Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Why don't you ease up a bit. You yourself just joined in January, and have just over 100 posts.

Everybody starts as a new member. No need to be derogatory.

David
Thanks Man. I was cool with it really....the "extolling" and "new member" blast/comment. Feel a little like a schlub because it is clear this site has been out here for a long time and I am new to it and have feeling this will just be one more thing that will start taking some of my time on the road. Had a buddy tell me about this place a few years back and kinda just forgot about it.

Take care and Travel Safe. BHawk.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well, Babyhawk, you're here now, and will learn lots about how to redeem the right way. Sit back, and you'll learn.

Many NW and DL folk are disillusioned with redeeming miles. If you can plan a bit more ahead, I'm sure you can get a much better deal, the next time.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Told my son ( 14 year old) I would take him to Tokyo after school was out if he got straight A's. Well just booked on Delta ATL to NRT round trip for 60K each. Not bad as it would have been tought to afford with the economy as it is. But .............14 hours ina couch seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by tuono07
Told my son ( 14 year old) I would take him to Tokyo after school was out if he got straight A's. Well just booked on Delta ATL to NRT round trip for 60K each. Not bad as it would have been tought to afford with the economy as it is. But .............14 hours ina couch seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have done JFK-HKG and LAX-SYD (and back) in coach. Fortunately for the LAX-SYD flight I had an exit row. I survived
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by fti
I have done JFK-HKG and LAX-SYD (and back) in coach. Fortunately for the LAX-SYD flight I had an exit row. I survived
Yea we have the window / aisle exit row booked so I think we'll make it.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
SFO-PDX-AMS-ATH on AS/DL/KL in J 4/1/10
ATH-CDG-SFO on AF in J 4/7/10
2 pax, 100k mi each + a few hundred in taxes. (Was originally only able to get ATH-JFK-SFO on DL in J for 100k mi (150k r/t each), but AF opened up availability).

Not totally thrilled with the outbound as there's a 12+ hr layover in AMS and I have to go on a nasty 763 from PDX, but it's at least getting me there.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MP Gold, *Wood Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Burning through my last SkyPesos, thank God...I just booked PHL-CDG roundtrip on the exact dates I wanted, no stopover/connection, for 60K in coach. That's $970 on a T-fare. It's kind of sad, but at 1.5 cents per mile, I think I am doing great...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Well, Babyhawk, you're here now, and will learn lots about how to redeem the right way. Sit back, and you'll learn.

Many NW and DL folk are disillusioned with redeeming miles. If you can plan a bit more ahead, I'm sure you can get a much better deal, the next time.
Hey...thanks so much. 11K+ posts? Amazing. Feel a little weird that I am just getting on this site now but better late then never I guess. Thanks and travel safely. BHawk.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:00 pm

Define success

About three weeks ago I booked an early June trip to Venice for two with a return via Rome in business class for 200,000 miles each and my friends booked coach on the same flights for 90,000 miles each. Success to me would have been 100,000 and 60,000 mile bookings.

I tried for a South America booking for next January and at 331 days out the flight down was 200,000 miles. By the time the return became available, it was 275,000 miles for the round trip. I passed and booked on Air Canada using its metal down and US Airways back. The booking was for business and only required 75,000 miles although for now I am coach down (hoping for something to open up) and business back. Delta wanted 160,000 round trip for coach.

I'll admit that my Venice out Rome back trip was in high season and on the most convenient flights available. Still a purchased business class ticket cost under $3,600 and in miles it cost me 200,000 plus the lost miles for the rt of approximately 10,500 so I only got 1.7 cents per mile in value.

For me success begins at 2 cents per mile and I try for 4 or more. The Air Canada trip has a value coach/business of $2,600 and over $3,600 all business. This works out at a value per mile between 3 cents and 4.2 cents. That's success.

The Delta ticket is a questionable use of miles and hard to call a success. It certainly isn't to be bragged about.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Plat, SPG gold
IAD>CDG tomorrow! for 100k/RT in BE and on AF.
I would call that a success.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
1 BE this July-August
SAN-SLC-CDG, CDG-IAD (AF)- CVG- SAN 100k BE. The easiest part was finding the international legs. Trying to find low coach or F domestic Delta legs was near impossible. Its such crap that DL's awards are a la carte, so even if you have a medium coach on a low BE award, you pay for both awards, thus jacking the price up. With tons of patience, I pieced it all together for 100k with only 1 short domestic leg in coach, but it was obnoxious to have to do one way searches for each leg for multiple gateways on multiple dates.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pitbrian
1 BE this July-August
SAN-SLC-CDG, CDG-IAD (AF)- CVG- SAN 100k BE. The easiest part was finding the international legs. Trying to find low coach or F domestic Delta legs was near impossible. Its such crap that DL's awards are a la carte, so even if you have a medium coach on a low BE award, you pay for both awards, thus jacking the price up. With tons of patience, I pieced it all together for 100k with only 1 short domestic leg in coach, but it was obnoxious to have to do one way searches for each leg for multiple gateways on multiple dates.

Not having the same amount of patience I just booked BOS-SLC-NRT ICN-SIN-CDG-LHR-BOS for 175k in coach with the SIN-CDG portion in BE. Had to move one flight out by 3 days to reduce it from 230k...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Silver
9/10 LAX-CAN-SIN, CZ
9/21 SIN-NRT-PDX-PHX DL&AS

all business class, 120k miles.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:23 pm

Booked a ticket today, for travel SATURDAY to Indy for the Final Four.

BOS-CVG-IND
IND-BOS

32,500 miles round trip in Y.

CHEAPEST fare that left on Sat that got in before 5pm was $950
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lizzy queen of the conference room
IAD>CDG tomorrow! for 100k/RT in BE and on AF.
I would call that a success.
Just booked two round-trip AF business class tickets, IAD-CDG. Out on 7/21 and back on 7/27. 100K each plus $131 in combined taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.