Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So, I saw Best Buy's new terminals today. They are Ingenico ISC480's, they have no contactless anywhere. Not on the top, or bottom right. No idea how they plan to support Apple Pay. (The old Hypercom L4150's they had before had better support than these new things)
The contactless feature is in the bottom left corner. The logo is just a sticker they can put on at any time. If you look closely at OfficeMax/Depot's terminals, the contactless logo is just a sticker.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The contactless feature is in the bottom left corner. The logo is just a sticker they can put on at any time. If you look closely at OfficeMax/Depot's terminals, the contactless logo is just a sticker.
Now that I look at a picture I have of a Office Max iSC480: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2015-01-08.jpg, you are correct its simply a sticker, so I wonder if Best Buys new systems has the NFC enabled, although I bet its just like the iSC250 and 350's it has to be enabled later after all stores are updated.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:38 pm

Ah! I see now. So this means they have the internal contactless version just without the sticker yet. Cool, they look good! (Though I still maintain to believe the L4150's were the best looking terminals ever)
Old May 5, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So apparently Home Depot has only "temporarily" disabled NFC: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...pay?cmpid=yhoo

I kinda figured it'd be fine to enable MSD contactless for now but at least they didn't decide to go join CurrentC or something.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
So apparently Home Depot has only "temporarily" disabled NFC: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...pay?cmpid=yhoo

I kinda figured it'd be fine to enable MSD contactless for now but at least they didn't decide to go join CurrentC or something.
I think it has to do with the enablement of EMV, and the contactless had to get certified just like the regular Chip slot.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it has to do with the enablement of EMV, and the contactless had to get certified just like the regular Chip slot.
I'm guessing they're not allowed to keep the contactless interface as MSD only if they turn on EMV, right?

Speaking of contactless EMV I used Apple Pay at a deli today. They had a FD35 so I had to push Sale and explain to the guy behind the counter that he needed to enter the amount before I could tap. After I tapped I had to choose Credit and then sign for the purchase. Could that extra selection be an indicator that EMV is not turned on? (I also had tried swiping my card last time I was here and it allowed the transaction.)
Old May 6, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That sounds a lot like Bartell Drugs here in WA: tap-and-sign for all purchases.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:43 pm

I'm guessing they're not allowed to keep the contactless interface as MSD only if they turn on EMV, right?

Speaking of contactless EMV I used Apple Pay at a deli today. They had a FD35 so I had to push Sale and explain to the guy behind the counter that he needed to enter the amount before I could tap. After I tapped I had to choose Credit and then sign for the purchase. Could that extra selection be an indicator that EMV is not turned on? (I also had tried swiping my card last time I was here and it allowed the transaction.)
Does the receipt from Apple Pay say AID & Chip Card #? IPhones are "EMV cards"
Old May 6, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Could that extra selection be an indicator that EMV is not turned on? (I also had tried swiping my card last time I was here and it allowed the transaction.)
Nope.
I agree - sounds like it to me. I've used contactless EMV cards on FD35 terminals in the US before and after that same terminal was EMV enabled. Prior to, it behaved as you have described (would have used my card in 'MSD' mode), had to press Credit and sign. After enabled, goes right through, no signature required and EMV information on the receipt.

I've used Apple Pay on this same terminal as well and shows all the EMV information. Same as using in Canada - all EMV transactions.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So according to the people who worked on the common debit spec, it's compatible with contactless almost as-is: http://globenewswire.com/news-releas...-Addendum.html

Mobile device CVM isn't mentioned at all in the new document though, so does that mean Apple Pay or similar have to get run over the credit networks to take advantage of that?
Old May 7, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also I went back to that pizza place that has EMV turned on and tried Apple Pay. Apparently MSD got used since I don't see EMV info on the receipt and I think there was a signature line on the merchant copy. My copy: http://imgur.com/LIbU01p

Any idea why they wouldn't have used EMV contactless here?
Old May 7, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm confused about whether contactless closes out a zero tip transaction upon approval, or whether it's a swipe-style temporary "approval" with tip added later?
Old May 7, 2015, 2:09 pm

Also I went back to that pizza place that has EMV turned on and tried Apple Pay. Apparently MSD got used since I don't see EMV info on the receipt and I think there was a signature line on the merchant copy. My copy: http://imgur.com/LIbU01p

Any idea why they wouldn't have used EMV contactless here?
That is a Contactless MSD transaction on an Ingenico ICT220 or ICT250 terminal huh, you should post that here: http://emvacceptedhere.com/sample_receipts ^ I'm guessing it has to do with software or the provider, probably like how the VX520 doesn't have EMV enabled yet, but it will soon. tmiw have you seen any Verifone VX520 locally?
Old May 7, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
That is a Contactless MSD transaction on an Ingenico ICT220 or ICT250 terminal huh, you should post that here: http://emvacceptedhere.com/sample_receipts ^ I'm guessing it has to do with software or the provider, probably like how the VX520 doesn't have EMV enabled yet, but it will soon. tmiw have you seen any Verifone VX520 locally?
Added. ^

It was an iCT250 from Elavon. It also said to "pass terminal to customer" but of course they didn't do that. Fortunately it was reachable by me and the woman at the counter guessed what I was trying to do. She commented that no one has really tried to tap but she's seen the "tap logo" on the screen. I also don't think PIN would be a problem either. It's weird that contactless was only MSD though when I was able to do a contact EMV transaction there just last week.

Also, no VX520s that I remember seeing recently or at all really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.