Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by PKCorey
Our local Dollar Tree updated to the MX915's but I didn't see NFC logo on the screen so I didn't even try it.
Many places Simply say "Please Slide Card" but contactless still works, worst case it declines like Jersey Mike's Subs or does nothing at all, but I'm pretty sure it is enabled there.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Stopped by my local Pan-Asian food court to grab a very late lunch. Thai place had a First Data terminal, so I asked if they took Apple Pay, contactless, to which the clerk said they did. Unfortunately, up came a signature slip after I tapped my WF card. Receipt said "Contactless - online" so I suppose they're refusing any CVM waiver to get folks to leave tips. Next time, perhaps I'll have them insert my UN card? (She had swiveled the device to face me.)

Most of the other joints seemed to have First Data terminals as well. One had Verifone units touting Ready Pay with the chip slots lit up.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Stopped by my local Pan-Asian food court to grab a very late lunch. Thai place had a First Data terminal, so I asked if they took Apple Pay, contactless, to which the clerk said they did. Unfortunately, up came a signature slip after I tapped my WF card. Receipt said "Contactless - online" so I suppose they're refusing any CVM waiver to get folks to leave tips. Next time, perhaps I'll have them insert my UN card? (She had swiveled the device to face me.)

Most of the other joints seemed to have First Data terminals as well. One had Verifone units touting Ready Pay with the chip slots lit up.
Was there any AID on the receipt?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
Was there any AID on the receipt?
Not on my copy, no.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not on my copy, no.
It probably got treated as MSD contactless, which may have different rules on FD terminals. I think there's a no CVM limit above $0 for EMV contactless, but so far I haven't been able to confirm either way when using Apple Pay.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:16 pm

I believe Walgreens and Staples are close to an EMV rollout, especially Walgreens. Equinox has just gotten their payment terminals outfitted with a new OS (you can't see the difference unless you can get into the backend) that has the new EMV kernels that enable the chip slot and EMV processing. I have a few of these terminals and an account with Equinox and just downloaded the latest version a few days ago that was just posted. I have been able to run sudo-contactless EMV transactions with Apple Pay and regular contact cards as well (I am able to see the transaction amount in passbook immediately for example). All the retailer has to do now is load their forms and an EMV configuration file to their terminals, and if they're running a semi-integrated setup, it is already approved and ready to go. If it's a fully integrated setup, then all that;s left to do is certify the computer itself which is most likely done already. So expect to see Walgreens and Staples and possibly Sears as well up and running soon! Maybe even NFC for Sears? Who knows!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:34 pm

Maybe when Walgreens is training their employees on EMV, they can retrain their employe s on Apple Pay. Every time I use it there, the cashier looks at me like I have two heads even though they were a launch partner and have supported it for 10 months.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Maybe when Walgreens is training their employees on EMV, they can retrain their employe s on Apple Pay. Every time I use it there, the cashier looks at me like I have two heads even though they were a launch partner and have supported it for 10 months.
Yeah, that would be nice. In my area, Apple Pay is very very popular. The cashiers at our stores say they see a ton of people using it and are very familiar with it. Though a refresh could be good for some stores.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tapped my AmEx contactless card at Jersey Mike's tonight and it surprisingly worked. So in summary:

• Diners Club (MSD contactless only): worked
  • AmEx BCE (EMV + MSD contactless): worked
  • Apple Pay (various cards?): doesn't work

It's probably something with AP specifically then. If it's actually the fact that there's no fake name sent, that seems like something they could have fixed quickly considering they seem to support MSD fine. Are they just waiting to turn on EMV to do that?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:21 pm

Tapped my AmEx contactless card at Jersey Mike's tonight and it surprisingly worked. So in summary:

• Diners Club (MSD contactless only): worked
  • AmEx BCE (EMV + MSD contactless): worked
  • Apple Pay (various cards?): doesn't work

It's probably something with AP specifically then. If it's actually the fact that there's no fake name sent, that seems like something they could have fixed quickly considering they seem to support MSD fine. Are they just waiting to turn on EMV to do that?
Apple Pay has it's own problems beyond the fake name. Google Wallet doesn't send a fake name either and it works at places like Jersey Mikes and the Dollar Tree where Apple Pay does not.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably got treated as MSD contactless, which may have different rules on FD terminals. I think there's a no CVM limit above $0 for EMV contactless, but so far I haven't been able to confirm either way when using Apple Pay.
FWIW, my contactless WF Visa has a chip (and offline PIN for unattended transactions). Is that the same as the term "EMV Contactless"? We have one local merchant who has NFC enabled, but specifically refuses any CMV waiver, period. Happens.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Maybe it's some setting in the register.

I am a bookkeeper at a retail location at my company. We have MX915s. We accept Apple Pay and other NFC payments (I know for sure that Google Wallet works).

When customers pay with a credit card, the register prompts for a signature verification, and displays the name, last 4 digits, and expiration date (data is all received from the magstrip). When a customer pays with Apple Pay, the name line is blank. (we're instructed to just approve all signatures for Apple Pay/NFC payments without checking). However, when a debit card is run as credit, the name is often blank too (perhaps debit cards do not have the name encoded on the magstrip?)

Next month, the registers are receiving a software update. Nothing on NFC/EMV though. I'm assuming there will be another update to enable the chip reader on the MX915 pin pads around the time of the changeover.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, my contactless WF Visa has a chip (and offline PIN for unattended transactions). Is that the same as the term "EMV Contactless"? We have one local merchant who has NFC enabled, but specifically refuses any CMV waiver, period. Happens.
The best way to be sure is by using cardpeek with a NFC reader, but it's probably safe to assume that it supports EMV contactless if you see a AID on the receipt after tapping.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:12 am

FWIW, my contactless WF Visa has a chip (and offline PIN for unattended transactions). Is that the same as the term "EMV Contactless"?
I have a WF Visa as well with EMV Chip. It supports EMV contactless well; one time I used it in contactless mode at a place where I'd also used contact EMV, and it showed an AID on the receipt both times.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I have a WF Visa as well with EMV Chip. It supports EMV contactless well; one time I used it in contactless mode at a place where I'd also used contact EMV, and it showed an AID on the receipt both times.
Thanks. There seem to be merchants who just don't allow CMV waiver on contactless, which kind of defeats the point to me. This clerk was sliding magstripes through the older restaurant-style POS, but as I saw the First Data terminal on the counter, I thought I'd try to get her to let me tap my card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.