Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Here's an article I saw today about Apple Pay's issues with AmEx in the UK: http://contactless.life/2015/08/03/a...ress-disaster/. Sounds like it's a really huge problem over there. (In a bit of irony, Apple Pay with AmEx works a lot better in the US than the contactless BCE card that I have.)
Yeah it has been.

I have two theories as to whats causing the issue.

Apple Pay uses a different AID on its Amex cards, to regular plastic Amex cards and some Ingenico (The issue where plastic Amex cards work but Apple pay Amex doesn't is exclusively on the one ingenico terminal and even then it will work on one terminal in the same store but not another one) terminals are having trouble with this. I know some terminals in the past had trouble with Lloyds Bank Amex cards because they use a different AID to regular Amex cards and they reacted in the same way to AP Amex.

The other theory is its something to do with the phone/virtual card deciding if it should be using EMV or MSD contactless and its unable to negotiate which method to use and it uses the wrong one (Hence the phone saying done, and the terminal doing nothing at all). I've noticed on one or two receipts, its showing as its processed like a swiped card, whereas using my UK Amex via contactless it processes as EMV contactless.

To make matters worse, one of the acquirers Elavon doesn't even support Amex contactless at all and won't until early 2016. Many large retailers that have recently started to take Amex in the UK like Poundland, The Range (The chip doesn't even work here, you have to swipe!) and H&M also don't support Amex contactless and probably won't until their terminals are replaced in 3 or 4 years.

http://contactless.life/retailers/ shows how many UK retailers don't accept Amex via contactless at all! Its a very poor customer experience and Amex are missing their deadline on responding to complaints.

On a very positive note, since Apple Pay released in the UK, I've been walletless the majority of the time. No where I go day to day, doesn't accept Apple Pay (although Amex has been getting less of my spend because of their issues).

Last edited by reclusive46; Aug 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Yeah it has been.

I have two theories as to whats causing the issue.

Apple Pay uses a different AID on its Amex cards, to regular plastic Amex cards and some Ingenico (The issue where plastic Amex cards work but Apple pay Amex doesn't is exclusively on the one ingenico terminal and even then it will work on one terminal in the same store but not another one) terminals are having trouble with this. I know some terminals in the past had trouble with Lloyds Bank Amex cards because they use a different AID to regular Amex cards and they reacted in the same way to AP Amex.

The other theory is its something to do with the phone/virtual card deciding if it should be using EMV or MSD contactless and its unable to negotiate which method to use and it uses the wrong one (Hence the phone saying done, and the terminal doing nothing at all). I've noticed on one or two receipts, its showing as its processed like a swiped card, whereas using my UK Amex via contactless it processes as EMV contactless.

To make matters worse, one of the acquirers Elavon doesn't even support Amex contactless at all and won't until early 2016. Many large retailers that have recently started to take Amex in the UK like Poundland, The Range (The chip doesn't even work here, you have to swipe!) and H&M also don't support Amex contactless and probably won't until their terminals are replaced in 3 or 4 years.

http://contactless.life/retailers/ shows how many UK retailers don't accept Amex via contactless at all! Its a very poor customer experience and Amex are missing their deadline on responding to complaints.

On a very positive note, since Apple Pay released in the UK, I've been walletless the majority of the time. No where I go day to day, doesn't accept Apple Pay (although Amex has been getting less of my spend because of their issues).
Speaking of AmEx, I upgraded my iPhone to the 9.0 beta tonight to see if there were any differences compared to 8.4. AIP is still 1800 but I did notice some other stuff:

1. There is a new tag I don't remember seeing before in processing options (9F71). This is apparently "Mobile CVM Results". On my phone it has the value of 010302 ('Mobile CVM Performed', 'Terminal Required CVM' and 'Mobile CVM Successful' respectively).
2. There is also a 9F70 tag ("Card Interface and Payment Capabilities"), which is also 1800. This seems to correspond to "Contactless EMV Interface Supported" and "Mobile Interface Supported".

The strange thing is that the CVM list still doesn't show plaintext PIN like the specs would indicate, even though it's obviously doing some of the mobile device CVM stuff.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:16 pm

I was able to use Googe Wallet at Dollar Tree today, so the ones with the MX915s have it on, but will Apple Pay work, I can't check that. IKEA has their MX915 in swipe only mode though and no EMV either. Some Conoco station I visited has one MX915 with NFC and one MX870 without emv or nfc, looked like it was hooked into a Verifone Ruby super system, never seen that before. Pei Wei has the Verifone VX820 with NFC enabled and Steak N Shake has stands for the MX915 and MX925 so that is what they are getting soon(will post pics of the stand soon) I wonder if they will do Apple Pay soon?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by scibot
I was able to use Googe Wallet at Dollar Tree today, so the ones with the MX915s have it on, but will Apple Pay work, I can't check that. IKEA has their MX915 in swipe only mode though and no EMV either. Some Conoco station I visited has one MX915 with NFC and one MX870 without emv or nfc, looked like it was hooked into a Verifone Ruby super system, never seen that before. Pei Wei has the Verifone VX820 with NFC enabled and Steak N Shake has stands for the MX915 and MX925 so that is what they are getting soon(will post pics of the stand soon) I wonder if they will do Apple Pay soon?
Though they haven't been added to the Apple Pay website yet, Pei Wei now supports Apple Pay at all their locations as of August 4.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150805005295/en
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Just tried Apple Pay at Kinkos/FedEx office. No logo, but lights showed up at the top of the iSC350. The register immediately said "Do not Honor Card". I tried my contactless debit card and that worked perfectly. I'm guessing it was because the register noticed there was no name to the card data, unlike the contactless card which has "NOT SUPPLIED" in the name category. I will try Google Wallet latter and confirm my suspicions. Either way, a good sign! On an odd note, the terminal isn't debit injected. They run entry thing is run as credit.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Chevron is going with iSC250s if the one I was in today was any indication. Didn't try Apple Pay though because I was buying less than this particular location's $5 minimum.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like Chevron is going with iSC250s if the one I was in today was any indication. Didn't try Apple Pay though because I was buying less than this particular location's $5 minimum.
I saw those at a Cenex and NFC was enabled, but the cashier said EMV was not enabled yet as people try it and it does nothing. Plus it did say to tap on the screen with the green indicator was on. From what I've heard MX915's is what Chevrons in Las Vegas have while some stores use the old MX800 series terminals. What did this Chevron have before the iSC250's?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw those at a Cenex and NFC was enabled, but the cashier said EMV was not enabled yet as people try it and it does nothing. Plus it did say to tap on the screen with the green indicator was on. From what I've heard MX915's is what Chevrons in Las Vegas have while some stores use the old MX800 series terminals. What did this Chevron have before the iSC250's?
I have no idea. I presume it was MX800 series like all the others that I've been to but this was the first time I ever went inside for this particular one. For what it's worth it's on the MasterCard map.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:38 pm

Well it appears another (CurrentC member) bites the dust

Apple Pay and Android Pay coming to Rite Aid
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC

This bit makes little sense to me:

American Express is now letting card holders use their cards inside the Apple Pay system.
Amex was one of the launch issuers with Apple Pay; to the point that at least one of Apple's slides showed a virtual Green Amex front and center in Passbook:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/nationa...-opting/nhnMB/

Perhaps Mashable is confused by the recent news that Amex Corporate Cards can now be used with Apple Pay?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC

There can be no forgiveness for what they did disabling contactless to try and hurt Apple to promote the anti-consumer rubbish that is CurrentC. We must still try to boycott these stores to stand up for our rights. Our goal must not be the death of one half-baked data mining scheme, but the death of the companies themselves that promote such a scheme.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
There can be no forgiveness for what they did disabling contactless to try and hurt Apple to promote the anti-consumer rubbish that is CurrentC. We must still try to boycott these stores to stand up for our rights. Our goal must not be the death of one half-baked data mining scheme, but the death of the companies themselves that promote such a scheme.
Is that productive though? If you use Apple/Android Pay at Rite-Aid and elsewhere, they still can't track you without your consent. It's pretty unrealistic to expect businesses to suddenly stop wanting to do so for other payment methods. If anything, places that have working contactless readers should be rewarded with increased business because they easily could have gone the Target route and only done EMV.

That said, Walgreens is still the better pharmacy than CVS or Rite-Aid IMO.

EDIT: speaking of which: http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/12/a...y-for-testing/
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:39 pm

Here is a picture of the stand I saw at Steak N Shake in Centennial, CO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0808152038.jpg I asked one of them and they said it was for the new signature captures. Hopefully NFC as well. I'm also curious if anyone has seen iSC250's with a UI like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0805150328.jpg ? I've seen two other iSC250's with a different ui, but NFC works on them both too, one at Cenex and one at a local liquor store.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Here is a picture of the stand I saw at Steak N Shake in Centennial, CO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0808152038.jpg I asked one of them and they said it was for the new signature captures. Hopefully NFC as well. I'm also curious if anyone has seen iSC250's with a UI like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0805150328.jpg ? I've seen two other iSC250's with a different ui, but NFC works on them both too, one at Cenex and one at a local liquor store.
Saw the same stand at a Steak N Shake in St Louis on Sunday.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also curious if anyone has seen iSC250's with a UI like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0805150328.jpg ? I've seen two other iSC250's with a different ui, but NFC works on them both too, one at Cenex and one at a local liquor store.
HD's UI is similar but uses different colors, IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.