Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Can anyone come up with an explanation for this as to why someone higher on the D1 list has a lower priority than on the C + list?
Two days ago these folks were on the complimentary upgrade list with me for the D1 cabin from SFO>JFK...I've only listed people listed for both cabins:
Initials...D1...C +
FAB/M...#2...#1
QIU/L...#9...#2
DAV/T...#11...#3
HAL/M...#8...#4
RIC/L...#13...#5
RIC/C...#12...#6
STO/T...#14...#7
CHI/A...#7...#8
PAS/D...#17...#9
HOL/M...#18...#10
FIS/T...#19...#11
MAT/A...#20...#12
DAN?C...#21...#13
SHE/D...#22...#14
JOH/D...#23...#15
RIL/M...#25...#16
MAU/M...#26...#17
ALM/J...#28...#18
SAL/E...#24...#19
PAR/L...#29...#20
CAR/R...#30...#21
So my question again is what would cause the following people to be in a different priority order for D1 vs C +, meaning one is above the other on the D1 list but lower on the C + list?
QIU/L
DAV/T
HAM//M
RIC/L
RIC/C
CHI/A
SAL/E
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Using a RUC or GUC puts the person higher on the D1 upgrade list, but these instruments don't apply to C+ upgrades. This would seem to explain everyone on your bottom list except for CHI/A (#7 for C+ but #8 for D1), where my guess would be that someone was already upgraded to C+ and ranked above CHI/A for D1.

I'm not sure how refusing a middle C+ seat (by requesting aisle or window only) would affect the upgrade list--I would assume not at all--but it can explain why a C+ "upgrade" sometimes seems to be given to someone who is lower on the list while skipping over people who appear at the top of the list.

It looks like a lot of passengers attempted to use GUCs/RUCs for this flight, which isn't surprising for SFO-JFK.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:13 pm

Earned DM with reserve plus minimum hit for plat next year. Was 1 of 53 using RUC for JFK to LAX, started the day with 5 seats and zero at the gate. Not sure if I was leapfrogged by a GUC or just confirmed D1 from earlier flights chosing to SDC.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
On tonight's flight from SFO to JFK there are 2 D1 "Seats Remaining" on the Upgrade & Standby screen but if you try to book a seat the flight (including D1) is sold out. Does that mean D1 is sold out and those 2 seats remaining are yet to be assigned to people with D1 tickets, or are there actually 2 seats remaining that will go to people on the upgrade list (assuming it stays that way until boarding)?

Last edited by AGSF; Mar 22, 2022 at 6:47 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AGSF
On tonight's flight from SFO to JFK there are 2 D1 "Seats Remaining" on the Upgrade & Standby screen but if you try to book a seat the flight (including D1) is sold out. Does that mean D1 is sold out and those 2 seats remaining are yet to be assigned to people with D1 tickets, or are there actually 2 seats remaining that will go to people on the upgrade list (assuming it stays that way until boarding)?
My *guess* is that there are two people confirmed in D1 (either paid ticket or upgrade) who have not checked in yet. Once someone checks in, a seat is assigned and the seats available on the upgrade/standby numbers shown on the app go down.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My *guess* is that there are two people confirmed in D1 (either paid ticket or upgrade) who have not checked in yet. Once someone checks in, a seat is assigned and the seats available on the upgrade/standby numbers shown on the app go down.
That's my guess, too. I'm #1 on the D1 list (still showing 2 available) and C+ list (showing 1 available), so we'll see what happens. I'll report back!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by AGSF
That's my guess, too. I'm #1 on the D1 list (still showing 2 available) and C+ list (showing 1 available), so we'll see what happens. I'll report back!
Even if the final two do check in, there's a decent chance of a no show, SDC to another flight, missed flight/connection, etc. You might want to consider not boarding when D1/DM is called, especially if you're not desperate for overhead bin space.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:00 pm

Hi, as a new GM can someone explain how upgrades work at the gate? I have two trips scheduled this month. I understand that within 3 days I might be notified (and right now some of the flights have a lot of empty seats listed in the upgrade record). But how does it work at the gate? Do I need to do anything? My record shows I want to be upgraded to C+ or first. Thank you.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by grapefarmer
Hi, as a new GM can someone explain how upgrades work at the gate? I have two trips scheduled this month. I understand that within 3 days I might be notified (and right now some of the flights have a lot of empty seats listed in the upgrade record). But how does it work at the gate? Do I need to do anything? My record shows I want to be upgraded to C+ or first. Thank you.
You shouldn't need to do anything, just make sure you show up on the upgrade list in the app or on the website (or on the monitor at the gate) once you check in. Upgrades will typically get processed 30-45 minutes before departure, before boarding begins (unless they forget). You can refresh the app to double check, but either way if you get upgraded when you scan your original BP the printer will print out a new slip with your upgraded seat assignment.
grapefarmer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:17 pm

Just bought a last minute flight ATL-SLC on 763. Only middle seats in economy left, so I did not select a seat, figuring I have a better chance of the gate agent or system auto-assigning to a blocked seat, and can’t do any worse than options left. However, if you don’t have seat assignment, will there be any negative effect on comp upgrades? I assume system will upgrade into c+/F regardless of whether there is a seat assignment in Y, but I’ve never actually tested.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajggiant
Just bought a last minute flight ATL-SLC on 763. Only middle seats in economy left, so I did not select a seat, figuring I have a better chance of the gate agent or system auto-assigning to a blocked seat, and can’t do any worse than options left. However, if you don’t have seat assignment, will there be any negative effect on comp upgrades? I assume system will upgrade into c+/F regardless of whether there is a seat assignment in Y, but I’ve never actually tested.
Keep in mind that you can also set up an ExpertFlyer seat alert to email you if any aisle and/or window seats open up
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:16 pm

Also, you'd be surprised how much movement there seems to be in seat assignments, especially as departure approaches, presumably due to upgrades and SDCs. (Check especially right after the DM/PM and GM windows open for upgrades, and also after T-24 when people become eligible to SDC to a different flight.) If you keep stalking your seat maps, chances are very good that a seat you like will become available.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Have a trip tomorrow and as a PM, I am not showing up on the upgrade lists. My trip details show upgrade requested for both legs but when looking at the upgrade list, I am not on it. First time I have noticed this, any ideas as to why?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by prhockey2607
Have a trip tomorrow and as a PM, I am not showing up on the upgrade lists. My trip details show upgrade requested for both legs but when looking at the upgrade list, I am not on it. First time I have noticed this, any ideas as to why?
If you've already checked in, then a glitch has probably occurred. Try checking in again and see if that helps. If not, call and mention the issue and suggest that they un-do the check-in and you can try again (have them wait on the phone while you do this in case further action on their end is needed)

If you haven't checked in yet, then the answer is much simpler you don't appear on the list until you check in.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have a flight tomorrow where a 20 seat F cabin is mostly empty yet appears no upgrades have been processed. Its the 2nd segment of my trip and DL isn't even offering a paid upgrade... yet the direct flight they are. Pretty crappy.

Am wondering if this segment is going to be glitched once I'm able to check in and not be on the upgrade list. Tried removing and re-adding the upgrade request but not sure if that will fix anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.