Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry if this a dumb question, but having looked at online pics of the FD 35, I didn't see a "sale" button?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry if this a dumb question, but having looked at online pics of the FD 35, I didn't see a "sale" button?
It's a soft key, push the blank button below the word sale on the screen.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Exactly right RedLight, First of all they said how dangerous using stuff like Google Wallet/Apple Pay is, LOL! It was a restaurant so I already ate, so I couldn't just dine and dash and it was a VX520 with contactless which they just got, heck I tried to explain how to run it even pressing the F2 button to start it, but they flat out refused listen or even try it as they backed out of it, saying how it was there right to not want to run it. I didn't get why someone would refuse money, unless that person is a total idiot, then being all rude and nasty on top of it, what a terrible owner, sadly acting like that they will probably go out of business soon. I have never had an issue at any of the other ma and pa places I have tried to run it at, so its rare to find such people. Another restaurant two doors down has the VX520 too and they didn't seem to be against trying contactless on it, but I didn't know how to run it then, so I tried to just tap without instructing them to press sale and entering an amount. I will go back at some point and try it and they probably won't be a total jerk to me, unless they want me to never come back again.
Wow. If it had gotten to that point, I would probably be rude back and say "ok it's your right not to run my payment, then it's obvious you don't want me to pay you"...followed by "I'll make sure to never come here again and I will never recommend this place to anyone"

Call your card provider right there and have them speak to the owner too. I have had great luck with 1-800-MasterC. Then make sure you follow through with Yelp reviews etc.

I tend to notice that places with owners like this- the food generally isn't that great anyway. I am there to support small businesses, but they don't want me as a customer- and then they proceed to blame Walmart for "killing small businesses"

Apple Pay is as at least secure as an EMV card, and definitely more secure than a Magstripe card so them saying that makes me laugh.

Thankfully I never run into this much trouble at any mom and pop restaurant- only large retail stores gave me trouble and it's usually because they don't know how to run it and I have to walk them through it.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
It's a soft key, push the blank button below the word sale on the screen.
Thanks! I'm not as up on all the techie spec knowledge, but I see a lot of the "mobile phone looking" terminals facing the clerk. As there's no EMV supported on them (yet), and few American contactless cards, they assume it's "more convenient" to have the clerk swipe traditionally.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:09 pm

The subway near my house has a VX820 that "the owner" won't let them put customer-facing. I was able to convince them to let me use contactless but only one of the 5 employees in the store knew how to enable it with their integrated POS.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I haven't used Apple Pay at Subway yet because it seems like a major hassle compared to most other places that officially support it. (Yeah, having to tell them that you want to pay by contactless rationally isn't that big of a deal but still.) Fortunately the terminals all seem to be on the customer side at least around here.

BTW First Data doesn't seem to have any sort of tutorial info on the FD35 or contactless on their integrated units (e.g. https://www.firstdata.com/demos/term...FD130_Demo.swf). I think the "manual" transaction workflow is how you're supposed to do it except for tapping instead of entering the card number.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly enough the US is #3 on MasterCard's mobile readiness index: http://mobilereadiness.mastercard.com/the-index/. This is much higher than I expected even 6+ months after Apple Pay came out.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Interestingly enough the US is #3 on MasterCard's mobile readiness index: http://mobilereadiness.mastercard.com/the-index/. This is much higher than I expected even 6+ months after Apple Pay came out.
I think we can thank all the FD terminals, and the Vx520, lol.

Also I am noticing more and more and more stores get contact less almost daily. I'm waking up each day to find PIN pads at stores that previously didn't have it. I think we will be at least at 80% contact less acceptance once EMV is on.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I think we can thank all the FD terminals, and the Vx520, lol.

Also I am noticing more and more and more stores get contact less almost daily. I'm waking up each day to find PIN pads at stores that previously didn't have it. I think we will be at least at 80% contact less acceptance once EMV is on.
The report looks to be from 2012, before EMV became a thing (let alone contactless/NFC). For me anyway, it's not every day but places do seem to be getting the equipment.

Hopefully Chipotle and In-N-Out are next.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by wco81
Lost my Apple Pay because I had to reset my iPhone to try to fix a sound problem.

So I add them all back in but my BofA Visa is a pain in the ....

For verification, they're suppose to send an SMS but they haven't. Yet got an email saying my card was added to Apple Pay. Email even lists the last 4 digits of the card and the DAN.

But I didn't even get the SMS!

So I switch verification to calling Visa and they want to ask all kinds of questions based on my credit report. Problem is, I have my credit frozen due to the Anthem attack. So they can't verify me through the call center.

I don't recall having problems verifying this card before.
I ran into the same problem w/ USAA. They'll only text a verification code, but my cell number wasn't listed in my profile, so they "can't" send me the text. They say it'll take 4-6 weeks after I add my cell number to my profile before they can text me the verification code. What!?!

All this for a card that I've had on applepay for months. Looks like my USAA card is going into the drawer and will not be getting any use.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:25 pm

I haven't used Apple Pay at Subway yet because it seems like a major hassle compared to most other places that officially support it. (Yeah, having to tell them that you want to pay by contactless rationally isn't that big of a deal but still.) Fortunately the terminals all seem to be on the customer side at least around here.
At Subway they ask for cash or credit, you tell them credit, then they press credit and you tap to the screen of the VX820 done. Its the same way as a swipe, but you tap instead. Thats still way easier than Jersey Mike's Subs is, but Firehouse Subs is easier as the signal is stronger than at Subway. Also it hasn't been posted here, only in the EMV thread, but Chick Fil A now has MX915's and anyone willing to try Apple Pay/Google Wallet there? I may try it as soon as I have a chance. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CClcP-7UMAArM24.png
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently in New Zealand you can opt out of contactless now: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/6792...tless-payments
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:20 pm

Apparently in New Zealand you can opt out of contactless now: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/6792...tless-payments
When the SPG Amex card changed from the blue to the red design, it also added contactless support. At the time I was still wary of contactless credit cards, and while Amex couldn't send me a card that didn't have it, they were able (or so they claimed) to make a change on their end to disable the contactless; presumably they would simply configure their system to always decline contactless transactions on my card.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:03 pm

For any grocery shoppers in the greater St. Louis area, Shop n Save now supports Apple Pay/NFC (MX915) and Dierbergs is working on rolling it out according to a post on their Facebook page (The store by me recently got MX915s as well but NFC was disabled). And according to a post on /r/stlouis Schnucks has it at a few stores (not sure which PIN pad, haven't been to one with it yet) and are working on rolling it out. So hopefully all of our major grocery stores will have NFC in the next few months.

'Bout time, especially for Schnucks. Another hacked retailer that should've upgraded to something more secure years ago
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by t325
For any grocery shoppers in the greater St. Louis area, Shop n Save now supports Apple Pay/NFC (MX915) and Dierbergs is working on rolling it out according to a post on their Facebook page (The store by me recently got MX915s as well but NFC was disabled). And according to a post on /r/stlouis Schnucks has it at a few stores (not sure which PIN pad, haven't been to one with it yet) and are working on rolling it out. So hopefully all of our major grocery stores will have NFC in the next few months.

'Bout time, especially for Schnucks. Another hacked retailer that should've upgraded to something more secure years ago
Great news for you all, although that is exactly what is happening to many non-MCX grocery stores, they are all getting Contactless payment support, minus Kroger, who is slow to act hehe.
Also today I went back into the BP I snapped this picture in: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...102151707a.jpg but went to the other register this time and the theme had changed to a Verifone one, with the same options, but Google Wallet worked perfectly without asking for credit/debit, which most BP's seem to ask for now. I do think its odd that it would change like that and I am wondering why it changed hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.