Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Last time I used a debit card in EMV mode somewhere with FD terminals I wasn't asked for a PIN. At least I could insert still I guess.
Did it enforce chip like a credit card would? I know that debits have weird service codes where it doesn't always request an insert.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Did it enforce chip like a credit card would? I know that debits have weird service codes where it doesn't always request an insert.
I had already known that the place I tried it at supported EMV so I didn't even bother swiping. They did support PIN debit with magstripe though judging by the other people in line.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:33 pm

I had already known that the place I tried it at supported EMV so I didn't even bother swiping. They did support PIN debit with magstripe though judging by the other people in line.
I've noticed that with FD, sometimes it asks the cashier credit or debit, and the cashier probably just chose credit seeing that you've used the EMV card. I want to go back to this pet store and try swiping an EMV debit and see what happens, but the cheapest item they sell is $100.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed that with FD, sometimes it asks the cashier credit or debit, and the cashier probably just chose credit seeing that you've used the EMV card. I want to go back to this pet store and try swiping an EMV debit and see what happens, but the cheapest item they sell is $100.
This place is mad busy on weekends and I don't really want to hold up people in line attempting to walk the clerk though it. Their POSes are not connected to their FD terminals which makes it worse. Contactless for example is pretty much pushing "Sale", pointing to the PIN pad so they know to enter the amount and then tapping.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:41 pm

This place is mad busy on weekends and I don't really want to hold up people in line attempting to walk the clerk though it. Their POSes are not connected to their FD terminals which makes it worse. Contactless for example is pretty much pushing "Sale", pointing to the PIN pad so they know to enter the amount and then tapping.
I wish the general public would know to press sale first. I did the same at the pet store. A lot of people said "it doesn't work" simply because they tried to point their phone when the NFC sensor isn't active. With FD Terminals you could also swipe and it'll ask the cashier for the amount without pressing anything. That's why
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish the general public would know to press sale first. I did the same at the pet store. A lot of people said "it doesn't work" simply because they tried to point their phone when the NFC sensor isn't active. With FD Terminals you could also swipe and it'll ask the cashier for the amount without pressing anything. That's why
Integrated POSes are far more common in the US too than elsewhere, which allows for things like the terminal turning on as soon as the clerk totals the transaction. But yeah, swipe and insert will ask the cashier for the amount on FD terminals IIRC.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:07 am

Can anyone confirm the best workflow for a contactless transaction on a FD35? A local deli just got a new FD terminal with FD35 PIN pad and I’ve been planning to try Apple Pay.

If I push “Sale” on the FD35, will this prompt the cashier to enter the amount on their terminal? Do I need to wait for the cashier to enter the amount before NFC turns on and I can tap my phone/card?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zolk
Can anyone confirm the best workflow for a contactless transaction on a FD35? A local deli just got a new FD terminal with FD35 PIN pad and I’ve been planning to try Apple Pay.

If I push “Sale” on the FD35, will this prompt the cashier to enter the amount on their terminal? Do I need to wait for the cashier to enter the amount before NFC turns on and I can tap my phone/card?
When you push "Sale" it'll say "Processing" immediately afterward until the cashier enters the amount on their side. Once they do that it'll say "Present Card" and that's when you can tap. I think you can also swipe or insert here too but people tend to swipe/insert without pushing that button. The advantage of pushing Sale is that you don't need to try to explain that you want to pay with Apple Pay/Google Wallet and possibly have to walk them through how to start a transaction manually.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:05 am

When you push "Sale" it'll say "Processing" immediately afterward until the cashier enters the amount on their side. Once they do that it'll say "Present Card" and that's when you can tap. I think you can also swipe or insert here too but people tend to swipe/insert without pushing that button. The advantage of pushing Sale is that you don't need to try to explain that you want to pay with Apple Pay/Google Wallet and possibly have to walk them through how to start a transaction manually.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The owner originally had no idea that his new setup could handle contactless, but we agreed to try it at some point in the future.

A produce store in my neighborhood also upgraded to the same FD setup a few months back, but unfortunately the FD35 isn't customer accessible. They too probably have no idea that they can take contactless payments.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:37 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The owner originally had no idea that his new setup could handle contactless, but we agreed to try it at some point in the future.

A produce store in my neighborhood also upgraded to the same FD setup a few months back, but unfortunately the FD35 isn't customer accessible. They too probably have no idea that they can take contactless payments.
Most owners/cashiers are totally fine with people paying with their phones, since they still get there money and we pay the way we want to, so everyone wins. I did run into one owner(an obvious technophobe) who refused to let me pay that way and was a total jerk about it too, so we aren't going back to that place ever again. But usually if you ask and instruct them they will usually do it and say how cool it is and what not.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Lost my Apple Pay because I had to reset my iPhone to try to fix a sound problem.

So I add them all back in but my BofA Visa is a pain in the ....

For verification, they're suppose to send an SMS but they haven't. Yet got an email saying my card was added to Apple Pay. Email even lists the last 4 digits of the card and the DAN.

But I didn't even get the SMS!

So I switch verification to calling Visa and they want to ask all kinds of questions based on my credit report. Problem is, I have my credit frozen due to the Anthem attack. So they can't verify me through the call center.

I don't recall having problems verifying this card before.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Lost my Apple Pay because I had to reset my iPhone to try to fix a sound problem.

So I add them all back in but my BofA Visa is a pain in the ....

For verification, they're suppose to send an SMS but they haven't. Yet got an email saying my card was added to Apple Pay. Email even lists the last 4 digits of the card and the DAN.

But I didn't even get the SMS!

So I switch verification to calling Visa and they want to ask all kinds of questions based on my credit report. Problem is, I have my credit frozen due to the Anthem attack. So they can't verify me through the call center.

I don't recall having problems verifying this card before.
Probably because of the articles about a month ago about "Apple Pay Fraud" where the banks weren't doing a good job vetting, allowing people to add cards that weren't theirs.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Most owners/cashiers are totally fine with people paying with their phones, since they still get there money and we pay the way we want to, so everyone wins. I did run into one owner(an obvious technophobe) who refused to let me pay that way and was a total jerk about it too, so we aren't going back to that place ever again. But usually if you ask and instruct them they will usually do it and say how cool it is and what not.
Did you leave your items behind? I was about ready to walk out and then the owner called me back into the store and said he was sorry. Sometimes you need to make these types of statements to get the point across. A phone call to Visa and MasterCard is in order too.
I'm a customer giving you money. It isn't unreasonable to pay with my phone when you have the equipment.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:28 am

Why would on earth the FD35 be on their side? Give them a little talking to as that is supposed to be the customer side! This bad behavior by merchants need to stop, especially with my PIN preferring usaa (yep I still have one!).

My local subway tried to put the VX820 on their side. I spoke to a manager and now it's on my side at all times.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Did you leave your items behind? I was about ready to walk out and then the owner called me back into the store and said he was sorry. Sometimes you need to make these types of statements to get the point across. A phone call to Visa and MasterCard is in order too.
I'm a customer giving you money. It isn't unreasonable to pay with my phone when you have the equipment.
Exactly right RedLight, First of all they said how dangerous using stuff like Google Wallet/Apple Pay is, LOL! It was a restaurant so I already ate, so I couldn't just dine and dash and it was a VX520 with contactless which they just got, heck I tried to explain how to run it even pressing the F2 button to start it, but they flat out refused listen or even try it as they backed out of it, saying how it was there right to not want to run it. I didn't get why someone would refuse money, unless that person is a total idiot, then being all rude and nasty on top of it, what a terrible owner, sadly acting like that they will probably go out of business soon. I have never had an issue at any of the other ma and pa places I have tried to run it at, so its rare to find such people. Another restaurant two doors down has the VX520 too and they didn't seem to be against trying contactless on it, but I didn't know how to run it then, so I tried to just tap without instructing them to press sale and entering an amount. I will go back at some point and try it and they probably won't be a total jerk to me, unless they want me to never come back again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.