality of SkyPesos, nearly a $0.02/mile redemption has become a deal, I suppose. What I was surprised about was that every nonstop flight was available at the low level for a GM (I redeemed from wife's account). So, it was pay $465 and pick any flight we wanted or pay $5 + 25k SMs and pick any flight we wanted and we chose the latter. After only ever redeeming RTWs/International flights in J, it feels weird. I feel like it's a good redemption, but only because of the high fare. I'm looking forward to the "Southwest Effect" in the TUL-ATL market!
Congrats. That is a nice redemption. I seldom redeem domestically, but when I do I only do it when I can get the most bang for my miles as you did. Have a nice trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.