Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Google Wallet. I almost used my DC card there but I already had my phone out and it's kinda nice to have them scan my Walgreens card on it.
Google Wallet normally works well at Walgreen's
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alexmt
Google Wallet normally works well at Walgreen's
Yep. Not sure what happened tonight; maybe I put my phone on there too soon?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:17 am

Yep. Not sure what happened tonight; maybe I put my phone on there too soon?
Maybe, Walgreen's is supposed to enable EMV early next year, which will hopefully fix the Amex issue. I'm not sure when/if Staples will enable EMV.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe, Walgreen's is supposed to enable EMV early next year, which will hopefully fix the Amex issue. I'm not sure when/if Staples will enable EMV.
If it works at, say, McDonalds (which doesn't have any EMV capable terminals at least around here), I'm not sure it's an EMV issue. Do I need a separate RFID reader to read the RFID cards or should the NFC reader that I have work for them?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:42 am

If it works at, say, McDonalds (which doesn't have any EMV capable terminals at least around here), I'm not sure it's an EMV issue. Do I need a separate RFID reader to read the RFID cards or should the NFC reader that I have work for them?
I'm pretty sure not directly an EMV issue, since a magnetic stripe transaction can be constructed from the contactless EMV, as far as I know. However, I also would bet that the update will fix it We'll see.

As for reading RFID, it depends what you mean. Your reader LIKELY only works for NFC (ISO 14443 proximity contactless smart cards), but it may also work for ISO 15693 vicinity contactless cards. If it does, it'll only read them with proximity range. It will NOT likely read any other type of RFID tag.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:43 am

I was searching through Target's @AskTarget account on Twitter. For what it's worth, inquires regarding Apple Pay are getting responses along the lines of "We're working to bring this technology to stores."

https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/530959567652683776
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/532896978087444481
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/530569581119950848
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:38 am

Barring buying an iPhone 6 (can't anyway because I'm still on contract) or switching carriers so I can get Softcard, it looks like there's not really that many options for an actual physical Visa contactless card yet. I'd probably be happy if Andrews or some other small CU added EMV contactless to their cards even, but it looks like most banks and credit unions are going to go the mobile phone route.
When I requested an EMV Visa card from Wells Fargo, the card that came also supported contactless. When I originally signed up for the card, I had a choice of card designs and only one came with contactless, and it wasn't the one I'd chosen (EMV seems to only have the standard design, at least for now). I've only tried the contactless once, at Home Depot this week, and it worked.

So if you want a Visa card with EMV chip and contactless, that's one option.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
When I requested an EMV Visa card from Wells Fargo, the card that came also supported contactless. When I originally signed up for the card, I had a choice of card designs and only one came with contactless, and it wasn't the one I'd chosen (EMV seems to only have the standard design, at least for now). I've only tried the contactless once, at Home Depot this week, and it worked.

So if you want a Visa card with EMV chip and contactless, that's one option.
Good to know. Thinking about it, I'd actually be happy too if the DC card supported EMV contactless and not just MSD contactless. It's incredibly rare for a place to accept only Visa or only MasterCard so as long as I have a Visa or a MC with EMV contactless I'm good.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It's incredibly rare for a place to accept only Visa or only MasterCard so as long as I have a Visa or a MC with EMV contactless I'm good.
Sadly, the Tri-Met transit kiosks in Oregon only allow MC tapping, not Visa! I was considering a trip to Dubai, where it seems that is also true.

Rather than fumbling with my wallet, I keep the card I'm going to use in my shirt pocket, so tapping has proved terrific. I'm impatient for Safeway to go EMV and/or tapping as I often have to swipe more than once; moreover, they have a $50 CMV waiver for sig/pin to kick in.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sadly, the Tri-Met transit kiosks in Oregon only allow MC tapping, not Visa! I was considering a trip to Dubai, where it seems that is also true.

Rather than fumbling with my wallet, I keep the card I'm going to use in my shirt pocket, so tapping has proved terrific. I'm impatient for Safeway to go EMV and/or tapping as I often have to swipe more than once; moreover, they have a $50 CMV waiver for sig/pin to kick in.
The Vons stores around here upgraded their POSes but haven't upgraded the terminals yet. I feel like Safeway is going to finish at the last second.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:05 pm

The Vons stores around here upgraded their POSes but haven't upgraded the terminals yet. I feel like Safeway is going to finish at the last second.
I don't shop at Safeway because their gas station has a credit card surcharge (making it by far the most expensive gas in town, as they're the only ones with this surcharge, and their base price is rarely any cheaper - and definitely not 10 cents - the amount of their surcharge - cheaper). BUT, last time I was in Safeway I believe they did not have EMV-capable terminals. They may or may not upgrade before October 2015. I've heard estimates that around 60% of shops in the US are expected to switch to EMV before the liability shift.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:43 pm

Good to know. Thinking about it, I'd actually be happy too if the DC card supported EMV contactless and not just MSD contactless. It's incredibly rare for a place to accept only Visa or only MasterCard so as long as I have a Visa or a MC with EMV contactless I'm good.
I might not have been clear, but I don't know if the card is EMV or MSD contactless. I know it has the contact EMV chip; does that mean that the contactless is also EMV?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I might not have been clear, but I don't know if the card is EMV or MSD contactless. I know it has the contact EMV chip; does that mean that the contactless is also EMV?
When I scanned my DC card with cardpeek a while back it looked like it was MSD only. I also wasn't asked for PIN and had to sign for the purchase when using it in contactless mode for a purchase over the no CVM limit.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and the Amex works great in contactless mode at Fuddruckers.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
BUT, last time I was in Safeway I believe they did not have EMV-capable terminals.
These days, I look for a chip slot automatically every time I see a POS terminal - my Safeway had them; the store manager is a very friendly guy, but I haven't seen him to talk to in order to ask about whether he's heard anything yet. I'm not optimistic they'll have contactless (PayWave capable) anytime soon though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.