Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Best Buy hasn't turned on EMV or NFC yet as of today. Neither has Vons/Safeway. Wasn't the former supposed to turn on at least NFC this month?
They are turning on EMV and NFC at the same time I believe. So most likely, it will be within the next few weeks.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

Best Buy hasn't turned on EMV or NFC yet as of today. Neither has Vons/Safeway. Wasn't the former supposed to turn on at least NFC this month?
I have no idea what Best Buy is doing, but it seems they delayed it, and I hope they will just enable EMV & NFC at the same time. They have not changed their minds on supporting it, as they got word that they will be supporting both Samsung Pay and Android Pay. All I can find about the time table online is later in 2015 which should mean Fall 2015, so hopefully in the next month they turn them both on.
Also does your Vons/Safeway have MX915's or no?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Also does your Vons/Safeway have MX915's or no?
Yep. That was pretty recent, but the Vons was showing "insert or swipe" on the screen for a bit.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:04 pm

Yep. That was pretty recent, but the Vons was showing "insert or swipe" on the screen for a bit.
Apple Pay doesn't do anything there or it declines like Dollar Tree?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
My WF debit had that international icon on it before it was converted to chip. Apple should have never came out with that stupid Apple Pay logo, and just left it the regular contactless card logo.
Or they could have atleast made the logo mean something. In the UK most terminals are still restricted to £20 even for Apple Pay (Although this is expected to change next month when terminals are updated to support On device CVM, the same time as the limit is upped to £30). The Apple pay logo could have atleast meant that the retailer supports all value transactions.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple Pay doesn't do anything there or it declines like Dollar Tree?
I tried once while the cashier was ringing stuff up and the phone didn't detect any sort of NFC field. I'll have to find a location with MX915s and self-checkouts (or try again at my local one once everything's rung up, but it tends to be busy regardless of the time of day so I don't want to hold people up behind me trying).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:49 pm

I tried once while the cashier was ringing stuff up and the phone didn't detect any sort of NFC field. I'll have to find a location with MX915s and self-checkouts (or try again at my local one once everything's rung up, but it tends to be busy regardless of the time of day so I don't want to hold people up behind me trying).
Wouldn't that be like Big 5 Sporting Goods and their Verifone MX915's? Also the Verifone VX805 pinpads at Jimmy Johns: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0824151351.jpg
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't that be like Big 5 Sporting Goods and their Verifone MX915's? Also the Verifone VX805 pinpads at Jimmy Johns: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0824151351.jpg
Vons lets you swipe while they're still ringing up stuff. Considering it only says "insert or swipe" on the screen (ironically while being swipe only) I don't think they're going to enable NFC initially. But who knows?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:28 pm

Vons lets you swipe while they're still ringing up stuff. Considering it only says "insert or swipe" on the screen (ironically while being swipe only) I don't think they're going to enable NFC initially. But who knows?
What happens if you try to insert? That prompting makes me think the terminal is setup to allow SOMETHING to be inserted (maybe only food stamps).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllieKat
What happens if you try to insert? That prompting makes me think the terminal is setup to allow SOMETHING to be inserted (maybe only food stamps).
One of the ones I went to said insert or swipe and it didn't even have a chip slot!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The slot wasn't lit up so I didn't try. It might be something worthwhile to try though.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
One of the ones I went to said insert or swipe and it didn't even have a chip slot!
Yay for idiots writing the prompting
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:07 pm

Nothing at all. It just sits there.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:07 pm

Google did something to the map feature on Google Wallet, it used to show the locations of most of transactions in Google Wallet, but today almost all the places no longer show that. So I'm sure Android Pay is coming really soon.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw those at a Cenex and NFC was enabled, but the cashier said EMV was not enabled yet as people try it and it does nothing. Plus it did say to tap on the screen with the green indicator was on. From what I've heard MX915's is what Chevrons in Las Vegas have while some stores use the old MX800 series terminals. What did this Chevron have before the iSC250's?
I have no idea. I presume it was MX800 series like all the others that I've been to but this was the first time I ever went inside for this particular one. For what it's worth it's on the MasterCard map.
Update: I went back to that location today and the iSC250 didn't have any green lights lit. I couldn't test because my purchase was once again below the $5 minimum but either it's not turned on at all or the clerk has to do something to turn it on (which is weird because it said "please swipe" the entire time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.