Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
That's the thing though--in my limited domestic EMV restaurant experience tip was still possible after the fact, even with PIN. Changing to a pay at the counter model also has its own costs, including possible renovation work if the restaurant was never built to support it.

Also, considering that Apple Pay brought contactless back from the dead in the US I think it's more likely that pay at the table will happen now, but I don't really know by how much. Before Apple announced it, I was even thinking that restaurants would just have wired EMV terminals that had PIN disabled altogether. It's still early so we'll see what happens.
Don't forget all of the Darden restaurants, like Olive Garden are going CurrentC, which is going to require some sort of terminal to show a QR code for you to scan.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Do we know how much these handheld portable terminals cost to purchase? A medium-large tablet would probably be a lot easier. Assuming the tables are inside, the server could discreetly disappear for a minute or two while the cardholder transacts, worst case scenario is leaving the tablet behind on the table. Or, if the credit card is authorized before the server walks away, and the tablet goes missing, they know who to charge for it (and info for the cops perhaps).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I doubt U. S. debit will permit an option to withdraw from savings.
Sorry should have been more clear on that - that's an Interac specific prompt in Canada.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jbarm
Wonder if the Wells Card has MSE rather than EMV contactless. I tried asking Wells about this prior to the trip, but customer service was clueless.

jb
Wells Fargo Visa supports EMV contactless.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by jbarm
Tried out the Wells Fargo Visa EMV card with contactless in London last week on the TFL Underground (Tube).

Red lights for both my card and my companions cards. Multiple tries. People behind us were not amused.

Wonder if the Wells Card has MSE rather than EMV contactless. I tried asking Wells about this prior to the trip, but customer service was clueless.

Will report on Amex separately.

jb
When was your card issued?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
ApplePay/Contactless on London Tube and DCC question

Just to summarize what people have been reporting and to make sure I understand about using contactless on the London tube (heading there next week):

Applepay w/ a MC works (even if the MC does not support contactless or if a contactless MC itself does not work).
Applepay w/ a Visa d/n work?
MC/Visa contactless may or may not work, depending on the card itself.

Another question for those that have used applepay as a contactless transaction outside the US, have you encountered any issues w/ vendors applying DCC without your approval/knowledge?

Thanks to everyone for reporting their experiences.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stanj
Just to summarize what people have been reporting and to make sure I understand about using contactless on the London tube (heading there next week):

Applepay w/ a MC works (even if the MC does not support contactless or if a contactless MC itself does not work).
Applepay w/ a Visa d/n work?
MC/Visa contactless may or may not work, depending on the card itself.

Another question for those that have used applepay as a contactless transaction outside the US, have you encountered any issues w/ vendors applying DCC without your approval/knowledge?

Thanks to everyone for reporting their experiences.
Dcc can't be applied on contactless transactions because apart from in the U.S. The transaction amount has to be presented to the card or device and the card or device gives an approval response (either authorise offline or authorise with bank). The card/device will have been removed before the terminal could check a DCC rate.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
Any recommendations on an ApplePay supporting, no FTF, no annual fee, MasterCard to get?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EasyD
Any recommendations on an ApplePay supporting, no FTF, no annual fee, MasterCard to get?
Barclaycard Ring is 0% FTF IIRC. Some of Capital One's cards might be a possibility too but I forget if they support Apple Pay.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:47 pm

Barclay Ring or GM card from Capital One. Alternatively HSBC Platinum, but it's difficult without an HSBC banking relationship.

The Barclay Arrival No AF version also has 0 FTF.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Dcc can't be applied on contactless transactions because apart from in the U.S. The transaction amount has to be presented to the card or device and the card or device gives an approval response (either authorise offline or authorise with bank). The card/device will have been removed before the terminal could check a DCC rate.
Thanks that's good to know.

USAA MC has a 1% FTF w/ a 1% cashback reward, so effectively zero. No AF, but you need to have a military connection. Sounds like the Barclays might be the way to go.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Barclay Ring or GM card from Capital One. Alternatively HSBC Platinum, but it's difficult without an HSBC banking relationship.

The Barclay Arrival No AF version also has 0 FTF.
The HSBC card is not "difficult" to get, just a bit irritating. That said, he asked for a card that supports Apple Pay, which the HSBC card does not. It has built-in contactless, which I prefer. No Apple Pay, however.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:29 pm

The US HSBC MC does work on the Tube.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
I was also able to use it on the national rail, and also a coffee cart that didn't want to take credit card swipes/chips.
There are contactless small-purchase incentives in Europe. In order to build social acceptability and acceptance of using bank cards for small-ticket items, merchants have a strong incentive to run these contactless.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Someone pointed out that if you use Apple Pay, you won't benefit from the daily cap as you would with an Oyster or a contactless card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.