Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I doubt it, but it would help if Clover actually told their merchants something along the lines of "signature/PIN may not be required due to automatic cardholder verification by the payment device".
Actually, this might be why:

You can set a minimum amount for when a signature is required. Any order or transaction amount under this number will not require a customer’s signature. This can help speed up transactions, especially during busy periods.

For example, if a sandwich shop sets a threshold of $20.00, customers whose orders are under $20.00 can pay without a signature. This keeps the line moving quickly, and more customers can be served during the lunch rush.

NOTE
Asking for a tip always requires a signature, regardless of payment amount.
The business did have tipping turned on from what I remember. But if the tip's asked for before the tap/insert/swipe prompt, I'd imagine that PIN/CDCVM would still work, right?

BTW contactless with Grocery Outlet is still MSD-only and the terminals now have the same UI as SuperValu et al ("Swipe/Insert/Tap Card" with the various card logos on the bottom).
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:01 pm

Wonder if the new POS systems they installed at GNC nationwide yesterday will accept NFC

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tems/95920478/
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nacron
Wonder if the new POS systems they installed at GNC nationwide yesterday will accept NFC

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tems/95920478/
Mentioned in the other thread. The short answer is no, unfortunately.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:21 pm

I found a Korean cafe with customer-facing iSC250s attached to a custom POS. Everything's enabled, with a tip prompt before presenting the card. Visa contactless is MSD, though, and they have no signature waiver. Not sure if they support debit.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A while ago I noticed that the sit-down Chinese restaurant in the same shopping center as the place I went to today had an Apple Pay logo on their window. I went there after lunch and noticed that the logo is no longer in their window. Additionally, it appears to have changed name/ownership again and has adopted very restrictive card use conditions ($10 minimum + a subset of the menu is cash only).

Anyway, I noticed that they have a VX520 with a sticker from the same people who sold the other place their equipment, so there's a good chance EMV works. Contactless probably does too but I'd consider the terminal inaccessible to customers despite being at the front counter unless the cables it's attached to are pretty long.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Isn't the per-transaction fee for Interac Flash a bit higher than just regular Interac? Walmart seems to be the kind of company that would refuse to pay it as long as they don't lose many customers.
Yes, there is a $0.02 to $0.035 interchange fee paid from the acquirer to the issuer for Interac Flash transactions, and is honestly something a merchant like Wal-Mart could negotiate out of their processing contract.

But MasterCard in Canada actually offers lower interchange for low-value contactless transactions (up to $10, rising to $25 next year), and Wal-Mart Canada's co-branded credit card is a MasterCard so even from that perspective, the issue would not be costs. It is a clearly a business decision for them.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Yes, there is a $0.02 to $0.035 interchange fee paid from the acquirer to the issuer for Interac Flash transactions, and is honestly something a merchant like Wal-Mart could negotiate out of their processing contract.

But MasterCard in Canada actually offers lower interchange for low-value contactless transactions (up to $10, rising to $25 next year), and Wal-Mart Canada's co-branded credit card is a MasterCard so even from that perspective, the issue would not be costs. It is a clearly a business decision for them.
Walmart's management seems to have a personal grudge in general towards Visa/MC so even that might not be enough.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just went to a Mediterranean takeout that had an Apple Pay but I only saw a FD100. Why even mention it if you don't have the ability to accept it?

Bonus: they have an AT&T router but the terminal appeared to be connected via dialup.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I would've made a point of asking whether they did Apple Pay (as NFC is commonly known).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I would've made a point of asking whether they did Apple Pay (as NFC is commonly known).
I suppose it's possible that their FD35 was in the shop at the time. I didn't see anything else terminal-looking on the counter though.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I just asked in Australia if I could tap.

If there wasn't a contactless say,bol.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:29 pm

I checked out a small market/cafe near my house that opened not too long ago. They have a Square contactless reader that's facing the wrong way (chip slot facing customer), but other than that, they have all of Square's signage (window sticker and 'pay with your phone' paper stand) promoting contactless.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I checked out a small market/cafe near my house that opened not too long ago. They have a Square contactless reader that's facing the wrong way (chip slot facing customer), but other than that, they have all of Square's signage (window sticker and 'pay with your phone' paper stand) promoting contactless.
The silly thing is that since Square doesn't support PIN in the US at all (and even if they did, the PIN entry would be on the tablet/phone), there's no reason to have a customer-facing chip slot. That's not to say that cards shouldn't be out of view of customers during the transaction, however.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...artphones.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 16, 2017 at 6:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.