Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 9:28 pm

Been in HD yesterday and today - both times failed at self checkout, however I was told by self-checkout cashier that it works in manned lanes.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by dgcom
Been in HD yesterday and today - both times failed at self checkout, however I was told by self-checkout cashier that it works in manned lanes.
I wouldn't take them at their word, since I was told that when I had trouble with Apple Pay with MasterCard there. But I'd previously used an actual contactless Visa at self checkout, and later was able to use Apple Pay with Amex at self checkout, also without problems.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Apple Pay did not work in Home Depot.

So I did a purchase transaction in the self check out at HD. I went through the Apple Pay process, it showed as if transaction went through, then I saw a message on the terminationscreen saying Assistant needed. Then she said, I did not know Apple Pay works in HD. I had to redo the transaction by swiping the card. My iPhone showed a transaction but with no sales charge. Not sure what happened. Plan to go through manned terminal next time.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:31 am

Local Publix has upgraded to Ingenico Isc480. No NFC though.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by PKCorey
Local Publix has upgraded to Ingenico Isc480. No NFC though.
Publix is an MCX member, let's hope they'll "pull a Best Buy" and enable NFC anyway.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:21 pm

The amazing thing no one has mentioned is that Best Buy turned against NFC in 2011, disabling at all their stores in protest - long before MCX was more than a twinkle in Walmart's eye.

They didn't like that tapped debit cards had to run over the major networks.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm at a sit-down restaurant that is on the MasterCard map. Let's see what happens when it's time to pay: http://imgur.com/XXK6uTf

EDIT: so that's actually a FD130. They didn't have portable terminals so I got to walk to the employee area to enter the PIN (used the DC card). Good thing I was the only customer there.

Last edited by tmiw; May 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm at a sit-down restaurant that is on the MasterCard map. Let's see what happens when it's time to pay: http://imgur.com/XXK6uTf

EDIT: so that's actually a FD130. They didn't have portable terminals so I got to walk to the employee area to enter the PIN (used the DC card). Good thing I was the only customer there.
I've seen those too, they have EMV as well NFC, so try out Apple Pay next time! Also do you know why is there a VX510/VX570 next to the FD130?
Old May 3, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
I've seen those too, they have EMV as well NFC, so try out Apple Pay next time! Also do you know why is there a VX510/VX570 next to the FD130?
It's probably their old terminal. I wasn't willing to push it since the machine is definitely in a place that customers don't normally go. Maybe I'll email them later and point them to TableSafe or some other portable solution.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's probably their old terminal. I wasn't willing to push it since the machine is definitely in a place that customers don't normally go. Maybe I'll email them later and point them to TableSafe or some other portable solution.
Its a bit awkward, but isn't that how it will be in the future? I do that at a local cafe and they have no issues with it, and I'm sure they are fine with their current system as it has everything they will ever need. They could probably move it to a more easy location if they wanted too, especially if they want people to run it as debit. I also doubt ma and pa places would want to change their pos again unless they are running magstripe only readers. Although TableSafe does look nice as it supports all payments too. Now if they just opened and decided on TableSafe, then I'm sure they would have it then, but that is not the case is it?
Old May 3, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Its a bit awkward, but isn't that how it will be in the future? I do that at a local cafe and they have no issues with it, and I'm sure they are fine with their current system as it has everything they will ever need. They could probably move it to a more easy location if they wanted too, especially if they want people to run it as debit. I also doubt ma and pa places would want to change their pos again unless they are running magstripe only readers. Although TableSafe does look nice as it supports all payments too. Now if they just opened and decided on TableSafe, then I'm sure they would have it then, but that is not the case is it?
This bad merchant behavior scares me. The terminal should never be in a place customers can't go. This behavior is what will kill NFC in the U.S.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The place gave me a handwritten check so I'm not even sure TableSafe would work for them. Also, FD apparently doesn't have a good table service solution; their closest wireless terminal seems to be designed for trade shows and not restaurants (http://www.thesba.com/wp-content/upl...les_slicks.pdf). I consider myself extremely lucky that I was even able to use chip and PIN; the server could have easily said no and likely would have if the restaurant was busy.

I wonder if their merchant provider just sent them a random terminal and signed them up for the MasterCard site. It sure sounded like they had no idea about the contactless part, anyway.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:49 pm

So, I saw Best Buy's new terminals today. They are Ingenico ISC480's, they have no contactless anywhere. Not on the top, or bottom right. No idea how they plan to support Apple Pay. (The old Hypercom L4150's they had before had better support than these new things)
Old May 4, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So, I saw Best Buy's new terminals today. They are Ingenico ISC480's, they have no contactless anywhere. Not on the top, or bottom right. No idea how they plan to support Apple Pay. (The old Hypercom L4150's they had before had better support than these new things)
They have two options for Contactless: http://blmtechnology.com/media/1264/ingenicoisc480.jpg The addon like what CVS has on the top of their MX925's or built into the left where the other Contactless logo is, Office Max choose the one built into the ISC480 and I have not seen the addon anywhere yet. Publix also uses the ISC480's without the Contactless logo. All I can guess is that Best Buy will choose one those, but I don't get why they don't just add the ISC250 or ISC350's as both have NFC built in by default and the latter has a similar card swiper to the older L4150's.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:29 am

They have two options for Contactless: http://blmtechnology.com/media/1264/ingenicoisc480.jpg The addon like what CVS has on the top of their MX925's or built into the left where the other Contactless logo is, Office Max choose the one built into the ISC480 and I have not seen the addon anywhere yet. Publix also uses the ISC480's without the Contactless logo. All I can guess is that Best Buy will choose one those, but I don't get why they don't just add the ISC250 or ISC350's as both have NFC built in by default and the latter has a similar card swiper to the older L4150's.
T-Mobile uses the addon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.