Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I have a 6am flight tomorrow.
I'm having my PDB right now.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
It sounds like you already know how to sort it out, so why are you calling the FA and blocking the aisle?
I've found that in the instances when I find someone already in my seat, most often they're offering me something I don't want and are going to be stubborn about getting up and moving. I think it's something to do with the types of personalities that put themselves in such a situation.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
I have got to agree with the anti-alcohol folks.

People getting in the Skyclub at 8-9am hanging around the bar or getting a drink early in the morning. What the heck is wrong with you people.

We get it, the drinks are free but it really isn't that big of a deal, I promise you.

Poor you, you will get over it.
Nothing wrong with a little 'Frühschoppen' & lots of international pax, pax with a different body clock, it's 8PM somewhere.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I've found that in the instances when I find someone already in my seat, most often they're offering me something I don't want and are going to be stubborn about getting up and moving. I think it's something to do with the types of personalities that put themselves in such a situation.
I agree. One time when I was about to close the door, the FA said there was a seating problem so I went to check it out. The poacher actually told me the GA said he couldn't help me... I was the only GA and he never talked to me at all! It's always fun when the customer talks or complains about me not knowing it's me.

(The other scenario that occasionally plays out is I'll check someone in at the counter, nothing unusual. Then I'm at the gate and the same person says the ticket counter agent who checked him/her in promised X.)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
I agree. One time when I was about to close the door, the FA said there was a seating problem so I went to check it out. The poacher actually told me the GA said he couldn't help me... I was the only GA and he never talked to me at all! It's always fun when the customer talks or complains about me not knowing it's me.

(The other scenario that occasionally plays out is I'll check someone in at the counter, nothing unusual. Then I'm at the gate and the same person says the ticket counter agent who checked him/her in promised X.)
LOL.

One of the things I actually love (in an admittedly weird way) about getting to some of the smaller stations is seeing the same faces at the counter and gate (and sometimes on the ramp!).

I've no idea if employees like that setup or not, but as an operations guy it's fascinating to watch in action.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:43 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ty97
(irks is too strong of a word but can't think of anything else to use right now): It irks me that the app can show you the inbound aircraft but delta.com can't.

ETA: My typos irk me more.
Neither show the gate in a timely fashion.
I use flightaware, more accurate and it shows the gate whe DL doesn't. And it will show inbound aircraft for the last month.

Why not you, DL IT?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Neither show the gate in a timely fashion.
I use flightaware, more accurate and it shows the gate whe DL doesn't. And it will show inbound aircraft for the last month.

Why not you, DL IT?
You can find the inbound on the app, but only under flight status. You'd think that DL IT could make that easier to access either on the app or at DL.com
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Why does Delta have to stick w/ crappy GoGo. Overpriced, congested, slow service ripe in the air.

Oh, you wanted speed? Well, there's gonna' be latency then. So, have fun.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Why does Delta have to stick w/ crappy GoGo. Overpriced, congested, slow service ripe in the air.

Oh, you wanted speed? Well, there's gonna' be latency then. So, have fun.
Seriously. Satellite Gogo can do 5-7 Mbps, but that's rather pointless with 500ms ping.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WWads
Seriously. Satellite Gogo can do 5-7 Mbps, but that's rather pointless with 500ms ping.
5-7mbps? Pfft, that's slow as it is. Not even broadband speed. Get back to me when it's 25 and the latency is below 100ms. Square up Gogo.

Oh and to the rest of you in air ISPs, thanks for at least letting me watch Netflix in somewhat decent minimally stutter-ey quality.

I volunteer at a host and remotely work with game servers, no excuse for the high latency. None.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by WWads
Eh, I don't mind the high latency at all. Not like I'm playing multiplayer games where it matters; Hardly pointless.. I find Netflix and HBO go actually stream rather well over the Ku links, and big files suck down no problem at all.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by appleguru
Eh, I don't mind the high latency at all. Not like I'm playing multiplayer games where it matters; Hardly pointless.. I find Netflix and HBO go actually stream rather well over the Ku links, and big files suck down no problem at all.
In all honesty, yeah. It just depends on how you plan to use the Wifi. If you're into gaming of any sort aside from Candy Crush or having better Pokemon than the guy in the seat behind you*, good luck.

Also, if you've noticed, in the rear of Y performance can be a little more sad. Had a real sucky experience on my last trip from DCA, ended up getting assigned near the dead back. WiFi for our subset of the plane failed to work whatsoever. We'll just call it, T-Mobile inspired peak traffic

*Full disclosure: I find Pokemon Go almost as boring as taking a standardized test; Or having to go over at least 100 lines of code spread over several pages of a website simply to replace URLs (hint, hint..)

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jul 17, 2016 at 8:12 pm Reason: so this sorta makes sense. Hours and hours of coding JUST for URLs and still have more to do. Ugh..
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
5-7mbps? Pfft, that's slow as it is. Not even broadband speed. Get back to me when it's 25 and the latency is below 100ms. Square up Gogo.

Oh and to the rest of you in air ISPs, thanks for at least letting me watch Netflix in somewhat decent minimally stutter-ey quality.

I volunteer at a host and remotely work with game servers, no excuse for the high latency. None.
Latency over satellite is a fact of life. At 26,000 miles above the earth that is about 104,000 miles for a trip to the remote destination and back. The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second so it is over 500 ms just to make the trip. Add in the additional time for the electronics and you'll never get under 30 ms times.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Latency over satellite is a fact of life. At 26,000 miles above the earth that is about 104,000 miles for a trip to the remote destination and back. The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second so it is over 500 ms just to make the trip. Add in the additional time for the electronics and you'll never get under 30 ms times.
You know you suck at sarcasm when people take what you're saying literally. :/
Anyhow, you're right. As it stands satellite is frankly the only practical option for high speed and capacity in flight wifi, and the fact that it can pull up to 70mbps per plane is quite impressive from where we have came from in the last eight years. So latency is a price to pay especially for the added range and this applies to ground-comm to, like in rural under-served areas.

It's just fun every now and then to not look at things from a black and white pragmatic view, that I usually do, but instead cheeky and short sighted.

It's called "pathetic complaints" for a reason. We can live with it.. Just a little disappointing.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:56 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
WOW! You must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.