Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm a bit confused ... is there a specific indication of supported V/MC CDCVM via Cardpeek? Also, as cards never had to get GW "permissions" before, cards from "participating" issuers will now need to go through that process to be used directly?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I ran into issues trying it on my Nexus 7 because of a previous root that disappeared but never got fully cleaned up. Had to completely wipe it and restore from factory to get Android Pay working.

The good news is that for most of the officially supported issuers, it seems to behave like Apple Pay, both in what it transmits to cardpeek and the behavior on the user side (bank specific T&Cs, having to approve via text/phone call/email, etc.) Those will probably work overseas. Cards that aren't officially supported use the Bancorp virtual MC just like before, so there's no loss in functionality.

The bad news is that they're still using the Bancorp MC. It definitely doesn't have nearly the security verification that officially supported banks do, and likely has the same issues with international acceptance too. This will probably catch someone off guard very quickly if they try to use an unofficial card overseas and didn't read the entire Bancorp T&Cs. AmEx on Android Pay also seems to be forcing MSD/doesn't support CDCVM and has a possibly different AID (A000000025011001/"AmEx") than Apple Pay. Discover strangely uses the Bancorp MC too even though they're officially supported.

Things should improve over time though.
I had to wipe my phone, but it really needed to be wiped so it was good for the device. Here is the term that mentions not supporting non-USD transactions: "(h) The Android Pay Virtual Card and Google Wallet Online Cards may only be used for U.S. dollar transactions within the U.S. and do not support payments in foreign currencies." Good thing that banks that support it are both EMV Contactless enabled and support transactions out of the country. Google must be waiting for September 16th so that Discovery is onboard as well. As strange as the virtual card is MSD only it actually reads more easily than Google Wallet. which refused to register any data at all.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

The bad news is that they're still using the Bancorp MC. It definitely doesn't have nearly the security verification that officially supported banks do, and likely has the same issues with international acceptance too. This will probably catch someone off guard very quickly if they try to use an unofficial card overseas and didn't read the entire Bancorp T&Cs. AmEx on Android Pay also seems to be forcing MSD/doesn't support CDCVM and has a possibly different AID (A000000025011001/"AmEx") than Apple Pay. Discover strangely uses the Bancorp MC too even though they're officially supported.

Things should improve over time though.
Some UK Amex Apple Pay cards are now showing up in the same way (Although with a different AID (Labeled AmEx Mobile)). Its probably to do with a lot of the issues Amex Apple Pay cards have outside of the US (Even on terminals that support EMV Amex Contactless).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:00 am

Cards that aren't officially supported use the Bancorp virtual MC just like before, so there's no loss in functionality.

The bad news is that they're still using the Bancorp MC. It definitely doesn't have nearly the security verification that officially supported banks do, and likely has the same issues with international acceptance too.
There is no difference between Google Wallet and Android Pay in that regard. All the existing cards you had in Google Wallet have been grandfathered and use the old proxy MC debit card method. Grandfathered cards are the only ones that use this method. If you try to add an unsupported card (for example Chase) that wasn't in your Google Wallet before the upgrade to Android Pay, it will be rejected. This will sort itself out over time, as more banks are onboard officially.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

So I went to this market with NFC since like 2012 with Equinox L5300's and they have always made me sign for Google Wallet, but with Android Pay no signature asked for at all, even pressed credit, was way faster now, totally awesome. ^^ I'm still using the bancorp virtual card still as no bank support yet.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm a bit confused ... is there a specific indication of supported V/MC CDCVM via Cardpeek? Also, as cards never had to get GW "permissions" before, cards from "participating" issuers will now need to go through that process to be used directly?
It depends on the card type. There's no single EMV contactless standard, unlike with contact EMV. I don't remember offhand the exact tags that contain that info.

Originally Posted by scibot
I had to wipe my phone, but it really needed to be wiped so it was good for the device. Here is the term that mentions not supporting non-USD transactions: "(h) The Android Pay Virtual Card and Google Wallet Online Cards may only be used for U.S. dollar transactions within the U.S. and do not support payments in foreign currencies." Good thing that banks that support it are both EMV Contactless enabled and support transactions out of the country. Google must be waiting for September 16th so that Discovery is onboard as well. As strange as the virtual card is MSD only it actually reads more easily than Google Wallet. which refused to register any data at all.
I know it says "within the US" but I wonder if they'd allow DCC transactions (if they were possible over NFC).
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:12 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...get_apple_pay/ I thought I'd post this, although I'm not surprised as Safeway is well owned by Albertsons.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Good news about Safeway.

Had a weird experience at Trader Joes. I pull out the iPhone and it defaults to Chase Freedom but I switch cards and then while trying to hold down the Touch ID, the clerk tells me it's already gone through and the POS is prompting me to select type of payment.

So I pick credit and it's done. It didn't even check mark the Touch ID icon.

After I leave the store, I get notification from the Chase app. and it did use the Chase Freedom card.

I didn't even attempt to authenticate the fingerprint until I had changed from Chase Freedom.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
Good news about Safeway.

Had a weird experience at Trader Joes. I pull out the iPhone and it defaults to Chase Freedom but I switch cards and then while trying to hold down the Touch ID, the clerk tells me it's already gone through and the POS is prompting me to select type of payment.

So I pick credit and it's done. It didn't even check mark the Touch ID icon.

After I leave the store, I get notification from the Chase app. and it did use the Chase Freedom card.

I didn't even attempt to authenticate the fingerprint until I had changed from Chase Freedom.
Under $50, no CVM trumped device CVM? (just a thought)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...get_apple_pay/ I thought I'd post this, although I'm not surprised as Safeway is well owned by Albertsons.
My local Safeway is still using the old MX860s, I am wondering when we will see the upgraded terminals at my Safeway. The clock is ticking lol.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They will most likely get the MX915s to align with Albertsons.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
They will most likely get the MX915s to align with Albertsons.
My local Safeway has the MX915's that say "Swipe/Insert" card but the chip slot and NFC are disabled.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
My local Safeway has the MX915's that say "Swipe/Insert" card but the chip slot and NFC are disabled.
Can you get a picture of it? I've been going into Safeway looking for this message even but mine just says Slide Payment Card on an Mx860
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:06 pm

I just heard Spring 2016 for Apple Pay(That isn't coming soon at all!) and maybe EMV at Best Buy because they are having so many issues with their new pos, as its quite buggy and they aren't changing out the old ibm registers either for some dumb reason. Unless they left emv on at some stores. Still I'd have to say that Best Buy is quite stupid for a tech store...
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I just heard Spring 2016 for Apple Pay(That isn't coming soon at all!) and maybe EMV at Best Buy because they are having so many issues with their new pos, as its quite buggy and they aren't changing out the old ibm registers either for some dumb reason. Unless they left emv on at some stores. Still I'd have to say that Best Buy is quite stupid for a tech store...
Considering that BB and others had five years to implement EMV and basically chose to put all their bets on the liability shift being delayed or cancelled altogether, I don't feel too much sympathy for them.

That said, I don't think EMV will be that delayed. NFC might though, especially if they want to route debit NFC transactions over debit whenever possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.