Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Eventually they will learn, and move the terminal to face the customer as they are SUPPOSED TO, for contactless.
Clerk needed to use the device to enter her details, there appeared to be no separate terminal for that. I may have misremembered and it would be possible for her to hand the unit over once she's entered the sale amount, rather than being tethered in place.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Contactless still declines at Jersey Mike's as of today. This time I tried a MC so it isn't a Visa specific thing causing failures.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:08 pm

Went into a Phillips 66 gas station today, which I had seen on the Paypass locator in the past but they were no longer on there and they still had an FD35 pinpad! It said Sale or EBT, so I pressed sale, told the cashier that he had to enter the amount first on the main machine, so he did, then it said Present card $5, so I tapped and it went through fast, didn't have to sign either. The cashier asked if it was Apple Pay, I told him that it was Google Wallet which uses the same tech, and I'm glad he was pretty cool about it. ^ I also added the place to http://emvacceptedhere.com/ as I'm fairly certain EMV is enabled too!
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
At the dry cleaner just now, I noticed she had a VX 520, so when the contactless icon appeared on the screen, I asked her to tap my WF Visa card; unfortunately, it was rejected as "card error". At that point, she inserted it for a chip-and-sig transaction.

(I'd add them as a confirmed EMV business, but not sure how)
I've had Google Wallet say the same thing on a VX520, I just tapped again and it worked fine, although the cell service was 1X so that could have been why it did that the first time. It seems First Data equipment seems almost always seems to work perfectly with Contactless, while the VX520 can be buggy sometimes.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Contactless still declines at Jersey Mike's as of today. This time I tried a MC so it isn't a Visa specific thing causing failures.
Jersey Mike's Subs always works perfectly with Google Wallet, so they must be waiting to enable EMV Contactless, so that Apple Pay can finally work? Makes sense, as they are still listed as "coming soon" for Apple Pay.

Last edited by scibot; May 9, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Clerk needed to use the device to enter her details, there appeared to be no separate terminal for that. I may have misremembered and it would be possible for her to hand the unit over once she's entered the sale amount, rather than being tethered in place.
That's what I meant though. They're supposed to let you have the terminal after they key in the amount. From there you can use a card/phone/watch/whatever.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Success at Subway!

I saw a VX 520, so thought I'd ask the clerk to tap, rather than swipe, my Visa card. Went through right away with receipt stating "Acquired: contactless". From what I gather (his spoken English isn't always easy to follow), the clerk knew they take phone taps, but had not realized there were contactless credit cards out there.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I saw a VX 520, so thought I'd ask the clerk to tap, rather than swipe, my Visa card. Went through right away with receipt stating "Acquired: contactless". From what I gather (his spoken English isn't always easy to follow), the clerk knew they take phone taps, but had not realized there were contactless credit cards out there.
Subway is the place that always seems to work for me. I have trouble with Walgreens lately, with the high failure rate of those crappy Equinox terminals! Those terminals I've seen 3 that won't take contactless, despite the screen saying tap phone and one wouldn't even take a card swipe. Another the "4" key won't work on the PIN pad. They're poor quality piles of crap!

Go Verifone or Ingenico, or go home! Lol.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Subway is the place that always seems to work for me. I have trouble with Walgreens lately, with the high failure rate of those crappy Equinox terminals! Those terminals I've seen 3 that won't take contactless, despite the screen saying tap phone and one wouldn't even take a card swipe. Another the "4" key won't work on the PIN pad. They're poor quality piles of crap!

Whole Foods has been a consistent failure for me, even trying a second time before giving up (exhausting the cashier's patience).
Old May 10, 2015, 6:20 pm

I've had some recent issues with Walgreens as well, I had to tap my phone twice to get it to actually pay, but maybe that is Walgreens pos system as this ma and pa grocery store has the same L5300's and Contactless actually works better there, haha. But I'd still have to agree that Verifone and Ingenico are indeed better.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Used Apple Pay at that EMV enabled market with the FD35s. Merchant receipt said "No Signature Required" but couldn't catch anything else on it. Nothing specifically relating to mobile device CVM on the customer receipt, but the EMV related info was on it. Considering that they don't seem to waive CVM for contact EMV, magstripe or MSD contactless (I've tried all but magstripe at one point or other), I'm fairly confident that mobile device CVM was used here.

I just wish FD printed a "verified by mobile device" thing on the customer receipt so I can show people that the Apple Pay experience will be a whole lot better by next year. A lot of people still think they'll be signing for purchases using it even after EMV gets turned on.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Save Mart just did an upgrade to the software in the past two weeks on its new Verifone terminals that previously accepted contactless MasterCard but not contactless Visa. Now the contactless Visa works. This issue was not one with their processing company but a Verifone issue.

This is an issue with Verifone and the software they have installed on all of these new pinpads lately that are supposed to have the internal contactless. Expect to see this corrected soon. This bad install was done at MANY merchants.

Also Rite Aid's new Verifones will read the contactless Visa but not process it.

Natural Grocers installed these new Verifones last week and they won't read a contactless Visa but will read the contactless MasterCard so Verifone has not even fixed this on new installs yet.

Thank Verifone for contactless Visa not working at so many NFC-enabled merchants...

I wonder when Whole Foods will correct this. Them (and Nugget Markets) both previously had older Verifones with the contactless add-on on top and it accepted contactless Visa or contactless MasterCard or contactless American Express or contactless Discover. Now they have installed the new Verifones with the internal contactless and the contactless Visa won't work anymore.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:54 am

I'm fairly confident that mobile device CVM was used here.
Or the transaction amount was less a Terminal Contactless CVM Limit.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Thank Verifone for contactless Visa not working at so many NFC-enabled merchants...
Do you think it is a guilt of Verifone?

Last edited by Lyolik; May 11, 2015 at 6:01 am
Old May 11, 2015, 6:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Applepay on London tube experience

I used Applepay on the tube for a few days last month. First day had no problem at all. On subsequent days I ran into a few issues touching in or out, where I got a "seek assistance" message, but I was always able to get it to work after repeated touches. This did not seem to result in any unfinished journey or extra charges.

I did get charged for one unfinished journey, but that was my fault for not touching in when transferring from tube to DLR. The biggest downside was not being able to get refunded for that mess up. I tried at the station, but they said they couldn't process it for contactless and that I'd have to call in. The agent seemed a bit clueless, so I might have gotten a different result from another agent. I haven't tried calling yet, but don't expect it to work, as they seem to require the full card number and cvv number.

After the unfinished journey problem, I went back to using my Oystercard.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:22 am

Save Mart just did an upgrade to the software in the past two weeks on its new Verifone terminals that previously accepted contactless MasterCard but not contactless Visa. Now the contactless Visa works. This issue was not one with their processing company but a Verifone issue.

This is an issue with Verifone and the software they have installed on all of these new pinpads lately that are supposed to have the internal contactless. Expect to see this corrected soon. This bad install was done at MANY merchants.

Also Rite Aid's new Verifones will read the contactless Visa but not process it.

Natural Grocers installed these new Verifones last week and they won't read a contactless Visa but will read the contactless MasterCard so Verifone has not even fixed this on new installs yet.

I wonder when Whole Foods will correct this. Them (and Nugget Markets) both previously had older Verifones with the contactless add-on on top and it accepted contactless Visa or contactless MasterCard or contactless American Express or contactless Discover. Now they have installed the new Verifones with the internal contactless and the contactless Visa won't work anymore.
Does that include Visa Apple Pay as well or only Contactless cards? Points Scrounger was definitely running into that issue at Whole Foods mentioned some posts back with a Visa Contactless card. CVS is exactly the same as Rite Aid, it would only take an update to enable the processing again. I hope Natural Grocers will keep the Contactless turned on, especially since they were just hacked until like a couple of months back. Was the Mastercard Apple Pay, or just a Contactless card? I've only used Google Wallet at Natural Grocers which of course worked fine.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have any payPass cards to try but Apple Pay does work fine with a Visa card at these terminals.

Originally Posted by Lyolik
Or the transaction amount was less a Terminal Contactless CVM Limit.
The limit is apparently $0 since I'm asked to sign if I tap my Diner's Club card.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:09 am

The limit is apparently $0 since I'm asked to sign if I tap my Diner's Club card.
Did you use your ApplePay with a Diner's Club virtual card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.