Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Someone pointed out that if you use Apple Pay, you won't benefit from the daily cap as you would with an Oyster or a contactless card.
That's not true. For a given card you have in Apple Pay it sends out the same card number (the DAN) for every transaction. The daily limits are placed on a given card number (DAN). The only way to circumvent the daily cap is to get a new card number (DAN) by removing your card from Apple Pay and then adding it again. Another way would be to use a different card you have in Apple Pay because, unlike Google Wallet, each card you have stored in Apple Pay gets its own DAN when you add it to Apple Pay.

The DAN should not be confused with the dynamic cryptogram that makes EMV and Apple Pay secure from counterfeit fraud.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
Someone pointed out that if you use Apple Pay, you won't benefit from the daily cap as you would with an Oyster or a contactless card.
You do. The card number is static on the device, the cap works the same as with a card.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EasyD
Any recommendations on an ApplePay supporting, no FTF, no annual fee, MasterCard to get?
Capital one quick silver. 1.5% cashback, no AF, no FTF. Cons: Cap1 has industry worst risk assessment capabilty. Good deal for subprime borrower, but CL will be low for HNW/HIG borrower, compared to their other cards. My Cap one limit is less than half of each of my top 2 credit card limits. This is in spite of a having multiples of my Cap1 credit limit. Cap1's left hand does not know what the right hand is doing or even if it exists. Latley, they have been giving higher credit limits to everyone, again due to poor risk assessment. Their login system is a mess if you have more than one of their product's and multiple Operating systems like laptop, ipad etc.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Jawbone came out with a cheaper alternative to the Apple Watch and iPhone for payments: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/16/j...=rss_truncated

AmEx only though and I'm not sure it supports the Underground, but judging by how Apple Pay apparently doesn't when using AmEx I don't have high hopes for this one.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, okay I guess I'll try it on this upcoming trip.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by upnorth
Capital one quick silver. 1.5% cashback, no AF, no FTF. Cons: Cap1 has industry worst risk assessment capabilty. Good deal for subprime borrower, but CL will be low for HNW/HIG borrower, compared to their other cards. My Cap one limit is less than half of each of my top 2 credit card limits. This is in spite of a having multiples of my Cap1 credit limit. Cap1's left hand does not know what the right hand is doing or even if it exists. Latley, they have been giving higher credit limits to everyone, again due to poor risk assessment. Their login system is a mess if you have more than one of their product's and multiple Operating systems like laptop, ipad etc.
QS is a Visa.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
QS is a Visa.
Indeed, though Quicksilver One is a MasterCard.

As an aside, I noticed that Capital One has updated the card graphics on the card comparison page now to include the EMV chip on Quicksilver and Spark cards, previously they only had the chips in the graphics on the application page.

Also, CapitalOne's branding has the potential to be confusing:

Venture: Annual Fee
Venture One: No Annual Fee
Quicksilver: No Annual Fee
Quicksilver One: Annual Fee
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have info on what exactly Long John Silver's is doing? http://hospitalitytechnology.edgl.co...-Solution99666

Since NFC is involved it seems like they're either doing pay at the table or front counter. I've never been, but if anyone else has: what are they currently doing?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
Anyone have info on what exactly Long John Silver's is doing? http://hospitalitytechnology.edgl.co...-Solution99666

Since NFC is involved it seems like they're either doing pay at the table or front counter. I've never been, but if anyone else has: what are they currently doing?
As far as I recall, they're fast food, pay at counter only? EMV dipping will likely have a CVM waiver, in addition to contactless enabled. Only wish more fast food (food court) places would do the same -- it's one of the most unpleasant signature experiences: hectic, crowded environment and usually cramped counter space.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As far as I recall, they're fast food, pay at counter only? EMV dipping will likely have a CVM waiver, in addition to contactless enabled. Only wish more fast food (food court) places would do the same -- it's one of the most unpleasant signature experiences: hectic, crowded environment and usually cramped counter space.
Heh, I totally missed the mark! For some reason I thought they were sit-down like Red Lobster (wait, is RL fast food too? I don't really eat much seafood.)

Still good that they're not going the CurrentC or some other non-NFC system route though.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Red Lobster has table servers.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw

Currently they take your card and swipe it at the counter on their integrated pos. So it sounds like they will add ISC250's, as KFC has done in some stores and I think some may even have NFC enabled at some KFCs. So NFC and EMV will be tapped/inserted at a customer facing ISC250.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
When was your card issued?
My WF EMV contactless Visa was issued about a year ago.

My companions card was issued about 2 months ago.

Amex worked on same Underground barrier sensor that gave a red light to the WF contactless.

Not that you would want to incur the 3% FX fee for the WF for general spending (I did not -- used a Chase Hyatt mostly).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbarm
My WF EMV contactless Visa was issued about a year ago.

My companions card was issued about 2 months ago.

Amex worked on same Underground barrier sensor that gave a red light to the WF contactless.

Not that you would want to incur the 3% FX fee for the WF for general spending (I did not -- used a Chase Hyatt mostly).
Have you every used the WF card for a chip and signature transaction before?

Before EMV contactless works, at least one contact EMV transaction has to have taken place.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Have you every used the WF card for a chip and signature transaction before?

Before EMV contactless works, at least one contact EMV transaction has to have taken place.
My WF contactless debit card is swipe-only (no chip); the Paywave credit card I have EMV'ed once at Wal Mart to test the chip (sig waived). Are you saying that my non-EMV debit card would likely not work in Britain as contactless?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.