Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Google Wallet always presents as a MasterCard unless you're with the like, two issuers they have tokenization with. They'll let you add any card, because Google presents a Google MasterCard to the merchant then simultaneously charges your actual card.

When these transactions occur, yeah, your bonus rewards are gone.
OK, so if I add an Amex card (for example) and go to a merchant that only takes Amex, I won't be able to use Google Wallet since it would be presenting a MasterCard?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
OK, so if I add an Amex card (for example) and go to a merchant that only takes Amex, I won't be able to use Google Wallet since it would be presenting a MasterCard?
Thats correct.

Some post offices in the UK only take American Express and EU Debit cards, I've seen one or two people encounter this issue when using Cash on Tap (A google wallet equivalent provided by one of the UK phone networks EE), as the phone presents itself as a MasterCard Credit.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I noticed that all purchases made with the Android phone via the Google Wallet show up as "business services", vs. Apple Pay showing the actual merchant category.
Only if the backing card is Amex. If the backing card is Visa or Mastercard, the category will reflect the actual merchant category.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Google Wallet always presents as a MasterCard unless you're with the like, two issuers they have tokenization with.
I think it was just Citi and even then only on phones that had a Secure Element. Wallet only uses HCE now so I think it uses the same prepaid debit MC even with Citi cards.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:09 pm

It seems SpartanNash, who owns a couple of local store brands has replaced the old creme colored sure pos 700 systems with MX860 with EMV slots with a brand new black pos and MX925 that say Slide/Tap, shows the Contactless logo, the four lights with one lit up and all four do when you tap. Of course Google Wallet works perfectly and the cashier has told me she had seen phones being used to pay many times! They also have Toshiba branded self-checkout machines which are also black with the same MX925's, pretty cool stuff. Ironically like a week and half ago we talked with a cashier who told us that they were going to eventually replace the pos and the pinpads with ones that support EMV cards, but I had no idea it would be so soon! Also the local Trader Joe's has not updated to MX915's yet, but I'm sure they also replace the whole pos system as well?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Did Apple Pay while exiting the SJC parking garage last week. Didn't realize it was an option until my passenger pointed it out to me as I was fumbling to get my wallet out while buckled in. Reached instead for my phone and it quickly activated, authorized and processed. The only strange thing I realized after, not that I needed it, is I never got a receipt; although that might have just been my bad to not push some button instead of just driving off when the gate opened.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:01 am

According to @jamar, US Bank has discontinued contactless, stating customers demanded they remove the feature. Sigh.

That leaves HSBC, Amex and Wells Fargo as the hold-outs. I definitely give HSBC and Amex more card business than they'd otherwise get (pathetic rewards) due to having contactless. They do the right thing for customers, they win.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
According to @jamar, US Bank has discontinued contactless, stating customers demanded they remove the feature. Sigh.

That leaves HSBC, Amex and Wells Fargo as the hold-outs. I definitely give HSBC and Amex more card business than they'd otherwise get (pathetic rewards) due to having contactless. They do the right thing for customers, they win.
Were the customers afraid someone was going to steal their credit card numbers so they bought metal wallets as well?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Trader Joe's near me just got brand new MX925's. Here's to hoping they turn on NFC soon!

The chip slot is still disabled in them though and the cashier said they have not had any formal training on them.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Trader Joe's near me just got brand new MX925's. Here's to hoping they turn on NFC soon!

The chip slot is still disabled in them though and the cashier said they have not had any formal training on them.
The Verifone MX915/MX925 both come with Contactless on by default so EMV means nothing if its on or not, so Google Wallet would work if its enabled, although Apple Pay would light up, and say pay with touch id, but after you do that, it would then decline. Sadly my local Trader Joe's has not got any new ones yet, so they are using those old grey Ingenico terminals.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a tokenization in Australia white paper by Visa: http://visa.com.au/aboutvisa/researc..._Now_FINAL.pdf. Relevant stats from pages 21-22:

Australia:
60.4% of Visa transactions use payWave
70% have smartphones
89% have Internet
43% shopped online with a smartphone in 2014
92% have shopped online

Canada:
14.7% of Visa transactions with payWave
55% own smartphones
83% have Internet
20% used a smartphone to shop online in 2014
82% have shopped online in 2014

UK:
41 million contactless cards
71% own smartphones
84% have Internet
14% used a smartphone to shop online in 2014
67% have made a purchase online

US:
72.9% own smartphones
78% have Internet
15% used a smartphone to shop online in 2014
39% shop online monthly in 2014

Singapore:
21.5% of Visa transactions are with payWave
85% own smartphones
75% have Internet
35% used a smartphone to shop online in 2014
78% shopped online at least once a month

I bet a decade from now we'll either be using phones/watches to pay for things or we'll see posts from people who wonder in amazement why we still insert cards. I don't think we'll ever see significant use of payWave/PayPass on physical cards.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:57 pm

There is a Whataburger near my parents' house that have machines that look like they can take contactless. With lights and all. I've tried Apple Pay there twice, and it never worked. The employees there said they did not take those as payment yet. Today, I went to another Whataburger and Apple Pay worked. I'm not sure if this is true for their whole chain, or just this store. There is about a two month gap between the visits. Though I try to avoid fast food, I'll try and go back to the place by my parents' house and see if it now allows Apple Pay/contactless.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWRide
There is a Whataburger near my parents' house that have machines that look like they can take contactless. With lights and all. I've tried Apple Pay there twice, and it never worked. The employees there said they did not take those as payment yet. Today, I went to another Whataburger and Apple Pay worked. I'm not sure if this is true for their whole chain, or just this store. There is about a two month gap between the visits. Though I try to avoid fast food, I'll try and go back to the place by my parents' house and see if it now allows Apple Pay/contactless.
I wish In-N-Out had contactless I have the feeling they're going to miss the EMV deadline though so I'm not expecting it any time soon.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
I wish In-N-Out had contactless I have the feeling they're going to miss the EMV deadline though so I'm not expecting it any time soon.
I don't have a lot of hope for restaurants as a whole except for the ones that already have PIN pads like McD's and Jersey Mikes
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I don't have a lot of hope for restaurants as a whole except for the ones that already have PIN pads like McD's and Jersey Mikes
Rubio's didn't have PIN pads until recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.