Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
What do you mean "real"? The communications protocol for MSD and EMV is the same, the difference is in the data. Apple Pay, etc can be used to construct an MSD transaction. Yes, some terminals get confused, certainly, but there's nothing different about the communications protocol, other than the whole stack of extra data an EMV card offers.
No there is a difference. Older terminals that are not EMV capable at all can't read a card that can only construct an MSD transaction over EMV communication. There is a difference in how the terminal and card talk to each other.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
No there is a difference. Older terminals that are not EMV capable at all can't read a card that can only construct an MSD transaction over EMV communication. There is a difference in how the terminal and card talk to each other.
Don't the older cards use something other than 13.56MHz for communication too? I was never able to read my old Discover contactless card with the stuff that I have access to, for instance.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Don't the older cards use something other than 13.56MHz for communication too? I was never able to read my old Discover contactless card with the stuff that I have access to, for instance.
Yup!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
UK Apple pay cards don't work in Apple Store either.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
No, it's the exact same communications protocol as far as I am aware... not sure what's going on with your Discover card, tho.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:31 pm

Video of Android Pay!

Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of that video, I don't think I can support Samsung Pay.

MST makes for a better customer experience in the short term. However, it also keeps a technology alive that should arguably have died a decade ago. Already, most places aren't bothering to enable NFC along with EMV. They might later on, but some might also get swayed by the promise of "we don't have to do anything to support Samsung Pay" and just never bother enabling NFC. In the worst case, Samsung Pay could even significantly delay the adoption of EMV by reducing fraud losses from merchants who didn't bother to upgrade their terminals.

I don't know how likely either of those possibilities are, but I'd rather people focused on getting NFC working than keeping a crutch alive indefinitely.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
No, it's the exact same communications protocol as far as I am aware... not sure what's going on with your Discover card, tho.
Isn't Google Wallet similar? Can't capture the card data either?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:12 pm

I was just at a Duane Reed (Walgreens.) I've tried contactless before at Duane Reed and Walgreen stores with an Amex, but with no success. My purple contactless SPG Amex worked on the first try!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I was just at a Duane Reed (Walgreens.) I've tried contactless before at Duane Reed and Walgreen stores with an Amex, but with no success. My purple contactless SPG Amex worked on the first try!
Yup! That was one of the fixes in Equinox's latest OS.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:25 am

If you want Android Pay and are rooted it will give you this message: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4-22-28-41.png I unrooted and set it up with any issuses, but it requires you to setup a lock on your lockscreen or it threatens to remove your cards, damn talk about being very strict. I will be trying Android Pay this morning probably at Mcds.

Last edited by scibot; Sep 6, 2015 at 1:35 am
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Android Pay stores cards in secure element or uploads to Google servers?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Isn't Google Wallet similar? Can't capture the card data either?
No, I've had no problem at all reading Google Wallet on a contactless card reader. Of course, since it's magstripe mode, it's missing a bunch of data - but it's data I'd expect to be missing. I'm reading the documentation and I can't find anything that suggests either another frequency (that I'm sure is wrong), OR another protocol. Just different data available. But, that SHOULDN'T prevent a magstripe mode transaction from occurring. What I think it is, is some incredibly poorly programmed terminals get confused.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Android Pay stores cards in secure element or uploads to Google servers?
Partly stores at the phone memory (not secure element) and partly uploads to the issuer servers.
Look for Google HCE and MasterCard Cloud Based Payments specifications.

Last edited by Lyolik; Sep 6, 2015 at 4:15 am
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:10 am

Tried Android Pay at a Sinclair gas station in a village of 223, which has a Verifone MX915 and no emv update until late October according to the owner, it declined on both credit and debit, maybe it was trying to do emv on a system with out emv? Of course Mcds worked fine. ^ If the card it sends via nfc has an AID of A0000000041010 that means that its emv contactless card correct?

Last edited by scibot; Sep 6, 2015 at 8:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.