Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lyolik
Did you use your ApplePay with a Diner's Club virtual card?
I tapped the actual card, not the phone. The actual card doesn't support EMV contactless at all, only MSD.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I heard from someone with sources at CVS that they're looking to get out of their deal with MCX, or at least to reenable NFC when they contractually can. No ETA though, unfortunately.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, I heard from someone with sources at CVS that they're looking to get out of their deal with MCX, or at least to reenable NFC when they contractually can. No ETA though, unfortunately.
If Best Buy and Meijer can do it, why not CVS? Something tells me their going to wait for chip card enablement to reenable NFC
Old May 12, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by stanj
I used Applepay on the tube for a few days last month. First day had no problem at all. On subsequent days I ran into a few issues touching in or out, where I got a "seek assistance" message, but I was always able to get it to work after repeated touches. This did not seem to result in any unfinished journey or extra charges.

I did get charged for one unfinished journey, but that was my fault for not touching in when transferring from tube to DLR. The biggest downside was not being able to get refunded for that mess up. I tried at the station, but they said they couldn't process it for contactless and that I'd have to call in. The agent seemed a bit clueless, so I might have gotten a different result from another agent. I haven't tried calling yet, but don't expect it to work, as they seem to require the full card number and cvv number.

After the unfinished journey problem, I went back to using my Oystercard.
Which card did you use?
Old May 12, 2015, 9:47 pm

Trader Joe's now accepting Apple Pay & Google Wallet!

Wow I just found this picture on Twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE2J45pWgAAz_Md.jpg If so then FINALLY! ^^^ Another picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD9hLYvUEAA9B-i.jpg:large Says Windows Wallet too, hmmm. Someone on twitter said that is started on May 11th, so not that long ago!

Last edited by scibot; May 12, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Wow I just found this picture on Twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE2J45pWgAAz_Md.jpg If so then FINALLY! ^^^ Another picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD9hLYvUEAA9B-i.jpg:large Says Windows Wallet too, hmmm. Someone on twitter said that is started on May 11th, so not that long ago!
More info on Windows Wallet: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...p8/apps/wallet. Looks like it requires a special SIM card just like Softcard did.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:39 am

More info on Windows Wallet: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...p8/apps/wallet. Looks like it requires a special SIM card just like Softcard did.
From what I've read they will use hce soon, so it will support most cards then. Currently it is useless as I'm sure very few cards are even supported.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:18 am

I tapped the actual card, not the phone. The actual card doesn't support EMV contactless at all, only MSD.
How can you draw conclusions about "mobile device CVM was used" comparing the cards (ApplePay with MC/Visa virtual card and DC contactless card) of the different payment networks?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lyolik
How can you draw conclusions about "mobile device CVM was used" comparing the cards (ApplePay with MC/Visa virtual card and DC contactless card) of the different payment networks?
This particular establishment does not waive CVM for any amount. Swipe, insert, tap with card that only supports MSD contactless, none of those let me get out of signing or entering a PIN. Since mobile device CVM is preferred over signature if it's available, the fact that I wasn't asked to sign when using Apple Pay is pretty indicative. It would be nice to try an EMV contactless card to be sure but I don't have access to one.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Why would tapping a contactless card that has an EMV chip give a different result than tapping one that doesn't? FWIW, my WF Visa has a chip and my WF debit doesn't.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scibot

Wonder if it's some sort of trial (being that the user's location is Cupertino, Apple's home town). We have the same terminal at my TJ's and as of Sunday there is no branding even close to this. The tweet was from May 1st.

But May 11th ... I could make a stop this afternoon
Old May 13, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Why would tapping a contactless card that has an EMV chip give a different result than tapping one that doesn't? FWIW, my WF Visa has a chip and my WF debit doesn't.
It's not whether there's an EMV chip or not, but whether the contactless functionality on the card supports EMV or just magstripe equivalent (MSD). It's totally possible for a card to have an EMV chip yet only support the latter, like what Diner's Club does.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:37 am

This is getting old really fast, I don't know why or what these merchant service providers and how they are training their merchants..when they go setup a new terminal for someone.

I should not be the one to have to instruct the cashier how to run an Apple Pay transaction, because of these lazy merchant service providers and how they train their merchants. Lately at every mom and pop store with contactless, I had to be the one who did the training for them every time! I feel like I'm doing the job that the merchant service provider was supposed to do for them!! I ask the owner, and the owner tells me that their guy who set the terminal up for them never showed them how!

I emailed WorldPay expressing my concerns. The equipment is out there but nobody is trained, this is enough to not let contactless take off.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
This is getting old really fast, I don't know why or what these merchant service providers and how they are training their merchants..when they go setup a new terminal for someone.

I should not be the one to have to instruct the cashier how to run an Apple Pay transaction, because of these lazy merchant service providers and how they train their merchants. Lately at every mom and pop store with contactless, I had to be the one who did the training for them every time! I feel like I'm doing the job that the merchant service provider was supposed to do for them!!
When they're being told that "it's the same as you're doing before, just that you insert the card instead of swiping", of course there'll be problems. The Elavon terminals even tell the merchant to give the terminal to the customer, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually do that.

That said, contactless is very very new in the US so there'll definitely be growing pains.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:43 am

When they're being told that "it's the same as you're doing before, just that you insert the card instead of swiping", of course there'll be problems. The Elavon terminals even tell the merchant to give the terminal to the customer, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually do that.

That said, contactless is very very new in the US so there'll definitely be growing pains.
These terminals won't tell you to pass the terminal over if you began by swiping or inserting the card first...which most merchants are sadly trained to do, rather than going through the menus first like you're supposed to. They need to disable swipe/insert first and force you to go through the menus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.