Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Thumbs up

2 SkySavers Biz Elite all Delta metal for Labor Day weekend.

1) FLL > JFK > KBP (Kiev) > JFK > FLL - 90K SkyMiles
2) FLL > ATL > SVO (Moscow) > ATL > FLL - 90K SkyMiles

Only one date of the 4 dates desired did I have to be flexible.

Being PM is great because I can cancel with no penalties and 100% refund of taxes as long as I do it on line. Sweet!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I thought there was an extra fee for booking award tix within the last two weeks before the flight, but no... Just booked for the Gargoylette this week, open jaw ATL-ORD MDW-ATL, got exactly the flights I wanted in SkySaver (and there were lots of other SkySaver choices the both Chicago airports the same days), total fees $5.00.

The minimum purchase price for this flight this week is about $550, so well worth the 25k miles. This was too easy- something must be wrong?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Got my parents 2 economy tix using my miles in May

SFO-PDX(AS)-AMS(NW)-PRG(OK)-CDG(AF)-SFO.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Another SQ Premium Class award

One SQ J Award for the week leading up to US Labor Day, pretty much got the dates I wanted and I'm happy enough with the nonstop flights-- will be better still if the A345's get refurbished to the new Business Class in an all-J configuration, as is rumored.

ATL-LAX-SIN-BKK-vv. Bangkok legs booked into Economy, of course, but I hope to get put into Business if there's availability on the day of travel. Waitlisted for First Class on the ATL-LAX leg, but hopefully that will clear.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, DL, US, EI, BA
I have had 100% success getting the exact M fare flights that I want, at reasonable (about $2,100 but not cheap) M fares, with instant and confirmed BE upgrades for 50,000 miles roundtrip to DUB, LGW, OTP, FCO, PRG and NRT with as little as one week and as much as 3 months advance booking, during the last 5 months. M has always been available and has always had the upgrade available.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:59 pm

Three Skysavers for JFK-SJO-HPN in April. Non stop down, connect thru Atlanta heading back. Had to go Sun to Sat, would have prefered Sat to following Sun, but it wasn't worth the double miles. Also would have prefered return to LGA ofr JFK, but that wasn't available.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:00 pm

It's scary to think that many of those $2,100 M fares were ~$1,000 just a few years ago.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
IAD-SVO-HEL
SVO-IAD

All on Aeroflot. During the "hold" period Delta seemed to have lost my reservation. I freaked out b/c at that time they said there was no availability left ... but they somehow recovered the intinerary.

Not a bad deal for 50,000 miles and ~$25. June too, while not absolute peak travel time to Europe, still fairly expensive to buy regular ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Atl -> Bkk

3 tickets in coach leaving Jan 25th and returning Feb 16th. Booked today and very easy except that they never spell my wifes name correctly on the award ticket no matter how many times I spell it for the agent. Always have to get that changed and even that was relatively painless.

ATL -> SFO on DL
SFO -> BKK (via NRT) on NW
BKK -> ICN on KE
ICN -> ATL on DL

LS
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta-PM Continental-PM
Another SQ Premium Award

FLL-SFO-SIN-DEL-SIN-LAX-FLL DL/SQ all 1 F and 1 J on outbound + both F on return (different dates due to business)....
Absolutely the best use of Delta Skymiles--- 140k for the 1 txt and 130k for the J/F..... took 1 phone call and less than 30mins...probably should try to lottery next... got these a couple weeks ago...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by LastSurvivor
BKK -> ICN on KE
ICN -> ATL on DL
That's a brutal layover.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mtparadis
That's a brutal layover.
Agreed! I once did a long layover in NRT and just about died. I was also flying on a buddy pass so had to clear security and make my way to Delta ticketing for standby. Not a fun day but I made it! At least with ICN there are short term hotels and maybe we'll get a bit of shuteye for about 7 hours before the long flight home.

LS
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by LastSurvivor
Agreed! I once did a long layover in NRT and just about died.
The Naritasan Temple complex is 20 minutes from NRT. Mrs. Gargoyle had a 7 hour layover a few years back, we scheduled a private tour with one of their volunteer english language tour guides. Within an hour of deplaning she was sitting in the visitors center, sipping tea with the guide.

A couple of her tour photos:
http://stonecarver.com/gargoyles/naritasan.html

The Naritasan Temple website, in English:
http://www.city.narita.chiba.jp/engl...ome/naritasan/
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I thought there was an extra fee for booking award tix within the last two weeks before the flight, but no... Just booked for the Gargoylette this week, open jaw ATL-ORD MDW-ATL, got exactly the flights I wanted in SkySaver (and there were lots of other SkySaver choices the both Chicago airports the same days), total fees $5.00.

The minimum purchase price for this flight this week is about $550, so well worth the 25k miles. This was too easy- something must be wrong?

The fee is $75 if award travel booked within 21 days of departure. However, this fee is waived for PM or a PM using miles from his account for another passenger.

What I have also learned, is that when a PM books an award ticket, it is completely 100% changeable, cancellable, and refundable without a fee (minus the $20 phone fee or $5 online fee). In essence, an award ticket for a PM is the exact same as a fully refundable ticket (if the PM is on the itinerary and this applies to other passengers on the itinerary) and hence I have been booking solely award travel tickets this year as my chances of making PM for 2009 are small.....likely will be making only GM next year
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL GM
Follow up to above and more in line with this thread....

I booked two tickets from SAN-PHL for Thanskgiving 331 days out last week and was given the only available flights which were 6am with 2 connections both ways.....waitlisted later flights. Got the "contact Delta" message today Turns out that now (about 325 days out) every single flight from SAN-PHL and back have skysaver eats available for thanksgiving weekend....

I don't get why they don't just open them up exactly 331 days out rather than play this game! Oh and if I wan't PM, it would have cost me $75/ticket to change the itinerary to the now available later departure times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.