Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by vxmike
Jealous!

I've been looking for the AMS-JRO and return flights in business class for October to climb Kilimanjaro but I've had no luck on Biz award availability. I don't want to take KQ to Nairobi in fear of the YQ.

I really wanted to use Delta miles for this, but I'm not seeing any other options.
I know it's not the same as BE, but KLM does have Economy Comfort on these routes. Maybe you could consider that. And to 3CForme, I am pretty psyched about the trip. Sounds like you have been to Tanzania.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
NVT-GRU-AEP (overnight) on GOL
AEP-USH on AR
USH-FTE (overnight) on AR
FTE-AEP-GRU on AR

20K miles and $95.20 in taxes.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DLATL777
NVT-GRU-AEP (overnight) on GOL
AEP-USH on AR
USH-FTE (overnight) on AR
FTE-AEP-GRU on AR

20K miles and $95.20 in taxes.
I've always heard such bad stuff about AR. Report back on the flights, if you can. Seems a decent use of miles.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:57 pm

LAX-CDG-SVO on AF
HEL-CDG (stopover)-LAX on AF

for 100k and 132.xx taxes in biz x 2.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat
First the good...
I snagged 2 biz seats on ATN from LAX to PPT (return 331 days out of course) for 300k total (and $900 in tax). Friday night to Saturday. Home is DEN and opted to buy a ticket to LAX (or UA miles) just to avoid another connection.

Now the bad...
Had 2 bix seats DEN to KOA in early Sept for 270k. I burned the miles with my recent move to DEN but 5 segments and 270k were killing me. Last night I jumped on UA and booked 2 direct seats in First for 160k.

I miss DL but I have to say I'm loving the redemption rates and availability on UA.

Over $15k in value for 460k miles and $900. Not bad considering the destinations.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bment01
First the good...
I snagged 2 biz seats on ATN from LAX to PPT (return 331 days out of course) for 300k total (and $900 in tax). Friday night to Saturday. Home is DEN and opted to buy a ticket to LAX (or UA miles) just to avoid another connection.

Now the bad...
Had 2 bix seats DEN to KOA in early Sept for 270k. I burned the miles with my recent move to DEN but 5 segments and 270k were killing me. Last night I jumped on UA and booked 2 direct seats in First for 160k.

I miss DL but I have to say I'm loving the redemption rates and availability on UA.

Over $15k in value for 460k miles and $900. Not bad considering the destinations.
Wow... imagine that... UA has flights to Hawaii from one of its hubs, on its own metal, available every single day in September for Saver awards - for 2 passengers! (Yes, even on that Yellow day, there is actually Saver availability.)

Delta, on the other hand, from its west coast hub... zero. 24 days available in Medium, and 6 in high.

Let's expand our search to the other Hawaiian airports, just to give them a chance.

HNL... none.

LIH... none.

OGG... none.

Another shining example of the state of the SkyPesos union. Thank goodness for partner redemptions, though even those are becoming more costly as YR/YQ starts rearing its ugly head, such as on KE redemptions this past week.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I pulled off the impossible. Low flight RT to Europe in peak season. One direction even managed to snag J tix on KLM. Utilized my DM status and changed the ticket twice already (one time to move from DL metal med level to KLM low level), second time to get a more convenient itinerary (9 hour layover in AMS = not fun).

Hoping to change one more time to get direct to SFO, but for now it stands:

SFO-AMS-DUS (X class)
CGN-AMS-LAX-SFO (O/R class)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bment01
Used to get good value from NW. Not much, if any, of late. Someone mentioned YQ on KE awards. I hope this is not the case.

I routinely get $15k value from 135k AA miles, and $40 in taxes. UA also has good values for Intra Asia travel.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Someone mentioned YQ on KE awards. I hope this is not the case.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...al-awards.html
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
FLL-ATL-CDG-BLR (India)
BLR-CDG (6 day stopover)
CDG-ATL-FLL

In Jan, all F/BE for 2 at 120K each+$200. Had to book just ATL-BLR on delta.com and have a human add in FLL as I kept getting the "one of your flights has just sold out" message.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I really hate that we have (been forced to) decided that sitting in business on AF makes up the "jackpot" award ticket. Sigh, I really do hate Skyteam.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: A few
I really hate that we have (been forced to) decided that sitting in business on AF makes up the "jackpot" award ticket. Sigh, I really do hate Skyteam.
How about virgin Australia, Korean air a380, Kenya airways?

Not saying its great but there are a few "ok" redemptions
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
How about virgin Australia, Korean air a380, Kenya airways?

Not saying its great but there are a few "ok" redemptions
yeah, but the recent YQ issues with KE, KQ are making this far less attractive.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Part of the jackpot is also the destination, no? Maybe AF isn't the best, but if you're flying them somewhere amazing then it makes up for it a bit.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:38 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It took hours online and multiple phone calls but I finally was able to snag *9* low level awards MSP-ANC-MSP. Outbound with AS via SEA, return nonstop with DL.

Outbound four people have a different SEA-ANC flight but we can live with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.