Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Bilt Rewards Mastercard WikiPost

(10/7/23 Original author (Dr Jabadski) note: As I posted here on 9/9/23 “Considering I’ve been salivating about simple no-cost points-etizing (like monetizing) my condo payments for about 25 years, I see Bilt as a game changer.” I should have added “almost a Holy Grail” (a thing that is eagerly pursued or sought after). I successfully applied for a Bilt Mastercard 1 month ago thus I’m far from an expert. Both before and after approval I posted multiple questions many times on this thread and several other FTers were highly gracious and informative. Thought a WikiPost might save some others a good deal of time, effort and aggravation, at least in not repeating my questions and searching for the answers. I certainly hope the experts will edit and update this WikiPost as necessary. I’m also exercising Writer's Prerogative to officially coin the term “pointsetize”, like monetize “convert into or express in the form of currency”, to earn points from payments which otherwise would not earn points.)

Bilt Rewards Mastercard (Bilt MC) was first launched in mid-2021, in good part as a no fee way to charge and pointsetize rent payments. (Perhaps the only no fee way to pointsetize rent payments.) There are multiple reports of earning Bilt points for paying condominium monthly maintenance/common charges, sometimes even when the word “condo” or “condominium” is in the transaction description.

Bilt MC is a personal credit card, WF reports credit card information to the various credit bureaus and Bilt MC will count toward Chase 5/24.

This post and this post (both from 9/7/23) describe shutdown reports perhaps related to “micro transactions”, fluctuating rent payment amounts or multiple rent payments. This 10/11/23 post includes several references to Reddit user quotes about shutdowns and several Reddit Bilt quotes in response.

Links to Bilt Rewards Terms of Use and Evolve Bank & Trust (Bilt Technologies) Customer Account Agreement. The Terms state “Bilt may make available to you a Bilt Rent Account (“Account”), which is a transaction bank account that can be used by you solely to make rent payments.” The Agreement states: “For the avoidance of doubt, the Account is a transaction bank account that can be used by you solely to make rent payments. For the avoidance of doubt, this is not an account that you may use to deposit or withdraw funds for any other purposes outside of rent payments.”

Bilt MC is a metal card weighing ~16 grams (comparisons: AmEx biz plat 18.5 gm, AmEx Gold 15 gm, Chase Sapphire Reserve 13 gm, traditional plastic card 5 gm).

Bilt Mastercard is issued and managed by Wells Fargo. Bilt Rewards is a separate website and app (which contains some credit card information but not as much as WF website).

Most reports are of instant approvals, Wells Fargo reconsideration phone number and experiences are not well documented. Reported initial Credit Limits vary $4,000 - $30,000 with higher limits more commonly reported. This post (9/1/23) describes one instance of a “Something went wrong” message upon application and the steps toward approval several days later.

Rent payments can be made in multiple different ways. Bilt will provide a (bank) routing number and account number. ACH rent payments can be sent (deposited) by Bilt or withdrawn by a managing company.

Bilt MC is shipped via trackable no-signature-required First Class mail in a small (4.5” x 6.5”) white box with unique packaging inside as pictured at the bottom of this post. As of Feb 2024 no reports of expedited shipping.

Reports on this thread starting in late November 2023 indicate this "quasi-SUB" may be offered randomly and/or only to some people, selection criteria unknown. This post may be the only report of being offered the quasi-SUB prior to Bilt Mastercard application, based on existing Bilt Rewards account. Bilt's “quasi-SUB" is offered via an email and a text message notification the same day as card receipt informing of 5x/5 days/max 50K (email quoted verbatim in this post). (Quasi* due to very short duration in contrast to many traditional SUBs of 3 month duration.) Please note this quasi-SUB maxs out at $12,500 (not $10,000) and tax payments will count. No reports yet of returns and their effect on quasi-SUB. (* “quasi-“ a combining form meaning “resembling,” “having some, but not all of the features of,” used in the formation of compound words: quasi-definition; quasi-monopoly; quasi-official; quasi-scientific.)

Newly earned Bilt points will display as “pending” until 5 transactions per statement cycle. After 5 transactions, points will post and become available shortly after a transaction, before statement date. The Bilt Rewards website has a “transaction counter” which disappears upon reaching 5.

Bilt points for linking partner programs (100 points each) and for adding a credit card to Bilt Wallet (100 points each for first 3) post immediately. Original author received 500 point bonus for first rent payment.

Bilt Rewards points are transferable at 1:1 usually within a few minutes to multiple different airline and hotel programs.

There’s discussion of the long term viability of Bilt with some of those posts linked at the bottom of this post after “BREAK”.

Bilt Status Tiers: Blue - anyone enrolled in Bilt Rewards with under 25,000 points, Silver - 25,000 points earned, Gold - 50,000 points earned, Platinum - 100,000 points earned. “Tier status earned at any point in a year remains active through the end of the following year.” “Earn Interest on Points” (Silver, Gold, Platinum Tiers) is minimal, discussed on this post and this post.

Bilt Points Quest Trivia on the first of each month offers up to 250 points for correctly answering, within 10 seconds, 6 (out of 15-20) questions. Must get first 5 questions (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 points) correct to see the 6th “bonus” 100 point question. There’s often a Reddit thread with the Q & A. (Point Quest - October 2023 Answers) The lower half of this post has comments from a highly experienced “test taker” regarding memory, recall and “studying” for Points Quest Trivia.

Bilt also has various “RentFree” games, available a few days prior to and/or on the 1st of the month, different people get different games. Could be a Family Feud style question with enough time to Google answers or a “Where's Wally?” (Bilt Brick) type of game or something else. Successful completion enters to be one of 3 people for whom Bilt pays their monthly rent (up to $2500).

List of Bilt’s Rent Day promotions going back to October 2022 at the bottom of the page here: DEALSPOINTS.

Print Wikipost

Bilt Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:52 am
Suspended

The person who works for bilt besmirched venture x yet only paying 95 dollars with 10k cap 1 points makes this card virtually free .Only the Wells Fargo card has the primary rental coverage . The worst comment made by this person is that people should carry a balance in order for the card to be successful. As cap 1 has such a bad reputation they can afford this loss leader while they improve their reputation. . Wells Fargo has Barclays castoffs which is as a credit card issuer is 5th rate .
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by disloyalty
Buy gift cards that wash 3x to 10x and pay rent with it as a debit card little to no fee involved . If you are banned from Amex and chase then this 4 th tier card is worth it .
I don’t have the Chase 5x gift cards via office supplies store thing going on (in fact, I’m LOL/24 so I don’t have Chase cards). I also am not all that anxious to spend the time on MS grinding (buy gift cards while making sure they’re not hacked, use gift cards). It’s a non-zero cost for me given that without a car it’s actual real time and money investment. Maybe I’ll change my mind someday instead of lazily accepting 1x on rent that just happens with zero effort. I’m primarily in AMEX and not too anxious to get RAT attention, branching out into Capital One. Maybe Chase or Citi happens in 2023.

The person who works for bilt besmirched venture x yet only paying 95 dollars with 10k cap 1 points makes this card virtually free .Only the Wells Fargo card has the primary rental coverage . The worst comment made by this person is that people should carry a balance in order for the card to be successful. As cap 1 has such a bad reputation they can afford this loss leader while they improve their reputation. . Wells Fargo has Barclays castoffs which is as a credit card issuer is 5th rate .
What even is “reputation”? Usually banks care about making money. Does my card get accepted when I use it? Does it do what I want it to? Then why do I even care about “reputation”? Is some bouncer at the nightclubs I go to going to demand to see my credit cards and bounce me if they see a Wells Fargo or Bilt card?
jebr likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 1, 2022 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Was referring to people who work for bilt .

Even a non ms’er can be benefit from gift cards . I think if bilt offered 5x on travel ,gas , groceries and allowed cash transfers to bank account at 1.5 and 1 point to transfer to any of their partners they might have a winner .It’s common knowledge that folks with 580 or higher are getting approved .The 100k sub will happen eventually .

Last edited by EmailKid; Apr 25, 2022 at 1:51 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even a non ms’er can be benefit from gift cards . I think if bilt offered 5x on travel ,gas , groceries and allowed cash transfers to bank account at 1.5 and 1 point to transfer to any of their partners they might have a winner .It’s common knowledge that folks with 580 or higher are getting approved .The 100k sub will happen eventually .
And I’m telling you the trips to Walmart or Walgreens and subsequent liquidating do nothing for me except remind me of World of Warcraft grinding.

LOL, that kind of stuff for a no annual fee card that makes money on transaction fees and landlord signups? While you’re at it, why don’t you ask for unlimited free ice cream and a million dollars for each successful applicant?

Nobody is going to make money with 5x travel/gas/groceries with all points having a cash value of 1.5 cpp. A SUB with cash value of $1500 on a no AF card is insane. Even AMEX doesn’t give away the store like that on cards you have to pay a collective $1k for in annual fee. All it’s going to “win” is a trip to bankruptcy court for whatever bank that’s stupid enough to do that.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
I have a mortgage so Bilt doesn’t appeal to me. But, my mom lives in an age restrictive apartment. Her complex is not within the Bilt alliance properties, so applied and approved for the Bilt card. Let’s see how this goes…
What about paying HOA fees?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Unsure. Since my mom's Bilt is linked to her apartment, I can't add another payee.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I, too, would LOVE to know about this, too. Anyone have any idea?
Old May 1, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your HOA uses a service like AppFolio that also does rentals, it might work? Don’t know because I don’t own, but it seems like it should.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How do they add good transfer partners so easily? AFAIK nobody transfers to AA and only Chase transfers to UA.
Paying through the nose for these miles as a loss leader?
miguelp1986 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:30 am

Buy gift cards that wash 3x to 10x and pay rent with it as a debit card little to no fee involved . If you are banned from Amex and chase then this 4 th tier card is worth it .
Great, so now my card's getting shut down by a fraud department for "suspicious activity." Plus the prepaid card I bought got drained before I could use it, so now I not only don't have a card I actually want, but I'm out the money I spent as well. Sounds like a great plan!

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And I’m telling you the trips to Walmart or Walgreens and subsequent liquidating do nothing for me except remind me of World of Warcraft grinding.
Exactly. Even without the pitfalls, at the end of the day doing the gift card conversions is very much getting into the "game" aspect of the points/cash back hobby that many of us here enjoy. If it's not fun for someone (and it doesn't sound fun to me,) then I think it's fair for someone to just take the easy path, particularly when that easy path also offers some rewards. There's a fairly large time investment involved in learning how best to do it, how not to get flagged, how to avoid getting a card that's drained before you can use it, getting to the stores, etc. plus the cost of getting to all the places needed to make it work optimally. Even with a car, gas prices are high and maintenance is no joke either. I'd rather enjoy my time doing other things at that point, especially since I'd be paranoid about all the pitfalls.

Last edited by jebr; May 2, 2022 at 2:26 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old May 3, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If your HOA uses a service like AppFolio that also does rentals, it might work? Don’t know because I don’t own, but it seems like it should.
Mine is First Service Residential...anyone have any experience with that?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by darkice81
Has anyone experienced issues with their rent check not making it to the landlord? I initiated my rent payment on 10/20 and as of EOD 10/29, my property manager said she still hasn't received it. Check was mailed from SFO 10/20 according to the app and arrived in NYC USPS on 10/22.
Did it ever arrive? Im.goimg through the same problem
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
Did the transition from Evolve to Wells Fargo require cards to be reissued or other inconvenience?
I'm not sure as I don't have the card. I can ask around.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
BILT rounding down to the lower $ from .99

BILT is consistently rounding down to the lower dollar, so that $2.99 is $2. It would seem poorly thought out for a new card working to bring in subscribers.
Many bank credit cards round up from the the first .01 to the next dollar, though not sure if that is Wells Fargo policy.

As a reminder, this is a $0 AF, no FTF metal card with transferrable points (AA, Hyatt, Turkish, IHG, FB, Virgin Atlantic, Aeroplan, Emirates, Hawaiian).

The first iteration wasn't all that interesting, but it appears they move fast and have already updated the rewards structure to:
  • 1X general spend and rent
  • 2X travel (air, hotel, car, cruise)
  • 3X dining
The card also features quite a few benefits/coverages that we rarely see in $0 AF cards these day, like: $800 cellphone protection, purchase protection, 6-hour flight delay coverage, etc.

This could be a very interesting card for the AF-averse crowd, as it is exceedingly rare to find a $0 AF card with no FTF that offers transfer partners (and good ones, at that!).[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
BILT is consistently rounding down to the lower dollar, so that $2.99 is $2. It would seem poorly thought out for a new card working to bring in subscribers.
Many bank credit cards round up from the the first .01 to the next dollar, though not sure if that is Wells Fargo policy.
Thanks for pointing this out as I did not realize this. Not a deal killer but interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.