Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
And to my understanding, MSD will soon be (if not already) no longer supported for Visa. So businesses will basically have no choice but to get certified for EMV contactless if they want to accept Apple Pay.

Honestly, they should have made the requirements such that going semi-integrated would be a lot less hassle.
Yup, as of 1 April 2016 in the US, all contactless terminals must support EMV contactless.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
Yup, as of 1 April 2016 in the US, all contactless terminals must support EMV contactless.
I'll believe that when I see it!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by D582
Accepting MSD contactless is essentially like 'flipping a switch'. EMV contactless requires additional certification, especially considering the level of integration US merchants have with their terminals.
If they're already certified for EMV chip, is additional certification needed for EMV contactless?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by t325
If they're already certified for EMV chip, is additional certification needed for EMV contactless?
Yes. Each network has to be certified for contactless as well. Thats why sometimes a machine won't work with one type of card for contactless.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Yes. Each network has to be certified for contactless as well. Thats why sometimes a machine won't work with one type of card for contactless.
What I want to know is what Visa and Mastercard have done differently from American Express that so many places refuse to set up their terminals for Amex contactless...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
What I want to know is what Visa and Mastercard have done differently from American Express that so many places refuse to set up their terminals for Amex contactless...
It's not really in the merchant banks interest to support Amex, they don't earn any money of those transactions.

I don't think much is different in the standards themselves.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought it was always that Amex charges a higher fee to merchants.

It's positioned as a more exclusive card, or was when it came out.

But many merchants are unwilling to pay higher fees for Amex.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I thought it was always that Amex charges a higher fee to merchants.

It's positioned as a more exclusive card, or was when it came out.

But many merchants are unwilling to pay higher fees for Amex.
One, the real fees aren't much different (take out debit cards).

Two, that does nothing to explain the massive number of merchants who take Amex and take Visa/MC contactless but do not take Amex contactless. Yes I can see merchant banks playing a role but I'm surprised merchants - and Amex - don't demand parity. Even large merchants like Starbucks and Superdrug.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Probably a mistake.
You are correct they only had iSC250's without NFC turned on. But I did see a Target with self checkout machines.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
But I did see a Target with self checkout machines.
At least one of the Target stores in San Diego has self checkout, and I've used it. Last time I was there was before that store had turned on EMV though (they had the signs at the self checkout machine but nothing happened when I inserted the card).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:16 pm

Samsung Pay is working now! Citibank should be supported on launch day according to the rep I spoke to. If I try and add my Citibank debit card now, I am brought to the terms and conditions diction screen for Citibank, so I know support is coming, but I can't add the card past that yet. BofA works perfectly.

Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:24 pm

Samsung Pay is working now! Citibank should be supported on launch day according to the rep I spoke to. If I try and add my Citibank debit card now, I am brought to the terms and conditions diction screen for Citibank, so I know support is coming, but I can't add the card past that yet. BofA works perfectly.

I'm quite curious if the NFC part of Samsung Pay supports EMV or not. Also yesterday I visited a Savers Thrift Store and they had like an FD100Ti with an FD35 pinpad, I used Google Wallet to pay and the merchant copy said no signature required, that is first time I've seen that for Google Wallet, it has always printed a signature slip with FD equipment because GW uses MSD.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm quite curious if the NFC part of Samsung Pay supports EMV or not. Also yesterday I visited a Savers Thrift Store and they had like an FD100Ti with an FD35 pinpad, I used Google Wallet to pay and the merchant copy said no signature required, that is first time I've seen that for Google Wallet, it has always printed a signature slip with FD equipment because GW uses MSD.
Maybe they enabled VEPS/QPS for swipe/insertion and that carried over to MSD?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:57 pm

It does. The MST part just sends the track 2 data to all tracks. The NFC part is just like Apple Pay where Mastercard supports full EMV and MSD, but Visa only supports EMV so just like Apple Pay, SP Visa can't be used at Jack In the Box or anywhere else that uses the older MSD only terminals. This includes the old Vivopay 4000 (not to be confused with the 4500 and 4800 terminals which are EMV capable).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:51 am

It does. The MST part just sends the track 2 data to all tracks. The NFC part is just like Apple Pay where Mastercard supports full EMV and MSD, but Visa only supports EMV so just like Apple Pay, SP Visa can't be used at Jack In the Box or anywhere else that uses the older MSD only terminals. This includes the old Vivopay 4000 (not to be confused with the 4500 and 4800 terminals which are EMV capable).
I think pressing the button twice on the loop pay fob must do something similar as I got a track 2 error on an mx850 but pressed it again and it worked. That most likely means that Android Pay will be EMV Contactless too! I went to a Jack In The Box on the locator and they had ripped out the vivopay 4000s as there were no contactless readers inside at all but I did not check the drive thru. Anything similar happen to your jitb?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.