Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, PC PM, MR LTP, HH DM
Originally Posted by tuono07
Told my son ( 14 year old) I would take him to Tokyo after school was out if he got straight A's. Well just booked on Delta ATL to NRT round trip for 60K each. Not bad as it would have been tought to afford with the economy as it is. But .............14 hours ina couch seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by tuono07
Yea we have the window / aisle exit row booked so I think we'll make it.
I hope he turn's 15 before the flight or you're going to get a rude awakening.... See, you must be 15 or older, able to understand English, not traveling with small children or pets, not require a seat extension, to fly in the wonderful exit row. ^

(just edited) Sorry, ignore me, I just realized you're a PM and know all this. Some days my fingers are faster than my brain......

Last edited by browell; Apr 1, 2010 at 8:35 am Reason: change of heart....
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Successes

This week I booked
ATL-SAT-ATL 4/23-26 for 25K
ATL-MEM-YYZ-ATL 9/2-7 for 25K

That's a yukky connection on the outbound for the Toronto trip, but getting a low-mileage award around Labor Day seems miraculous.

I'm pretty much cleaned out of DL miles right now, but I have trips to Paris and Seattle coming up that should give me about 6-8K by summer. I'm focusing on Airtran when I can, though.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
MAD

Used AS miles for it, but the success was finding saver space on DL

Had been watching for about two weeks, and finally three days before my 'theoretical' departure, MAD opened up.

4/4/10 ANC-PDX on AS PDX-JFK-MAD on DL
4/8/10 MAD-JFK-SEA on DL, SEA-ANC on AS

Travel in BusinessElite
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:27 pm

just booked for mid-jan 2011 (returning in early feb 2011)
SFO-CDG-AMS on AF
AMS-SFO on KL

layover CDG-AMS is three hours. would have preferred the nonstop but that's what i have.

booked online, all in business for 100,000 miles and $88.90 in taxes.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:30 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Success of sorts. 25K miles economy

Apr 9 MSP-ANC n/s 5.15pm departure
Apr 12 ANC-MSP - only options were 9.15am n/s or 7.30pm via SEA. I really wanted the 9.30pm n/s (wide open - selling about 40+ economy seats). Can't come back on the 9.15am flight but by booking it, I can do SDC to the later flight that night.

Even though both flights are pretty wide open, no F award seats for the low mileage unless via SEA. With such a short trip, that is not interesting to me.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
award ticket success!

I flew my family (5 of us) from FLL-DEN r/t in Feb in first with 45k mi per ticket. I booked them in Nov.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:18 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by fti

Apr 12 ANC-MSP - only options were 9.15am n/s or 7.30pm via SEA. I really wanted the 9.30pm n/s (wide open - selling about 40+ economy seats). Can't come back on the 9.15am flight but by booking it, I can do SDC to the later flight that night.

Even though both flights are pretty wide open, no F award seats for the low mileage unless via SEA. With such a short trip, that is not interesting to me.
This morning the redeye return opened up. Couldn't make the change online (tried twice and twice got an error message). So I called to rebook it. Literally the first thing out of the agent's mouth was, "There will be a $50 change fee."

Huh? The reservation is not even ticketed yet. How can there be a change fee? Delta must just have their agents trained to repeat the word "fee" as often as possible . When I enlightened him that the reservation was not even ticketed, he backed off.

I didn't trust him to process the payment and not charge the phone fee (multiple reports on FT about PM and DM being charged the phone fee and taking months of communication and CC disputing to get it back). So he made the change then I processed the payment online.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by fti

Why not just book the F award and then SDC as well????
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
How does SDC work on award tickets anyway? If I'm in BE for an early-morning flight, can I SDC to a later one and keep my seat in BE?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: NW PLAT DL PLAT 1mm
Just booked mid Jan 2011 SEA - CDG returning 5 days later - Business Class AF 100,000. Had to book and pay for CDG - HAJ , HAJ - ZRH and ZRH - CDG separately on AF and AB for an extra $300.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Delta ate *this* "Award Ticket Success"

Originally Posted by jokeram
Not having the same amount of patience I just booked BOS-SLC-NRT ICN-SIN-CDG-LHR-BOS for 175k in coach with the SIN-CDG portion in BE. Had to move one flight out by 3 days to reduce it from 230k...
Per this subsequent message from the above poster:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-do-i-do.html
the above "Award Ticket Success" was later wiped out by Delta's computers.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
Don't think this qualifies as any sort of a special bargain, but I booked 2 first class tickets to Hawaii (DCA-MSP-LAX-LIH and OGG-LAX-ATL-DCA) for 135,000 miles apiece - leaving Dec 30 and returning Jan 15 next year.

Saw one other option available for 105,000, but the days were not convenient for work schedule.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
DL, AF, and Air Seychelles Success

Using a variety of posts I was able to find MCI-DTW-CDG-SEZ-CDG-DTW-MCI for 2 in J at 120,000/ticket last night. Low Awards do exist, but the DM line agents have trouble booking them. You have to find your own seats and then book on delta.com multi-city and select the flights you've previously found with low award availability. Delta.com doesn't yet have the ability to display Skyteam confirmation numbers, but if you wait a few days and call the DM desk, they can look it up. I was able to select seats on the AF and HM flights via airfrance.us.

It's a good idea to check your seats when booking Skyteam flights via delta.com. Before I checked at airfrance.com, they had my fiancee and me at opposite corners of the business cabin on all flights (maybe delta.com thought that was a good idea for a honeymoon trip--we'd need some space after the wedding)??
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Success up to a limited point:
SLC-ORD to visit my family mid July (on an MD-90, even, instead of CRJ)
ORD-AMS-HEL first leg on a crappy KLM 747 mid July
3 weeks in Europe then
PRG-ATL-SLC first leg on a crappy DL 767 early August

3 tickets in coach, 75K each (could not find a cheap PRG-SLC routing) +$75 taxes.

I know, not spectacular, but I can't sleep in J anyway and I'm just happy I can still use miles in peak for a sort-of-near-reasonable rate!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:43 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
I've posted about this elsewhere, but I booked PHL-DTW-AMS-VCE, and the reverse on the return, all in F/J, for 100k miles plus $100 in taxes per ticket. I originally booked the tickets at 200k/ticket, and kept calling as additional inventory opened. I also had a couple of schedule changes that resulted in mis-connects as originally routed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.