Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Now I've heard Best Buy is launching Apple Pay tomorrow, I swear this company makes no sense. I am still quite a bit skeptical about that now as I should be.
I'm wondering if that means EMV tomorrow too. I'm excited to go try it out and see.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:49 pm

Which matches the training that Best Buy employees got, so it should be finished by early October, but more and more stores will get it as time goes on so it will be quite hard to tell when your local stores have it or not. Corp is saying tomorrow for a launch of Contactless payment, so if its not on tomorrow it really will be on soon. I'm glad its coming soon than I thought it would be. ^
Its active already at my store! The lights on the screen are on, there is no other indication of it on anywhere at all. The odd thing is that EMV has been turned off. It was working, not it's not and NFC runs in MSD mode. Though PIN routing works with both Apple and Android Pay and the people were very surprised to see it work! Just tap your phone to the bottom left corner of the terminal. Video coming soon!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Its active already at my store! The lights on the screen are on, there is no other indication of it on anywhere at all. The odd thing is that EMV has been turned off. It was working, not it's not and NFC runs in MSD mode. Though PIN routing works with both Apple and Android Pay and the people were very surprised to see it work! Just tap your phone to the bottom left corner of the terminal. Video coming soon!
No Contactless logo in that part of the iSC480?

Last edited by scibot; Sep 16, 2015 at 6:57 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The LCD has green bubbles like what Verifone shows at some stores? Or are the lights elsewhere?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:06 pm

No Contactless logo in that part of the iSC480?
Originally Posted by tmiw
The LCD has green bubbles like what Verifone shows at some stores? Or are the lights elsewhere?
There is no logo, and the lights are at the very top, they are very small and look like little rectangles.

Last edited by mrcobra92; Sep 16, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:28 pm

They're probably seeing Apple Pay as more of a priority than EMV, and thus are getting it working then worrying about EMV later.

I think there is a huge pushback against EMV in the US, to be honest. It's going to be a rocky few months but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see some large merchants just refuse to play along.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
They're probably seeing Apple Pay as more of a priority than EMV, and thus are getting it working then worrying about EMV later.

I think there is a huge pushback against EMV in the US, to be honest. It's going to be a rocky few months but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see some large merchants just refuse to play along.
According to their training it says both NFC and EMV will be enabled at all stores by early October, but as far as I know they were having stability issues with EMV support, so them turning it off does not surprise me. Also the iSC480's without the Contactless logo must have the nfc coil under there anyways. ^
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:53 pm

According to their training it says both NFC and EMV will be enabled at all stores by early October, but as far as I know they were having stability issues with EMV support, so them turning it off does not surprise me. Also the iSC480's without the Contactless logo must have the nfc coil under there anyways. ^
Looks like it! I care more about NFC than EMV anyway so this is great news as far as I'm concerned.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
This is semi-related, but one of my local banks (Salem Five) just launched a "cardless ATM." The user just has to sign in to the bank's app, tell it that he/she wants to use an ATM, then select what they want to do beforehand. Then, when he/she walks up to the ATM, the ATM displays a QR code for the app to scan. After it's scanned, the ATM will perform the pre-requested task, and receipts can be printed at the ATM or emailed.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Its just something I found on twitter so I'm not sure if EMV is on or not. You should try it tomorrow, as I will also try it tomorrow if I can.
Yep, NFC's on at mine too (and EMV's off):

Originally Posted by AllieKat

Considering the stuff coming on the market now, some retailers might be concluding that EMV is a waste of time, or at least can be prioritized lower. MSD contactless (Apple Pay, Android Pay) is basically flipping a switch, while Samsung Pay doesn't even need retailers to upgrade their equipment. All three use tokenization.

IMO unlike elsewhere the major card brands will probably have to mandate contact EMV in the US (as in, you can't run cards period if you don't support it) or just accept that we'll never get to 100% adoption and put most of the effort towards contactless instead. Hopefully that won't be necessary though.

Looks like it! I care more about NFC than EMV anyway so this is great news as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know if that's good news, really. There are IIRC some known replay vulnerabilities with MSD contactless and it's also supposed to go away altogether for Visa early next year. Tokenization and/or P2PE might mitigate those somewhat, however.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:03 pm

Best Buy Video!

Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is Target suppose to support Apple Pay?

At least my local one, was able to use EMV for the first time.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Is Target suppose to support Apple Pay?

At least my local one, was able to use EMV for the first time.
No. They've said they'll consider it. That's all. The hardware supports it though.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Android Pay and Samsung Pay on the same phone

Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere, but I wanted to clarify whether having both apps would cause an NFC tapping conflict?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere, but I wanted to clarify whether having both apps would cause an NFC tapping conflict?
No because Samsung Pay won't launch when tapped. So just choose Android Pay as the default but use for ground app selected. The if you need AP, just tap, for SP, just bring it up as normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.