Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:41 am

Sept5: JFK-AMS (stop)-DEL-CDG-JFK
KL/AF all in J - 120k + $170
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Thumbs up Thank You DL..Vacation BKK-USA-TPE-BKK low tier miles

Vacation to USA from BKK is set...all at low tier rates.

...first booked the outbound a couple of months ago:
for two tickets...
with Coach BKK-NRT; Bus NRT-JFK; Coach JFK-IAD
but patiently waited for Bus seats to appear first leg..YES!

Then later saw F seats from JFK - DCA - YES!

Had Coach return fm IAD in late Aug..as dummy return booking...
but was waiting for 2 BusTix
to appear from anywhere..for return to BKK...
finally found 2 from PDX -NRT-TPE...YES!

Then got final leg on KLM in Bus fm TPE - BKK ...YES!
Always have wanted to see Taipei...now can do with FREE layover.

July 12 : 2 BusTix BKK-NRT-JFK-; JFK-DCA in F
Sep 8: 2 BusTix PDX-NRT-TPE with FREE layover 3 days TPE
Sep 12: 2 BusTix TPE-BKK on KLM

Total miles 120,000 each ticket...low tier.

Thank You Platinum Medallion Line...and Delta!

May I add that I was also able to book tix between cities in USA
at low T fares on DL...for all...except the ATL-OKC route which is outrageous fares
on DL..nearly $500 per tix one way...
I used 12,500 for each tix of my British Air miles to book two one way coach tix
ATL-OKC.on AA...with total cost of 25,000 BA miles + 352 Thai Baht ($12.00).
Thanks AA and BA...your one way booking of award tix is much appreciated.
And I have NO status on BA or AA..yet found the award tool at BA and AA "EASY" to use.
tj

Last edited by travelerjim; Apr 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm Reason: added comment re: tickets within USA
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Thank you FT

Just scored two tickets JFK-AMS-JFK, outbound in J return in Y in mid June (been burning burning miles so couldn't afford a return in J even if I wanted it).

KL flights, so only 80k per person r/t (50 + 30). Of course DL has no low availability and wanted 200k+ for the same itinerary. Thank you FT for teaching me to seek out partner awards! Looking over my redemptions, I haven't done a single DL award yet
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K Air Canada Gold Thai Air Gold Delta Platinum Hilton Diamond
Traveller JIm

I applaud your good luck but thats exactly what it is and probably required hundreds of searches. In addition most people fly in and out of the same airport which of course you did not and used a lot more miles and dollars to get back to where you could find your way back to Asia but not where you were really going which was BKK

I looked at similar routings both for your months and months after and came up with nothing BKK JFK BKK IAD.

Sure DL Dumb gave me some green squares but when clicked on they all became yellow. In other no low award period in months of looking in either direction.

Was it just pure luck that you found Biz BKK NRT because looking on DL Dumb means nothing until you actually click through to buy.

The fact is for someone who doesn't mind spending hours and can adjust travel by weeks and can spend miles on other airlines , they might find a low level award.

For normal people there is no chance!!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:47 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Early in April, I booked SNA-BRS (via PDX/AMS) for 18 May rtn BRS-SAN (via AMS/PDX) 23 May for 60,000 miles + $199 tax in coach. Thought that was pretty good.

Today I've switched to LAX-AMS (via YVR) rtn AMS-LAX (via CDG) in Business for 100,000 miles + $113 tax (same dates), plus a paid ticket AMS-BRS rt for 15 Euros plus tax, a total of about $217 (that UK tax, ouch!), in coach. The flights are less than three weeks from now.

For an additional 40,000 miles and $169 it is worth it, even with the extra driving to LAX as opposed to SNA/SAN.

The award calendar only showed medium mileage levels on those dates, so going ahead and checking anyway was worthwhile.

All information was found on Delta.com.

The new award ticket and canceling the old one were done through a phone agent. I was told that at the airport they can through-route my luggage on the two itineraries -- never done that before.

The phone agent who confirmed and booked the new award ticket could not see the (N) class fares I found at Delta.com, and suggested I go ahead and book the paid ticket online. Because of the more convenient timing I chose the exorbitant (!) 15 Euro fare over the 3 Euro round trip which would have been 97 Euros total with tax.

I think it's often luck, but these were the exact dates and close to the itinerary (prefer SAN) desired.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:02 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
LEX, why didn't you book the award straight through to BRS on the outbound? There are low-tier award seats in Y and J on AMS-BRS that time well with your YVR-AMS flight.

Then buy the one way BRS-CDG on EasyJet for 75GBP and avoid AMS entirely on the return. (BRS-CDG indeed not available as an award).

??
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:12 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Hi andymo!

The devil is in the details -- I didn't go into all the trivia of these bookings.

I actually fly back BRS-AMS on Sunday afternoon, the 22nd. I am seeing friends and doing a little business. The onward flight is on Monday AM. I'm burning a Marriott free night cert (that has to be used by 30 September) at the Courtyard there.

Also, I have a decent baggage allowance on KLM. I will be promoting our web store, so this is useful.

The UK taxes hit me either way, on the freebie or the paid.

Also, 8 booking fee on Easy, 2.5% credit card surcharge, and baggage charges of at least 8 and more likely 50 or more... plus Easy on Sunday is 155, not 75... plus I'll earn 1000 eqms and 2250 burnable miles... plus I like Amsterdam... honestly, I didn't even think about it as a possibility.

But thanks for the suggestion.

-- Lex
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Originally Posted by firecat69
Traveller JIm

I applaud your good luck but thats exactly what it is and probably required hundreds of searches. In addition most people fly in and out of the same airport which of course you did not and used a lot more miles and dollars to get back to where you could find your way back to Asia but not where you were really going which was BKK

I looked at similar routing both for your months and months after and came up with nothing BKK JFK BKK IAD.

Sure DL Dumb gave me some green squares but when clicked on they all became yellow. In other no low award period in months of looking in either direction.

Was it just pure luck that you found Biz BKK NRT because looking on DL Dumb means nothing until you actually click through to buy.

The fact is for someone who doesn't mind spending hours and can adjust travel by weeks and can spend miles on other airlines , they might find a low level award.

For normal people there is no chance!!
fc,

Yes, it did take patience and searching over a month +.
Initially I found the Business class seat by accident as I
looked for BKK-IAD possibilities. 2 seats came available for
July 12th...so I quickly clicked the green square screen...
and it also showed available for 100,000 miles total roundtrip
the Business seats from NRT to JFK segment...coach in BKK-NRT and
coach in JFK-IAD.

I looked for return 2 seats coach from IAD as it was a dummy return for us...
just wanted to get the Bus class outbound confirmed for us...and YES! Got them.

Then, with more patience and looks at the available options...
looked for 2 seats return in Business low tier from any city in USA...
found the PDX-TPE-BKK Business seats...called DL and grabbed them.

Did the same thing is finding the Bus seats BKK-NRT leg ..
called when they appeared and grabbed them.

And same for the F seats JFK to Washington...
found them on same day as booked on JFK-DCA in F...
called DL...grabbed them.

It also helps to look at availability on DL award calendar for Business from BKK-NRT...
and also from NRT to your destination cities...and must be destination/departure cities flexible when booking award tix from BKK....to get more options for you...that gives you an idea when Bus seats are available...then try to put the pieces of the puzzle together to get you award ticket booking at low tier levels.

Also helps to look at availability fm SIN, TPE, HKG as those routes seem to have more Bus class seats available than the BKK-NRT route. Low cost carriers in Thailand/Asia fm BKK to those cities gives you added choices to use DL miles and get Bus Class seats at low tier.

Good luck! I wish DL award searches were as easy as AA or BA..
they are easy to use and find available flights at all levels..
and I do NOT have any elite status with them.

That is a s sad scene for us as loyal DL fliers ...
to be stuck with such a poor and broken DL award system.

Just maybe Mr Anderson can throw a few Million $$$
at fixing the broken DL IT award system???
Don't hold your breath!

tj

Last edited by travelerjim; Apr 30, 2011 at 8:41 am
Old May 1, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
Just booked a rt tix from tpa to lga for $5 -- 25k. Paid $5 in taxes. Yay for bonus miles!
Old May 13, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Okay I am new to this and booked tickets through delta.com without any outside help. So this is my itinerary:

12/3 - RSW-DTW-PEK coach
12/11 - HKG-NRT coach
12/12 - HND-DTW-RSW business/first

I booked 2 tickets for 120,000 miles each. Just curious what is the lowest that I could have booked these tickets for? Did I waste my miles? Thanks
Old May 13, 2011, 2:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cereal8u
Okay I am new to this and booked tickets through delta.com without any outside help. So this is my itinerary:

12/3 - RSW-DTW-PEK coach
12/11 - HKG-NRT coach
12/12 - HND-DTW-RSW business/first

I booked 2 tickets for 120,000 miles each. Just curious what is the lowest that I could have booked these tickets for? Did I waste my miles? Thanks
USA to China in Y is 35K miles
HKG to USA in J is 60K miles

95K miles total is at the LOWEST level. If you have indeed paid the LOW J award rate from HKG to the USA, as you probably did, you should be entitled to the HKG/NRT segment in J if it becomes available, but if you're not an upper level Medallion, you may have to pay a change fee to get it changed.

Last edited by davetravels; May 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 13, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm only silver Don't know if it would be worth $300.

Originally Posted by davetravels
USA to China in Y is 35K miles
HKG to USA in J is 60K miles

95K miles total is at the LOWEST level. If you have indeed paid the LOW J award rate from HKG to the USA, as you probably did, you should be entitled to the HKG/NRT segment in J if it becomes available, but if you're not an upper level Medallion, you may have to pay a change fee to get it changed.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Had to call in to get this, but was able to get another 100k award for RT travel San Diego to Paris, this one for next year (Mar 12).

SAN-SEA in F on Alaska.
SEA-CDG in Affaires on Air France (A330)
CDG-LAX in Affaires on Air France (B777)
LAX-SAN in F on an RJ.

Couldn't get both long haul segments on AF without calling, but happy with the results.
Old May 13, 2011, 6:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
After LOTS AND LOTS of work (), I booked the following yesterday:

PIT/JFK/TXL in LOW Y - snagged EComfort bulkhead - last week of July

TXL/CDG/JFK/PIT in LOW J - early August

Total: 80K miles - Yay!!

I got the EXACT dates I wanted! The only thing I would've preferred, is TXL/JFK/PIT, to sleep in a little later, & have 1 less connection, but ALL of my connections are short! Imagine that!

Layovers:
2:22 @ JFK
1:30 @ CDG - crossing my fingers - but not much time for the AF Club!
1:50 @ JFK - should be OK

Last edited by davetravels; May 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm
Old May 13, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know this may not be on topic, but I am new to FT and wanted to get the "expert" opinion...

My wife and I are traveling to Australia in November on an award ticket. Flying MCO-LAX on November 10th on DL 1061 (in F) connecting to DL 17 (LAX-SYD) in BE. Return flights are on November 26th, DL 16 (SYD-LAX) in BE and DL 1061 (LAX-MCO) in F. I booked the flights in January at medium mileage (240,000 per person r/t) after saving up our miles for 3+ years, and while I was very excited to get these flights at this level, I'm wondering if there is any chance that one (or both) of these flights will show up at low mileage in the future. I have been checking them daily but so far no luck. Any suggestions? I'm relatively new to finding the best deals for award flights, and I'd love to get any insight from the experts on FT.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.