Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:48 pm

I just went to a local Jimmy John's today and they had Verifone VX805 pinpads and Google Wallet worked! I only bought a cookie since it is a test, but I will be back again soon! So if mine has them, then many must have them too. So that means Firehouse Subs, Jersey Mike's Subs, Subway and Jimmy Johns all accept contactless payments! ^^ Some of you should try Apple Pay there as I'm sure it will work as well.
I'd like to add that Big Lots is getting closer to what they are doing, NFC & EMV, a 2nd location has Ethernet Cables hooked to their MX915's which means they are indeed doing a semi-intergrated system for EMV and NFC! I also saw another Mcdonald's with MX915, but it had that weird Honeywell barcode scanner too, so strange, but yeah NFC was enabled.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 21, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
I just went to a local Jimmy John's today and they had Verifone VX805 pinpads and Google Wallet worked! I only bought a cookie since it is a test, but I will be back again soon! So if mine has them, then many must have them too. So that means Firehouse Subs, Jersey Mike's Subs, Subway and Jimmy Johns all accept contactless payments! ^^ Some of you should try Apple Pay there as I'm sure it will work as well.
I'd like to add that Big Lots is getting closer to what they are doing, NFC & EMV, a 2nd location has Ethernet Cables hooked to their MX915's which means they are indeed doing a semi-intergrated system for EMV and NFC! I also saw another Mcdonald's with MX915, but it had that weird Honeywell barcode scanner too, so strange, but yeah NFC was enabled.
I think this is all a nice side effect of EMV, which is awesome.

Also what honey well barcode scanner? At McD's?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I think this is all a nice side effect of EMV, which is awesome.

Also what honey well barcode scanner? At McD's?
https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/...t=HSM&pid=7580 This one and I asked an employee and he had no idea what they are even for. I know someone complained about them turning off nfc while they installed those scanners, but that was probably a mistake on someones part.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by scibot
https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/...t=HSM&pid=7580 This one and I asked an employee and he had no idea what they are even for. I know someone complained about them turning off nfc while they installed those scanners, but that was probably a mistake on someones part.
Maybe they're planning some sort of coupon program as well. That is all I can think of.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Supposedly, Android Pay to launch next Wednesday (Aug. 26), as per leaked internal McDonald's memo. We'll see ...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:12 am

Maybe they're planning some sort of coupon program as well. That is all I can think of.
Nah so this morning I walked into my local Mcdonalds in my city and the employees actually knew about the scanners. They told me that you use them to pay with your phone and they also knew you could still use contactless as well. So it must be some sorta QR/barcode payment system. Apple Pay and Android Pay will still work of course.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Supposedly, Android Pay to launch next Wednesday (Aug. 26), as per leaked internal McDonald's memo. We'll see ...
That is very interesting, I did not expect it so soon. ^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Looks like I now have to go test out Jimmy Johns as well too and see. Too bad their subs give me massive stomach aches so I'll buy a bottle of water.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:37 am

Looks like I now have to go test out Jimmy Johns as well too and see. Too bad their subs give me massive stomach aches so I'll buy a bottle of water.
Why support a really really horrible company by buying overpriced water for your own amusement to see if Apple Pay works at a place with disgusting food owned by an even more disgusting owner?

I'm as much of a one as anyone to go out and try things but that's a step too far this is my friendly intervention to say think about what you're doing ^_^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
This separate mobile payment branding (with ultimately the same technology underneath) bugs me. It's just going to reinforce the impression that "only" Apple Pay works at Apple Pay retailers, "only" Android Pay works at Android Pay retailers, etc. I don't know if doing it any other way is viable in the US market though.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think most folks will figure out that it's all NFC.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most folks will figure out that it's all NFC.
Maybe. Contactless in other countries though had the advantage that there was one standard icon and that as long as your card had it, it could be tapped.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:28 pm

You could just like buy a cookie or something, plus yours may not even have it yet.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Maybe. Contactless in other countries though had the advantage that there was one standard icon and that as long as your card had it, it could be tapped.
My WF debit had that international icon on it before it was converted to chip. Apple should have never came out with that stupid Apple Pay logo, and just left it the regular contactless card logo.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:11 pm

My WF debit had that international icon on it before it was converted to chip. Apple should have never came out with that stupid Apple Pay logo, and just left it the regular contactless card logo.
You could say the same for Google Wallet, or Android Pay. They both have their own "logo" especially Android Pay, they have the logo on the ViVOpay terminals for example. It's not just Apple here.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best Buy hasn't turned on EMV or NFC yet as of today. Neither has Vons/Safeway. Wasn't the former supposed to turn on at least NFC this month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.