Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Great news for you all, although that is exactly what is happening to many non-MCX grocery stores, they are all getting Contactless payment support, minus Kroger, who is slow to act hehe.
Also today I went back into the BP I snapped this picture in: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...102151707a.jpg but went to the other register this time and the theme had changed to a Verifone one, with the same options, but Google Wallet worked perfectly without asking for credit/debit, which most BP's seem to ask for now. I do think its odd that it would change like that and I am wondering why it changed hmmm.
I think I get why most places seem to be going with MX915/925s. They definitely look more "modern" and "hip", if that matters a lot to the people responsible for purchasing decisions.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:30 am

For anyone wondering what happened to the PayPass branding:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...91071109,d.cGU
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
For anyone wondering what happened to the PayPass branding:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...91071109,d.cGU
Apple Pay seems to currently be in violation since it doesn't show the contactless indicator anywhere in Passbook, e.g.:

However, that indicator does appear at http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/, so maybe it's enough for MasterCard?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Apple Pay seems to currently be in violation since it doesn't show the contactless indicator anywhere in Passbook, e.g.:
They sound willing to consider alternatives on a case-by-case basis. It's Apple we're talking here. If they said to Mastercard "we want to use this, but don't want to include the contactless logo" I'm sure they said "okay, no problem".
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:00 pm

They sound willing to consider alternatives on a case-by-case basis. It's Apple we're talking here. If they said to Mastercard "we want to use this, but don't want to include the contactless logo" I'm sure they said "okay, no problem".
Apple got the cellphone companies (in the US anyway. Not sure about some countries) to agree to no branding on iPhones before they can sell them, so I can see that happening.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Yesterday and today I was unable to use Apple Pay at Home Depot. I tried Amex (which always worked in the past) and Visa. I ended up having to swipe the card both times. This was at two different stores in the Raleigh NC area.

I tapped the phone against the terminal, approved with my finger, and got the checkmark, then the screen on the self checkout lane said "wait for associate" while the POS screen read "processing". After a few moments, I was presented again with the screen where you select the payment method. No errors were shown.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Skymiles
I think I get why most places seem to be going with MX915/925s. They definitely look more "modern" and "hip", if that matters a lot to the people responsible for purchasing decisions.
Of course, in fact I'm sure this is 90% of the reason. Verifone does make the nicest looking terminals in my opinion. Stores always care about the image they project.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Yesterday and today I was unable to use Apple Pay at Home Depot. I tried Amex (which always worked in the past) and Visa. I ended up having to swipe the card both times. This was at two different stores in the Raleigh NC area.

I tapped the phone against the terminal, approved with my finger, and got the checkmark, then the screen on the self checkout lane said "wait for associate" while the POS screen read "processing". After a few moments, I was presented again with the screen where you select the payment method. No errors were shown.
Used it just fine at HD just now in a manned lane. Probably a quirk with the Self Checkout.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Used it just fine at HD just now in a manned lane. Probably a quirk with the Self Checkout.
Would you mind telling us what area you're in?

I'll try a manned lane next time, but the self-checkout lanes were working fine with NFC until a week or so ago.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Of course, in fact I'm sure this is 90% of the reason. Verifone does make the nicest looking terminals in my opinion. Stores always care about the image they project.
Ingenico terminals that have signature pads on them generally look awful haha. Ones without look ok, I prefer the actual contextless lights instead of the digital ones on verifone terminals as well.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Ingenico terminals that have signature pads on them generally look awful haha. Ones without look ok, I prefer the actual contextless lights instead of the digital ones on verifone terminals as well.
Those fancy terminals are definitely not going to age well at all IMO. They would probably have a better chance if we went to PIN, but that ship has sailed. Something like the FD35 will look good for a long while though.

BTW I really wish Apple Pay let you store more than eight cards. Maybe they can do that for iOS 9 assuming it's not some sort of hardware limitation.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:07 pm

Those fancy terminals are definitely not going to age well at all IMO. They would probably have a better chance if we went to PIN, but that ship has sailed. Something like the FD35 will look good for a long while though.

BTW I really wish Apple Pay let you store more than eight cards. Maybe they can do that for iOS 9 assuming it's not some sort of hardware limitation.
I don't know why you say they won't age well? They're made of pretty good materials.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know why you say they won't age well? They're made of pretty good materials.
I'm imagining something getting into the "pen" and scratching up the screen around where the signature line's printed out. Perhaps the screen is more scratch resistant than I think.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:51 pm

I'm imagining something getting into the "pen" and scratching up the screen around where the signature line's printed out. Perhaps the screen is more scratch resistant than I think.
The screens are a similar material to your phone screen.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:11 pm

Update on Whataburger in Houston - I went back to the restaurant close to my parents' house and tried to use Apple Pay. The POS only have one green light, and never saw it move. I did put my phone next to it, and it prompted me to use Touch ID. I did, but nothing happened.

So I guess something is up with this specific store, but the company side of it is set up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.