Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Bilt Rewards Mastercard WikiPost

(10/7/23 Original author (Dr Jabadski) note: As I posted here on 9/9/23 Considering Ive been salivating about simple no-cost points-etizing (like monetizing) my condo payments for about 25 years, I see Bilt as a game changer. I should have added almost a Holy Grail (a thing that is eagerly pursued or sought after). I successfully applied for a Bilt Mastercard 1 month ago thus Im far from an expert. Both before and after approval I posted multiple questions many times on this thread and several other FTers were highly gracious and informative. Thought a WikiPost might save some others a good deal of time, effort and aggravation, at least in not repeating my questions and searching for the answers. I certainly hope the experts will edit and update this WikiPost as necessary. Im also exercising Writer's Prerogative to officially coin the term pointsetize, like monetize convert into or express in the form of currency, to earn points from payments which otherwise would not earn points.)

Bilt Rewards Mastercard (Bilt MC) was first launched in mid-2021, in good part as a no fee way to charge and pointsetize rent payments. (Perhaps the only no fee way to pointsetize rent payments.) There are multiple reports of earning Bilt points for paying condominium monthly maintenance/common charges, sometimes even when the word condo or condominium is in the transaction description.

Bilt MC is a personal credit card, WF reports credit card information to the various credit bureaus and Bilt MC will count toward Chase 5/24.

This post and this post (both from 9/7/23) describe shutdown reports perhaps related to micro transactions, fluctuating rent payment amounts or multiple rent payments. This 10/11/23 post includes several references to Reddit user quotes about shutdowns and several Reddit Bilt quotes in response.

Links to Bilt Rewards Terms of Use and Evolve Bank & Trust (Bilt Technologies) Customer Account Agreement. The Terms state Bilt may make available to you a Bilt Rent Account (Account), which is a transaction bank account that can be used by you solely to make rent payments. The Agreement states: For the avoidance of doubt, the Account is a transaction bank account that can be used by you solely to make rent payments. For the avoidance of doubt, this is not an account that you may use to deposit or withdraw funds for any other purposes outside of rent payments.

Bilt MC is a metal card weighing ~16 grams (comparisons: AmEx biz plat 18.5 gm, AmEx Gold 15 gm, Chase Sapphire Reserve 13 gm, traditional plastic card 5 gm).

Bilt Mastercard is issued and managed by Wells Fargo. Bilt Rewards is a separate website and app (which contains some credit card information but not as much as WF website).

Most reports are of instant approvals, Wells Fargo reconsideration phone number and experiences are not well documented. Reported initial Credit Limits vary $4,000 - $30,000 with higher limits more commonly reported. This post (9/1/23) describes one instance of a Something went wrong message upon application and the steps toward approval several days later.

Rent payments can be made in multiple different ways. Bilt will provide a (bank) routing number and account number. ACH rent payments can be sent (deposited) by Bilt or withdrawn by a managing company.

Bilt MC is shipped via trackable no-signature-required First Class mail in a small (4.5 x 6.5) white box with unique packaging inside as pictured at the bottom of this post. As of Feb 2024 no reports of expedited shipping.

Reports on this thread starting in late November 2023 indicate this "quasi-SUB" may be offered randomly and/or only to some people, selection criteria unknown. This post may be the only report of being offered the quasi-SUB prior to Bilt Mastercard application, based on existing Bilt Rewards account. Bilt's quasi-SUB" is offered via an email and a text message notification the same day as card receipt informing of 5x/5 days/max 50K (email quoted verbatim in this post). (Quasi* due to very short duration in contrast to many traditional SUBs of 3 month duration.) Please note this quasi-SUB maxs out at $12,500 (not $10,000) and tax payments will count. No reports yet of returns and their effect on quasi-SUB. (* quasi- a combining form meaning resembling, having some, but not all of the features of, used in the formation of compound words: quasi-definition; quasi-monopoly; quasi-official; quasi-scientific.)

Newly earned Bilt points will display as pending until 5 transactions per statement cycle. After 5 transactions, points will post and become available shortly after a transaction, before statement date. The Bilt Rewards website has a transaction counter which disappears upon reaching 5.

Bilt points for linking partner programs (100 points each) and for adding a credit card to Bilt Wallet (100 points each for first 3) post immediately. Original author received 500 point bonus for first rent payment.

Bilt Rewards points are transferable at 1:1 usually within a few minutes to multiple different airline and hotel programs.

Theres discussion of the long term viability of Bilt with some of those posts linked at the bottom of this post after BREAK.

Bilt Status Tiers: Blue - anyone enrolled in Bilt Rewards with under 25,000 points, Silver - 25,000 points earned, Gold - 50,000 points earned, Platinum - 100,000 points earned. Tier status earned at any point in a year remains active through the end of the following year. Earn Interest on Points (Silver, Gold, Platinum Tiers) is minimal, discussed on this post and this post.

Bilt Points Quest Trivia on the first of each month offers up to 250 points for correctly answering, within 10 seconds, 6 (out of 15-20) questions. Must get first 5 questions (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 points) correct to see the 6th bonus 100 point question. Theres often a Reddit thread with the Q & A. (Point Quest - October 2023 Answers) The lower half of this post has comments from a highly experienced test taker regarding memory, recall and studying for Points Quest Trivia.

Bilt also has various RentFree games, available a few days prior to and/or on the 1st of the month, different people get different games. Could be a Family Feud style question with enough time to Google answers or a Where's Wally? (Bilt Brick) type of game or something else. Successful completion enters to be one of 3 people for whom Bilt pays their monthly rent (up to $2500).

List of Bilts Rent Day promotions going back to October 2022 at the bottom of the page here: DEALSPOINTS.

June 2024: Bottom of this post describes one persons experience paying a significant assessment (and earning points) with Bilt MC, at this time (only 3 weeks later) no report of clawback or shutdown (based on using Bilt to pay rent more than once a month and/or for something other than rent/condo fees).

June 2024: Bottom of this post contains Bilt quotes regarding Bilt BiltProtect.

June 2024: Important post (and link) stating that WF is losing money every month on Bilt.

Print Wikipost

Bilt Mastercard

Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Bilt’s added a branded Expedia knockoff where you will get 2x points on it.

You also get 1x points using their new portal even if you use a different card (and Bilt points cash out at 10,000/$125 on that portal, so in a way you have a low end Chase Sapphire Preferred with no AF and minimal SUB).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exped...170000488.html

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 9, 2022 at 3:34 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:18 am

Eh it's not really that bad

if you're dining its rounded down after multiplying by 3

this is my go-to card for dining. a little annoying there's no NFC built in which seems standard now especially for a metal travel card but use it with apple pay.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
BILT is consistently rounding down to the lower dollar, so that $2.99 is $2. It would seem poorly thought out for a new card working to bring in subscribers.
Many bank credit cards round up from the the first .01 to the next dollar, though not sure if that is Wells Fargo policy.
On my Bilt card (Evolve-issued, not WF-issued) dining transactions round down to the nearest point (the extra point is issued at 34 cents and probably the 67 cent mark.) A $1.60 transaction earns 4 points, a $2.10 transaction earns 6 points, etc. I did notice that an $x.33 transaction didn't give me the extra point and rounded down to the same earnings as $x.00, but an $x.34 cent transaction gave an extra point. I don't have any transactions at the $x.66 or $x.67 mark to tell where that line is, but $x.68 earns 2 extra points over what a $x.00 transaction would be. A bit annoying that it doesn't round up or to the nearest, but not a big deal for me.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:04 pm

Anyone here have any experiencing with using BILT to pay rent for off the books rental?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by esaphire3
Anyone here have any experiencing with using BILT to pay rent for off the books rental?
Theyve indicated that they reserve the right to request a copy of the lease. I assume this would mostly affect check payments, since their ACH system is already set up to block payments they dont believe are going to landlords.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:58 am
dw

I ended up applying for this.

The pros are the application process and the Bilt Rewards app worked pretty seamlessly-- as soon as I was approved I was able to go into the Bilt app and add my new card to my phone's digital wallet; the app will also show you your card number to use for online purchases immediately. The app also shows you points earned per purchase as soon as it posts to your Wells Fargo account. Card shipped pretty quickly and I liked the follow up e-mails from Bilt on the card delivery status.

One con is that I received a pseudo welcome offer after applying, which was 5x points on all purchases for 5 days starting the day I received my card. What has been frustrating is that the offer specifically mentioned the start date of the promotion (8/10), yet my account must have been coded incorrectly with the promo because when my purchases posted, nothing for 8/10 received the bonus points. I've reached out to Bilt Support to have them look into this, but their response time is definitely a bit slow.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
My home is owned by a trust. Can I "rent" the home from the trust and make payments to it?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
I haven't gotten this card yet (been working on Chase...3/5 so far), but they added BA and will add Iberia and Aer Lingus in the fall as transfer partners. Living in NYC, it'd be very easy to hit the 50,000 points on rent annually.

Also, 'Frequent Miler' says that you can now generate ACH info if you pay your rent through a portal..."In the Bilt Rewards app, cardholders have the option to send a rent payment by mailing a check or by ACH transfer using ClickPay, RentCafe, or other online payment portals."
miguelp1986 likes this.

Last edited by fredc84; Aug 26, 2022 at 2:18 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:25 am

hi anyone able to link their united account to this card via the app, i have been trying for the last few days and every time i get an error. Customer service is non-existent.

This card so far has been a complete disaster, transactions would disappear for days then magically reappear then disappear again making it very confusing, every time customer service states it's a bug they are fixing. United card linkage doesn't work so cant transfer to miles, which is my only use for its points. Seems the tech is not ready for release.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by newguy05
Customer service is non-existent.
The only issue I've had is not being able to link IHG which I was just doing for the 100 bonus points anyhow. Otherwise everything has worked well. Have a case opened with their CS about that but they informed me it could take a while.

[email protected] was an email given I'm assuming by Richard Kerr in a comment on VFTW. Could be worth a reach out if it's actually him...
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
hi anyone able to link their united account to this card via the app, i have been trying for the last few days and every time i get an error. Customer service is non-existent.

This card so far has been a complete disaster, transactions would disappear for days then magically reappear then disappear again making it very confusing, every time customer service states it's a bug they are fixing. United card linkage doesn't work so cant transfer to miles, which is my only use for its points. Seems the tech is not ready for release.
Zero issues using the card, billing, points accrual, linking accounts or transfer to Hyatt. I am using the Evolve branded card not the WF one. I dont doubt your experience but I find this a valuable card in my portfolio.

FWIW this card is 3x gas and EV charging until October 31 for up to $1250 in charges.

https://www.biltrewards.com/terms/3x-on-fuel

Bilt seems to be good at adding value as time goes by. For a no AF card its been useful for me, useful enough to take a hit on going under 5/24.
jebr likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jebr
On my Bilt card (Evolve-issued, not WF-issued) dining transactions round down to the nearest point (the extra point is issued at 34 cents and probably the 67 cent mark.) A $1.60 transaction earns 4 points, a $2.10 transaction earns 6 points, etc. I did notice that an $x.33 transaction didn't give me the extra point and rounded down to the same earnings as $x.00, but an $x.34 cent transaction gave an extra point. I don't have any transactions at the $x.66 or $x.67 mark to tell where that line is, but $x.68 earns 2 extra points over what a $x.00 transaction would be. A bit annoying that it doesn't round up or to the nearest, but not a big deal for me.
On my mom's WF issued card, multiple the charge by 3 then round down. So I a $3.66 dining purchase equates to 10 points and a $3.67 dining purchases equates to 11 points.

No problem's here. Everything works as advertised.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:13 am

Just got the card and confused about this statement on the app: Make at least 5 transactions that post each statement period to earn points on all of these categories: 1x rent, 2x points on travel, 3x points on dining

Does that mean if I only use the card for rent 1 time per month, I wont get any points and I need to make 4 other transactions?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:14 am
dw

Originally Posted by baydude
Just got the card and confused about this statement on the app: Make at least 5 transactions that post each statement period to earn points on all of these categories: 1x rent, 2x points on travel, 3x points on dining

Does that mean if I only use the card for rent 1 time per month, I wont get any points and I need to make 4 other transactions?
Yes. (Well technically I think you might get 250 points in that case.)
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by baydude

Correct! however they waved the requirement for 5 transactions for my first statement (which was 2 months ago)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.