Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Just came back from Albertsons. Apparently if your transaction is more than $50 and you try to use Apple Pay the clerk has to enter the last 4 of your DAN and you have to sign for the purchase. I almost don't mind signing but the DAN entry makes Apple Pay extremely inconvenient. It took us three attempts (2x with AmEx, 1x with CSP) before we could get it to go through. I think he may have been entering the wrong last 4 digits since it shows the last 4-5 of your physical card as well as your DAN, but the clerk also mentioned something about how AmEx and MC were not working right with Apple Pay there.

(I was able to use AmEx with Apple Pay at self-checkout under $50 with no problem the last time I was there so I think he was just entering the wrong digits for DAN. But still, they shouldn't need to ask for those with contactless.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That's how I feel about Bartell Drugs here in WA, with NO CVM waiver -- all tapped transactions require a signature, and Macy's -- all tapped transactions require clerk input of last four digits of card ... when she realizes that the transaction isn't going through.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
the clerk also mentioned something about how AmEx and MC were not working right with Apple Pay there.
Makes sense, as my physical Amex and Mastercard cards fail more often than they work. It's horribly misconfigured.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:04 am

Well I went to Best Buy and Contactless did not work, just got the same message I got a year ago, but the cashier thought that they would be supporting Apple Pay/Google Wallet very soon from a meeting they had. Which backs up what I've heard, but only with a new pos system, this store still had the old L4150's and IBM pos system, so no wonder it doesn't work yet.
I'm guessing all SpartanNash(Family Fare, Bag N' Save, No Frills etc) stores probably use this theme on the MX925: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...416152110a.jpg I'm sure this actually works correctly with Apple Pay unlike Albertsons, as it doesn't say "Please slide card." simply say Swipe/Tap and show the logo, so they must have thought that well through.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Well I went to Best Buy and Contactless did not work, just got the same message I got a year ago, but the cashier thought that they would be supporting Apple Pay/Google Wallet very soon from a meeting they had. Which backs up what I've heard, but only with a new pos system, this store still had the old L4150's and IBM pos system, so no wonder it doesn't work yet.
I'm guessing all SpartanNash(Family Fare, Bag N' Save, No Frills etc) stores probably use this theme on the MX925: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...416152110a.jpg I'm sure this actually works correctly with Apple Pay unlike Albertsons, as it doesn't say "Please slide card." simply say Swipe/Tap and show the logo, so they must have thought that well through.
Hopefully contactless actually happens at BB but they are MCX members so I don't have high hopes. In any case, judging by my last couple of experiences at Best Buy CurrentC would likely be faster than what they're doing now.

Also, speaking of broken POS terminals, CVS still doesn't realize that my AmEx is incapable of debit or EBT so I have to choose "Credit" every time. I get asking when someone swipes a debit card or the credit card is from an unknown BIN but they shouldn't need to ask if it's obviously credit. Every other store seems to get this right. Maybe once EMV's finally turned on there that prompt will go away.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My WF contactless debit card is swipe-only (no chip); the Paywave credit card I have EMV'ed once at Wal Mart to test the chip (sig waived). Are you saying that my non-EMV debit card would likely not work in Britain as contactless?
Oh it would work fine. The rule only applies to EMV cards.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Oh it would work fine. The rule only applies to EMV cards.
I don't think it applies to EMV cards issued in the US. I have used both my Amex and HSBC cards for contactless transactions before I used them for contact EMV transactions. In fact, my current Amex has never been used for a contact transaction and has worked fine for dozens of contactless transactions.

That said, most (all?) of those contactless transactions are mag stripe, but I'm not sure if that affects the risk management counters or not?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
I don't think it applies to EMV cards issued in the US. I have used both my Amex and HSBC cards for contactless transactions before I used them for contact EMV transactions. In fact, my current Amex has never been used for a contact transaction and has worked fine for dozens of contactless transactions.

That said, most (all?) of those contactless transactions are mag stripe, but I'm not sure if that affects the risk management counters or not?
I don't think that applies to msd contactless transactions.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:59 am

I don't think that applies to msd contactless transactions.
Okay, I'll have to make a contact chip transaction with my Amex card then just to make sure that if I do end up deciding to use it in the UK (don't know why I would, it has a FTF, but just in case) it will work.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:01 pm

I saw some article saying today that Applepay was demagnetising credit card when active (I'm guessing they were referring to using Touch ID before you get to the terminal to authorise the transaction) , but it seems to have disappeared now. Sounds like rubbish to me. I'm not sure how it could erase magnetic stripes, the nfc chip doesn't even transmit anything till it is within the terminals range does it?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:31 pm

I saw some article saying today that Applepay was demagnetising credit card when active (I'm guessing they were referring to using Touch ID before you get to the terminal to authorise the transaction) , but it seems to have disappeared now. Sounds like rubbish to me. I'm not sure how it could erase magnetic stripes, the nfc chip doesn't even transmit anything till it is within the terminals range does it?
Complete and utter nonsense
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Complete and utter nonsense
Haha thats what I thought.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I expected Barclays to push the Aviator Red card info to my iPhone since I received/activated the Aviator card today but it still shows the US Airways card image. How long does it take for that to happen? Or am I going to need to delete/readd the card? I really don't want to have to call them again if possible.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Just used Apple Pay at a small time pet store, and the receipt mentions Chip Card AID, etc. Next time I'm going to try an EMV Debit here.

EMV debits work fine in First Data terminals right? Not like the shoddy Walmart implementation?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Just used Apple Pay at a small time pet store, and the receipt mentions Chip Card AID, etc. Next time I'm going to try an EMV Debit here.

EMV debits work fine in First Data terminals right? Not like the shoddy Walmart implementation?
Last time I used a debit card in EMV mode somewhere with FD terminals I wasn't asked for a PIN. At least I could insert still I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.