Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
ARCO has had a debit card surcharge for as long as I can remember. I don't think your complaint will matter since I doubt your transaction was processed over the Visa network; every time I've gone there they ask for PIN so I suspect they only support the PIN debit networks.
The receipt says "Visa Debit" right on it too, so it's worth a shot. Worst that'll happen is they'll say no or otherwise ignore the complaint.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found a pizza shop that was contactless enabled according to the MC site. They use what looks like one of the Ingenico iCT200 series terminals. I wasn't sure how to walk the guy through a contactless transaction if necessary so I paid with EMV, which was turned on too apparently. There's some sort of Sale soft key right? For some reason I'm thinking it's similar to Verifone.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Found a pizza shop that was contactless enabled according to the MC site. They use what looks like one of the Ingenico iCT200 series terminals. I wasn't sure how to walk the guy through a contactless transaction if necessary so I paid with EMV, which was turned on too apparently. There's some sort of Sale soft key right? For some reason I'm thinking it's similar to Verifone.
Here is how to run Contactless on a ICT250 and probably other Ingenico's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBGN4qGnEA Try it for sure and post the receipt when you do! Also how on an FD130: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w70Lg7ArNc So today I went into a Natural Grocers and they had a brand new pos system and a Verifone MX915, so I tapped and it worked! ^ Did not show any indication that it was on and I really hope they leave it on, as they are kind of like Whole Foods so they SHOULD support it! The cashier said a few people had asked about it, but now she can say that they do, well I'm not so sure Apple Pay will work, but Google Wallet will for sure. Also I saw a local Kroger owned store called Baker's and they had the MX915's too, but NFC was turned off...
Old May 1, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Here is how to run Contactless on a ICT250 and probably other Ingenico's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBGN4qGnEA Try it for sure and post the receipt when you do! Also how on an FD130: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w70Lg7ArNc So today I went into a Natural Grocers and they had a brand new pos system and a Verifone MX915, so I tapped and it worked! ^ Did not show any indication that it was on and I really hope they leave it on, as they are kind of like Whole Foods so they SHOULD support it! The cashier said a few people had asked about it, but now she can say that they do, well I'm not so sure Apple Pay will work, but Google Wallet will for sure. Also I saw a local Kroger owned store called Baker's and they had the MX915's too, but NFC was turned off...
I would never have thought to use the green OK key to go to the main menu, so I can see how businesses would not know that they support NFC (especially if they just swipe or insert without pushing anything first). FD's interface is definitely better in that regard.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:21 pm

Used Apple Pay at a T-Mobile store in NYC today. They are using MX925s with a separate contactless receiver mounted above the unit. EMV slot is unblocked but inserting did nothing.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Used Apple Pay at a T-Mobile store in NYC today. They are using MX925s with a separate contactless receiver mounted above the unit. EMV slot is unblocked but inserting did nothing.
I think T-Mobile uses Ingenico Isc480, not Verifone. They are nice looking terminals though.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:41 am

I would never have thought to use the green OK key to go to the main menu, so I can see how businesses would not know that they support NFC (especially if they just swipe or insert without pushing anything first). FD's interface is definitely better in that regard.
Its a good thing that payment provider companies upload these videos, otherwise we would never know how to run Contactless on any of these machines! Here is one for an ICT220: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meDJyOllziY That receipt it prints shows its an EMV Contactless transaction too! Also Natural Grocers makes you sign for credit now, when it didn't with their old system, which was having issues before they got hacked even.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I think T-Mobile uses Ingenico Isc480, not Verifone. They are nice looking terminals though.
Yeah, looking at the images you're right. I thought the stylus holder looked a little off. The contactless logo in the ISC480 marketing images wasn't anywhere on the terminals, but the screen did display one when it was time to pay.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by scibot
In my experience, smaller shops keep those types of terminals facing the staff. I'd probably have to specifically get the clerk to look for the contactless symbol and tap himself, which I'm not sure they'd do for fear of "getting in trouble".
Old May 2, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
In my experience, smaller shops keep those types of terminals facing the staff. I'd probably have to specifically get the clerk to look for the contactless symbol and tap himself, which I'm not sure they'd do for fear of "getting in trouble".
You politely ask and instruct them and they usually have no issues trying it and when it works they think its cool, and then they know that they take Apple Pay and Google Wallet. ^ That is how it usually goes, as they get their money and pay nothing more than they usually would, so everyone wins then.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I always tell the cashier that I'm paying with my phone. In fact at a local cafe they didn't even know they took it. The next day they out up a sign saying "We take Apple Pay" - because of me!!
Old May 2, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
[ goQUOTE=scibot;24755127]You politely ask and instruct them and they usually have no issues trying it and when it works they think its cool, and then they know that they take Apple Pay and Google Wallet. ^ That is how it usually goes, as they get their money and pay nothing more than they usually would, so everyone wins then. [/QUOTE]

If I get a clerk who seems sympathetic, I'll point out the contactless symbol on my Visa card: " If you see this appear, please tap the card, rather than swiping it." With my luck, it'd go through as a signature transaction anyway.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm hearing from multiple sources that contactless no longer works at Home Depot for any card or phone (not just MasterCard as before). Is this true? If so, it's kinda weird that there's not nearly the uproar that Rite-Aid and CVS disabling theirs caused.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:07 pm

So I'm hearing from multiple sources that contactless no longer works at Home Depot for any card or phone (not just MasterCard as before). Is this true? If so, it's kinda weird that there's not nearly the uproar that Rite-Aid and CVS disabling theirs caused.
I haven't been to Home Depot in quite awhile, but it wouldn't shock me at all if this is true, at least temporarily while they set up EMV - and may be why they never became an Apple Pay partner. Remember, in EMV you need certifications for contactless in your environment...

As for uproar - one is frequency of use, but two is motivation. Rite-Aid and CVS disabled theirs to flip off the credit card companies. Home Depot is likely just too cheap to bother paying for the EMV contactless certifications
Old May 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
After several successful Apple Pay transactions at HD, they stopped working 2-3 weeks ago. I tried MC and AX, both failed (previously, only MC would fail).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.