Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
South Africa and Europe in J for 120,000 miles

2 tickets from the U.S. to South Africa including a 4 day stopover in Europe (120K miles in J per ticket)

Low level business class awards are available! Use EF and KVS to search Sky Team partner availability.

1. Atlanta – Prague Delta 767 (2 day stopover)
2. Prague – Warsaw Czech Air 737 (1 day stopover)
3. Warsaw – Amsterdam KLM 737 (1 day stopover)
4. Amsterdam – Cape Town KLM 777 (8 day stopover)
5. Johannesburg – Paris Air France A380
Paris – Miami Air France 747
Miami – Atlanta Delta 757
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by Dreps
BeachBum, are you flying on DL metal?
Yes, flying a 767ER both ways.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Sept 7-12
JFK-CDG
1 day stopover
CDG-FLR
FLR-DUB-JFK

Low BE award- 100,000 miles + $99 in taxes. Definitely took some work, but a lot of patience and the sticky note thread about how to find low BE awards definitely did well by me. Kudos to a great agent on the medallion desk for his help too ^
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:31 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Took a ton of work online on my own, then two calls to the online support line.

Feb MSP-MEM-AMS-MUC all in F/C

Mar MUC-ATL (C) - MSP (Y)
one night layover in MSP, then
MAR MSP-SEA-ANC in F with AS

All for 100K miles and $78 in taxes/fees.

I like being able to add the MSP-ANC leg for no more miles and only $5 more in taxes. I could have done this n/s with DL but only in Y. Without the MSP-ANC flight, the published fare would be about $3,700.

Now to find a way to get back from ANC to the lower 48 for a great price.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Start another award ticket and stop in MSP? Would that be legal?

Originally Posted by fti
Took a ton of work online on my own, then two calls to the online support line.

Feb MSP-MEM-AMS-MUC all in F/C

Mar MUC-ATL (C) - MSP (Y)
one night layover in MSP, then
MAR MSP-SEA-ANC in F with AS

All for 100K miles and $78 in taxes/fees.

I like being able to add the MSP-ANC leg for no more miles and only $5 more in taxes. I could have done this n/s with DL but only in Y. Without the MSP-ANC flight, the published fare would be about $3,700.

Now to find a way to get back from ANC to the lower 48 for a great price.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:51 pm

Iditarod (early March 2011) PHL-ANC in First - Low.
Sixth year running on Delta points.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Start another award ticket and stop in MSP? Would that be legal?
Sure it would be legal and is something I am considering. With all the trips I take to AK, it is worth considering. Just need to figure out ANC-MSP-??? but the hitch is that anything would require a stop in MSP in each direction, which is not allowed. I have AA and AS miles that allow OW awards and sometimes cheap OW tickets become available on that route.

Originally Posted by njswamps
Iditarod (early March 2011) PHL-ANC in First - Low. Sixth year running on Delta points.
That is why I am going to ANC in early March. I was at the restart in Willow two years ago but not the ceremonial start. This time I plan to take advantage of both, plus other activities. I looked at March 6/7 return but no availability, so I assume you are returning later?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Wink

MCO-ANC Oct 30-Nov 2nd. This is a saver award 45,000 miles F on DL/AS through SEA.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA General Member, Marriott Gold
Booked 2 tickets about a month ago, MCI-TXL through JFK 150,000 miles each, F on domestic segments, and B/E on international legs. Leaving June 27, return July 4th
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM
ATL-SFO-ATL for 25K in September. I am hopeful that by the time of my trip DL will have implemented the UG for Award Tix. I have never had a problem garnering award ticket redemption. Maybe I am biased because I reside in the mothership of ATL? Either way I am always pleased with DL!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Mallen79
ATL-SFO-ATL for 25K in September. I am hopeful that by the time of my trip DL will have implemented the UG for Award Tix. I have never had a problem garnering award ticket redemption. Maybe I am biased because I reside in the mothership of ATL? Either way I am always pleased with DL!
Even if they do, its likely that all award ticket upgrades will clear after medallions on paid tickets; meaning youd be clearing after silvers on T fares.
On that route? Dream on!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA General Member, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Even if they do, its likely that all award ticket upgrades will clear after medallions on paid tickets; meaning youd be clearing after silvers on T fares.
On that route? Dream on!
I remember reading somewhere that they will clear each medallion at a time, like DM paid, then DM award, and so on, though this was early on in the 2010 SM rollout.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
After trying to book this daily -- usually several times daily -- for 38 consecutive days, I finally managed to unload another 50,000 miles Miles of Domestic Resort by booking a pair of "low" MSP-PDX tickets for mid-October.

On day 1 (10 May) I could have booked this on Continental, United or Southwest. On day 3 I booked it on Southwest just in case. Finally on day 38 I nailed it on Delta.

Only 75,000 Miles of Domestic Resort to go. I can't imagine why I would ever want more Miles of Domestic Resort so I can continue beating my head against the wall in this manner.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 18, 2010 at 4:24 am
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Award Ticket Success - "Almost" Low Tier

Hi Everyone,

I know that the award tix debacle comes up on here frequently. I had some relative success yesterday! I am flying to LAX in a couple of weeks over the 4th of July weekend and my best friend in ATL asked if she could head out. Tix were $500ish, which was a little steep for the weekend, so I looked into miles tix for ATL-LAX-ATL.

The lowest was 32,500 miles (direct to LAX, connecting on the return) and 40,000 to avoid connections. While this is not the lowest 25K miles, I did not think 32.5k was bad for a ticket to SoCal over the summer and on a long weekend (Fri-Sun travel).

"Those" tix might really be out there...lol.

cheers,
robin
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Oh, they're out there & I've been ignoring them just as I've been ignoring the 40K itins.

Why give in? The competition not only is pricing at 25K but is available.

Delta does seem to have been tweaking/improving domestic award availability lately, probably in response to all the bad publicity that's finally been hitting the media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.