Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by kjnangre
DTW/ATL for sure! But I never understood why you're set on MSP. It's a beautiful area don't get me wrong, but it's just not in the same league as the big west coast cities, which are better served by SEA.
MSP historically has been a good (financial) performer for DL; SEA has always been a below network average performer since they started up the hub. Also DL has far more connections to feed flights at MSP, whereas DL has a smaller network at SEA and has to fight with AS for customers in a market where they’re probably still pretty loyal to the hometown airline.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Auto-reply on Twitter just now:

Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles -- Gold Medallion
I thought Florida got rid of quarantine rules from New York area, but I guess not. I'm planning to fly from NYC to Miami for July 4th on DL. Does anyone know how that works? Does Delta give you forms that no one checks? Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by ab2013
It’s impressive to see DL sustaining this level of service at SEA in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
DL has no choice as the POS (Port of Seattle) allocates gates at Sea-Tac based on capacity; if they do not want to lose gates, they need to maintain some decent amount of service. Hence why SEA has had more flights than for example LAX during the pandemic...
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:05 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by JordanV
I thought Florida got rid of quarantine rules from New York area, but I guess not. I'm planning to fly from NYC to Miami for July 4th on DL. Does anyone know how that works? Does Delta give you forms that no one checks? Thank you.
I have three acquaintances currently “residing” in FL escaping NY. The order has been extended to at least July 7 from what I have read however, amongst my three “case studies”, none has received any follow up from authorities of any kind and anecdotally it seems that the definition of “quarantine” is viewed very differently by different people. Also, some of the initial “refugees” have begun to emerge from the 14 day period so it seems to be impossible to enforce at this point as no one has reported that any records are being kept to check up on any of yous guyz. 😀.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
DL has no choice as the POS (Port of Seattle) allocates gates at Sea-Tac based on capacity; if they do not want to lose gates, they need to maintain some decent amount of service. Hence why SEA has had more flights than for example LAX during the pandemic...
I highly doubt this. POS has been a big supporter of DL's growth, they aren't going to punish DL or anyone else for temporarily reducing service during a pandemic. Do you have evidence that DL is running a higher number of flights to SEA than they want to because of the threat of permanently losing gates?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:22 pm

I highly doubt this. POS has been a big supporter of DL's growth, they aren't going to punish DL or anyone else for temporarily reducing service during a pandemic. Do you have evidence that DL is running a higher number of flights to SEA than they want to because of the threat of permanently losing gates?
DL is running more flights out of SEA than they are out of LAX (I think the number at SEA for June will be around 70-80/flights a day, I think LAX is around 50-60) and at about 1/2 the flights that AS is running (I think AS is around 160/day) - that ratio seems consistent with pre-COVID service. It's possible there's enough demand for DL to keep flights running at that level - SEA-PHX is only running at 2x daily this month (for example) but both legs are on A321s, but no one really knows (other than DL's flight planners and revenue management folks) for another 3 months.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Could this be due to the various flights they had running exclusively out of SEA that still need to be served?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...foq-story.html

This Orlando Sentinel article (Sentinel has a paywall after 3 free views) states that DL is positioning MCO to be its largest non-hub station.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...foq-story.html

This Orlando Sentinel article (Sentinel has a paywall after 3 free views) states that DL is positioning MCO to be its largest non-hub station.
Is this any different from before? I always assumed MCO was one of if not the largest DL non-hub stations.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Is this any different from before? I always assumed MCO was one of if not the largest DL non-hub stations.
If they are using DLs true definition of “hubs” I’d assume RDU was bigger than MCO before. I’d assume in the post COVID world, business travel will be down for the next several years and stations like RDU will shrink while MCO will grow.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Could this be due to the various flights they had running exclusively out of SEA that still need to be served?
Most likely. Also I think SEA is just really important to DL's plans and I believe they don't want to lose ground on that long-term strategy.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If they are using DLs true definition of “hubs” I’d assume RDU was bigger than MCO before. I’d assume in the post COVID world, business travel will be down for the next several years and stations like RDU will shrink while MCO will grow.
It looks like DL at least used to consider RDU a focus city of some kind. I guess that experiment is pretty much over. Looks like a lot of the flying was regionals and 717s.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:56 pm

Most likely. Also I think SEA is just really important to DL's plans and I believe they don't want to lose ground on that long-term strategy.
Is it just the geo? It gives them access to AK and Asia but both have always had service provided by other carriers. Sure, the region is growing rapidly (not just Seattle metro) too

Service updates from DL here: https://news.delta.com/more-flights-...afety-measures

BOS-AMS is also returning 4x weekly, depending on how the border situation goes with the ongoing pandemic.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
MCO is (was?) larger than RDU by about 50% by passenger volume - 6M vs 4M - but significantly smaller by destination count (at least looking at DL/regional metal only.. lots of partner flights for obvious reasons).

Delta pumps volume to MCO but almost entirely through hubs. Delta did over 1M passengers between ATL-MCO last year alone. Typically average 13-18 flights per day depending on time of year, all on large narrowbodies (primarily 757).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.