Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
It's sad that we got to the point where we break out the champagne when a near-low, but closer to medium domestic coach award is found.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
There are plenty of 25K ATL<>LAX awards. May be the easiest LOW out there.

Even summer had some available a while back, but gone now.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe

Even summer had some available a while back, but gone now.
Doesn't matter to those who feel they are entitled to the low awards when they want them......
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This thread is a good place to record this not-quite-low reward.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...anomalies.html
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
[QUOTE=3Cforme;14154307]This thread is a good place to record this not-quite-low reward.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...anomalies.html[/QUOTE32.5 is not a pricing anomaly. It is a combination of Low on one leg and Medium on the other leg.

David
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Resist! Don't let DL brainwash you into thinking 40K is okay for a domestic Y award, when 25K is the standard on all other legacy carriers.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Resist! Don't let DL brainwash you into thinking 40K is okay for a domestic Y award, when 25K is the standard on all other legacy carriers.
Is 25K REALLY that common over July 4th weekend?

If either you are MikeM could back up these statements I would be somewhat surprised.

And BTW, the OP said 32K.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi Everyone,

I know that the award tix debacle comes up on here frequently. I had some relative success yesterday! I am flying to LAX in a couple of weeks over the 4th of July weekend and my best friend in ATL asked if she could head out. Tix were $500ish, which was a little steep for the weekend, so I looked into miles tix for ATL-LAX-ATL.

The lowest was 32,500 miles (direct to LAX, connecting on the return) and 40,000 to avoid connections. While this is not the lowest 25K miles, I did not think 32.5k was bad for a ticket to SoCal over the summer and on a long weekend (Fri-Sun travel).

"Those" tix might really be out there...lol.

cheers,
robin
Glad you're happy with it.

But 32,500 > 25,000

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Doesn't matter to those who feel they are entitled to the low awards when they want them......
Those who proclaim it's OK for Delta to deny pax a reasonable chance of "getting low awards when they want them," are doing a disservice to their fellow passengers.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by rwoman
Tix were $500ish
The lowest was 32,500 miles (direct to LAX, connecting on the return)
Indeed, I applaud you ^

1.5 cents per mile is about what one can expect, I suppose...

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
No, one just wishes for a program that comes close to approaching the value of competitor programs.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond

If either you are MikeM could back up these statements I would be somewhat surprised.

I was speaking in general terms. CO does have standard F awards available for July 2nd-4th for 50K miles for ATL-LAX (on CO, US, and UA metal). Don't see any low Y right now, but I have no status with them. Would be very different were I still CO Plat. Their award availability for Plats was quite amazing, when I used to fly with them.

An even more interesting data point...CO has standard F and/or Y for ATL-LAX for 30 out of the 31 days in July and also 30 out of 31 for August. This tells quite a story, especially for someone with zero status.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jun 18, 2010 at 8:32 am
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

I booked & flew a 25K mile 4th-of-July-weekend trip for 2 (MSP-BOI) on NW a while back, but I booked it several months out, not two weeks out & had to tweak it a couple times to improve the itin.

A Plat (as is the OP) should have a chance at booking that, although perhaps not this late.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!

If either you are (sic) MikeM could back up these statements I would be somewhat surprised.

Well, be surprised. Saver First is readily available on continental.com over July 4th weekend.

continental.com.
July 1 50K for F and 25K for Y
July 2 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 3 50K for F and 50K for Y

Returning LAX to ATL:
July 3 50K for F and 25K for Y
July 4 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 5 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 6 50K for F and 25K for Y

This availability is for someone with no status.

Delta:
July 1 80K for F and 40K for Y
July 2 80K for F and 40K for Y
July 3 80K for F and 40K for Y

Returning LAX to ATL:
July 3 80K for F and 40K for Y
July 4 80K for F and 40K for Y
July 5 80K for F and 40K for Y
July 6 80K for F and 40K for Y

above also for someone with no status.

Sorry, DL loses hands down. Why would someone spend 40K for Y when they can spend 50K for F? And anyone wanting F to start with saves 30K miles.

The only things that keep me using DL for award travel are (1) I book way in advance and can often be flexible with my dates, meaning I only pay the low mileage level, and (2) the free domestic stopover, which is huge. But realistically, how many people plan their trips 9-11 months in advance and can be so flexible? Not many.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Keep in mind DL has been notorious for opening low's on horrendous routings and such. I wish you all the best of luck finding good itins for low. I've had good luck on domestic lows, but because I'm in MSP it was pretty easy to find connectionless itins.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:59 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Keep in mind DL has been notorious for opening low's on horrendous routings and such. I wish you all the best of luck finding good itins for low. I've had good luck on domestic lows, but because I'm in MSP it was pretty easy to find connectionless itins.
I have a hard time finding connection-less itins, even looking from MSP. Twice I am flying MSP to/from ANC via ATL. But that is the only routing available, so I will live with it (just hoping one of the flights fills up so we get bumped. The last laugh will be on DL).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Well, be surprised. Saver First is readily available on continental.com over July 4th weekend.

continental.com.
July 1 50K for F and 25K for Y
July 2 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 3 50K for F and 50K for Y

Returning LAX to ATL:
July 3 50K for F and 25K for Y
July 4 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 5 50K for F and 50K for Y
July 6 50K for F and 25K for Y

This availability is for someone with no status.
I just priced it July1 - July 6 and no SaverPass showed up. The flight priced at 50K RT on all selections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.