Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
That is an ancient ancient ancient register! Our Wendy's has brand new NCR equipment with color LCDs facing the customer. No card terminal however, just integrated POS MSR.
Maybe your local Wendy's is corporate-owned? It would explain the use of a separate terminal at mine anyway.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
That is an ancient ancient ancient register! Our Wendy's has brand new NCR equipment with color LCDs facing the customer. No card terminal however, just integrated POS MSR.
And that will likely never change, at least a few years ago Wendy's was one of the strongest anti-EMV voices (along with Murphy Oil, both of whom basically pledged that they would simply refuse to upgrade).
Old May 19, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by AllieKat
And that will likely never change, at least a few years ago Wendy's was one of the strongest anti-EMV voices (along with Murphy Oil, both of whom basically pledged that they would simply refuse to upgrade).
Not condoning this but I really do hope that Wendy's gets breached next so they would upgrade. If smaller chains like Chick Fil A can do it, so can Wendy's. If it wasn't for all of these data breaches I'm sure EMV wouldn't have been even on the radar for the USA. I'm sure these giant color LCDs and fancy registers are much more expensive than your average Verifone or Ingenico. Cost obviously isn't a factor here.

Murphy Oil, bad decision as this will end up costing them so much money as gas stations and convenience stores see a lot of stolen cards already as is.

I hope the people behind Wendy's would get their head out of that certain dark spot and embrace it already. Especially with contactless, soon they'll be the only ones you can't use contactless at when it comes to fast food. Oh wait remember one of their slogans? "it's waaaayyy better than fast food. It's Wendy's." As if Wendy's isn't fast food. Wow I'm off on a tangent now.

Last edited by RedLight2015; May 19, 2015 at 10:21 am
Old May 19, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Does Wendy's force signatures, or do they have a CVM waiver?
Old May 19, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Does Wendy's force signatures, or do they have a CVM waiver?
No CVM and over $25 signature required, really no different than Firehouse Subs or many other QSR's

Last edited by scibot; May 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 11:34 am

So did they just decide that it's cheaper for them to eat the cost of fraud that they're responsible for after the liability shift than to switch to EMV?

If I ever decide to take up a life of crime and start cloning credit cards, I guess I know where I'm eating my meals at. Lucky for Wendy's, I wouldn't live too long eating that crap every day
Old May 19, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by t325
So did they just decide that it's cheaper for them to eat the cost of fraud that they're responsible for after the liability shift than to switch to EMV?

If I ever decide to take up a life of crime and start cloning credit cards, I guess I know where I'm eating my meals at. Lucky for Wendy's, I wouldn't live too long eating that crap every day
To be fair, food service is pretty low-risk from a fraud perspective. I don't see someone trying to buy hundreds of dollars in Wendy's gift cards and trying to sell them on Craigslist. (Is there even that much demand for Wendy's? The one I went to yesterday had almost no customers at 7pm, which should be close to dinner rush.)

That said, I think the franchised Wendy's locations will eventually do EMV and maybe contactless. Wendy's doesn't seem to exercise much control over them from a payments perspective; otherwise the ones here would have had newer POSes.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Used Apple Pay at Fuddruckers today and this time it worked.

No contactless symbol or green/clear dots on the terminal though so I almost didn't use it. In that regard they went backwards. Without the sign I probably wouldn't have bothered trying.
At the Nike Factory Store I ran Google Wallet as debit and it declined, but credit worked fine. Also today I used Google Wallet at franchised Fuddruckers and the cashier said that was the first time he had seen it work, so he was surprised. Its the MX915 with a blue background, shows the MX870 with the four dots, but it took like 5 to 10 seconds for those dots to show up and work for my phone. He mentioned that they were having some issues with their new pos system. I also saw the four dots at Natural Grocers when I tapped, all four were green, but it only showed for a second.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:26 pm

Fuddrucker's here is an OLD Verifone countertop terminal. No contactless.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:19 am

Fuddrucker's here is an OLD Verifone countertop terminal. No contactless.
Here is the new pos and mx915's: https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...fc&oe=55FEAB13 The one that tmiw posted shows the same configuration. So yours is using like a VX510 or VX570 then with a separate cash register and not some intergrated pos like in the picture right? Well before the local one had some sort of Radiant Systems pos with only an MSR. I wonder if their corp is forcing them to use the pos they use themselves even at franchised locations now, just like how Jersey Mike's Subs does it. I know they started with only 33% of the total locations and corporate stores were first to get the upgrade.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Here is the new pos and mx915's: https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...fc&oe=55FEAB13 The one that tmiw posted shows the same configuration. So yours is using like a VX510 or VX570 then with a separate cash register and not some intergrated pos like in the picture right? Well before the local one had some sort of Radiant Systems pos with only an MSR. I wonder if their corp is forcing them to use the pos they use themselves even at franchised locations now, just like how Jersey Mike's Subs does it. I know they started with only 33% of the total locations and corporate stores were first to get the upgrade.
Yes, pretty sure it's a VX570. Your picture doesn't even remotely resemble what the Fuddrucker's here looks like inside (menu board, layout, decor, anything).

Here's a fairly recent picture:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/tec...7816876d3.html
Old May 20, 2015, 2:40 am

Yes, pretty sure it's a VX570. Your picture doesn't even remotely resemble what the Fuddrucker's here looks like inside (menu board, layout, decor, anything).

Here's a fairly recent picture:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/tec...7816876d3.html
Yeah that is very different, that has to be franchised for sure, also do they have the coca cola freestyle machine, as many do, or no?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:44 am

Yeah that is very different, that has to be franchised for sure, also do they have the coca cola freestyle machine, as many do, or no?
Yes they do
Old May 20, 2015, 4:11 am

So Ace Hardware must be replacing their really old Ingenicos with brand new ones, cool. I just realize that this article: http://www.news-press.com/story/mone...tion/18147383/ I found isn't about the iSC 250 pictured, but its really about the FD35 pinpad and the main FD card machine that is a bit hidden, but doesn't Shunshine Ace realize that the iSC 250 also supports Apple Pay with an update?
@AllieKat I see two Ace's in your city on the Paypass locator, hmm.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:33 am

So Ace Hardware must be replacing their really old Ingenicos with brand new ones, cool. I just realize that this article: http://www.news-press.com/story/mone...tion/18147383/ I found isn't about the iSC 250 pictured, but its really about the FD35 pinpad and the main FD card machine that is a bit hidden, but doesn't Shunshine Ace realize that the iSC 250 also supports Apple Pay with an update?
@AllieKat I see two Ace's in your city on the Paypass locator, hmm.
The Ace near me has had iSC 250s forever, without EMV or NFC enabled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.