Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by PeachesLaTour
Based on online research on delta.com and the comments of others about limited availability of Skysaver Business Class seats to Europe, my husband and I decided to be flexible and play "Europe Roulette" for our trip in May 2008.

We called Delta 331 days in advance of our desired departures to and from Europe with a window of travel dates and a wish list of destinations.

To our surprise, we're off to Berlin (we just said "Germany" because availability into Frankfurt looked more likely than most European options; we ended up going with a different date than orginally planned), and we're coming home from London (which we wanted and were pleased to get; this time we got the date we wanted).

Our routing is a little cumbersome on departure (DCA to ATL to JFK to Berlin), and our layover on return is a little long, but I expect the schedules to change about 4,345 times between now and next May so I'm pretty sure things stand to improve in the end.

For both of our calls to the Int'l. Partners desk, the person we got was extremely helpful and patient (both were on the phone with us for more than an hour searching for the best options).

So, while it's not as easy and predictable as it was years ago, it's still possible to have a very nice free vacation flight on Delta!
Today, 27 June, I was able to extend my IAH-KRS award flight using Delta miles on KLM from a 15 July return KRS-AMS-CVG-IAH (CVG-IAH on an RJ after a 4 hour layover) to 19 July return KRS-AMS-IAH on the KLM Privatair all business service non-stop with the assitance of another "extremely helpful and patient" representative. If there is a better routing, and I assume there is, you may want to continue calling as your flight dates get closer. I called about 20 times over the last 3 months prior to my success. The $50 change fee was more than worth it to me.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:58 pm

In 2005...

The only time I've redeemed Delta miles...I had a more flexible schedule so it worked out amazingly!

In 2005, Delta had Africa split into "Northern" and "Southern." Northern was only 50,000 miles! I booked less than 2 months in advance, I flew from New York to Cairo, did my overland trip through the region, and flew back from Istanbul.

Most likely because it was relatively last-minute, this was NOT a simple flight:

JFK-BRU
BRU-AMS
AMS-CAI

IST-FCO (24 layover to hang out in rome)
FCO-BOS
BOS-JFK

How I long for those days...I would totally take a multi-leg flight if I could still get to Cairo for only 50,000 miles in 2007! Now it's back up to 80,000 for all Africa (or Middle East, not sure where Egypt is placed).
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:30 am
Original Poster

PVD-DCA skysaver in Y with travel commencing in 4 days. All on partner CO. Was able to get the days and times I wanted. Passenger has no status.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jul 2, 2007 at 3:24 pm
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Booked BE Skysaver award in June 2007 for DUB-JFK-DUB in January 2008 for the Wife cost €13.19 and also 90,000 Miles
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
2 SkySaver Coach. CAE-ATL-EGE for peak ski season in early March. There were several date ranges to choose from in Feb and March for my desired 5-night stay.

I see SS seats every day in Feb from ATL to SLC, but many of the outbounds are early in the morning and many of the SS return dates are limited to redeyes. (Noteworthy is that I am seeing a 12:15am redeye SLC-ATL that starts around Dec 15. That could be very good for folks that are seeking an overnight mileage run on a discount rate that prohibits returning on the same day.)
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by sc flier
2 SkySaver Coach. CAE-ATL-EGE for peak ski season in early March. There were several date ranges to choose from in Feb and March for my desired 5-night stay.

I see SS seats every day in Feb from ATL to SLC, but many of the outbounds are early in the morning and many of the SS return dates are limited to redeyes. (Noteworthy is that I am seeing a 12:15am redeye SLC-ATL that starts around Dec 15. That could be very good for folks that are seeking an overnight mileage run on a discount rate that prohibits returning on the same day.)
And you could ski all day, have a nice dinner, and head for the airport. The outbound would probably get you to the slopes before noon.^^
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:31 am

I got a Korean airlines seat from FRA - INC - SYD - INC - FRA for 100.000 miles plus 76,77 euros tax for Feb 2008. I am soo pleased since I have never been able to redeem miles before.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:29 pm

BE Skysaver DUB-JFK departing Saturday (FO)
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Advantage, Dynasty
In Feb I booked lax-mia-gig for May 11th through the 20th for 50k miles. My first try and got the dates I wanted online. Unfortunately couldnt make the trip so had to cancel. DL returned my $69 but charged me $50 for cancellation but I got 1000 miles for booking online.

Just booked November 11th to the 21st and got skysaver lax-mia-gig.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Thumbs up The sky is not falling

Once again, my experience seems to contradict everyone else's evidence to the contrary. Called today on what I thought was a fool's errand (already had a UA/LH itinerary, but needed to change the dates slightly and got no love from *A). Reserved two J skysaver seats for August SNA-SEA(AS) SEA-CDG-VCE(AF), VCE-AMS-LAX(KL) on the exact dates I wanted. The routing through SEA is obviously suboptimal, but we all know hunting for availability on LAX-CDG is like searching for the tooth fairy.

Best part is it priced out to 90K---was expecting to take a hit on the new routing rules due to the SEA route, but even that didn't come to pass!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Yes, Virginia there are Skysaver awards out there.

For this fall I had BE DL FLL-ATL-AMS-ATL-FLL. Wanted to get more of adventure in so called just 3 months out and was able to change to:

MIA-CDG AF Biz (4 days)
CDG-CPH AF Biz (4 days)
CPH-AMS KL Biz (10 days)
AMS-BRU KL Biz (1 day)
BRU-ATL DL BE
ATL-FLL Dl 1st

All on one PNR so no weight concept issues on intra EU flights. Like I said all Skysaver too. Took some research on the agents part but, I got a good ITN for fewer miles.

PS: In general try LGW and BRU as EU gateways for BE saver best availability.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
All on one PNR so no weight concept issues on intra EU flights.
Sorry, but you do have weight restrictions on your intra EU flights. If you have a stopover, as opposed to a connection, the 2 piece concept does not apply.

The weight limits are dependent on the particular airline and will be the same as if you had paid for the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hey guys, I'm trying to book a business class ticket for next May on AF, SFO to FLR and back two weeks later.

The key is SFO-CDG leg availability.

I got the outbound of 5/18/08 (although would have preferred 5/17).

For the return, they're saying the FLR-CDG leg is available on 5/31 but that the CDG-SFO leg is only available on Monday, 6/2, rather than the Saturday or Sunday of that weekend.

What do you think, is there a chance the weekend seats have all sold out already or they're holding them?

I had called a couple of days ago, I think on 73 or 7/4 and they said AF had not released any seats for 5/30 or 5/31 yet.

I know you have to be flexible for awards, especially on partner airlines. But it would make a difference to fly back on a weekend versus a week day. As you can see, I tried to jump on these as soon as the dates opened up.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Hey guys, I'm trying to book a business class ticket for next May on AF, SFO to FLR and back two weeks later.

The key is SFO-CDG leg availability.

I got the outbound of 5/18/08 (although would have preferred 5/17).

For the return, they're saying the FLR-CDG leg is available on 5/31 but that the CDG-SFO leg is only available on Monday, 6/2, rather than the Saturday or Sunday of that weekend.

What do you think, is there a chance the weekend seats have all sold out already or they're holding them?

I had called a couple of days ago, I think on 73 or 7/4 and they said AF had not released any seats for 5/30 or 5/31 yet.

I know you have to be flexible for awards, especially on partner airlines. But it would make a difference to fly back on a weekend versus a week day. As you can see, I tried to jump on these as soon as the dates opened up.
Whenever I've tried on Air France from East Coast, certain days of the week seem to always be unavailable. I'd count my blessings and fly back on Monday as that sounds like a good itinerary.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
May/June 2008, Skysaver B/E:

Washington-ATL-DKR-JNB (DL in B/E)
JNB-CDG (AF in J) stopover in Paris
CDG-DTW-Washington (AF/NW in J/F)

Each segment booked at 330 day window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.