Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 pm

It looks like Pret A Manger has begun the process of accepting contactless and EMV payments in the US. Pret was already a huge contactless supporter in Europe. I noticed recently that one of the Pret locations in Chicago showed up on the MasterCard Contactless locator. I checked it out, and sure enough they now have customer-facing Verifone terminals (VX 820, I think?). Apple Pay worked flawless. Not sure if EMV was enabled yet. Pret was previously like most other quick serve restaurants where you'd hand your card to the cashier to swipe at the register. I'd imagine they'll be rolling this setup out to other locations soon.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I think pressing the button twice on the loop pay fob must do something similar as I got a track 2 error on an mx850 but pressed it again and it worked. That most likely means that Android Pay will be EMV Contactless too! I went to a Jack In The Box on the locator and they had ripped out the vivopay 4000s as there were no contactless readers inside at all but I did not check the drive thru. Anything similar happen to your jitb?
When you press the button it alternates between sending track 1 and track 2.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by zolk
It looks like Pret A Manger has begun the process of accepting contactless and EMV payments in the US. Pret was already a huge contactless supporter in Europe. I noticed recently that one of the Pret locations in Chicago showed up on the MasterCard Contactless locator. I checked it out, and sure enough they now have customer-facing Verifone terminals (VX 820, I think?). Apple Pay worked flawless. Not sure if EMV was enabled yet. Pret was previously like most other quick serve restaurants where you'd hand your card to the cashier to swipe at the register. I'd imagine they'll be rolling this setup out to other locations soon.
I see that more and more now. Jimmy Johns, Pei Wei, etc all now have customer facing terminals.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:59 pm

Just used Samsung Pay at Mountain Mike's pizza, they had one register with the typical First data terminals for EMV and NFC. THE other register had a Clover Mini station. Both were EMV and NFC enabled. I tried both and Samsung Pay ran as an EMV transaction both times. No card holder verification required and AID printed on the receipt. So Samsung Pay can work in EMV mode.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Had two UK card Apple pay fails at Jamba Juice. Amex declined and Visa wouldn't read on Apple pay. U.S. MasterCard on Apple pay worked fine.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:04 pm

Looks like Android Pay is coming in two weeks, I got this after Google Wallet complained that it needed to be online every 24hours and I got this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4-19-42-43.png after I rebooted my phone. ^ I really hope its EMV just like Samsung Pay and Apple Pay, it would not make sense to not do EMV Contactless. But won't that mean it needs bank support? I actually tried to hack it on my phone through this way: http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-t...t-now-0164299/ It did not work, but I now know that it will use the virtual card if your bank does not yet support Android Pay, so it will keep on working the same old way until your bank supports it and then it should support EMV once they do.
Android Pay at Staples.

Last edited by scibot; Sep 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Looks like Android Pay is coming in two weeks, I got this after Google Wallet complained that it needed to be online every 24hours and I got this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4-19-42-43.png after I rebooted my phone. ^ I really hope its EMV just like Samsung Pay and Apple Pay, it would not make sense to not do EMV Contactless. But won't that mean it needs bank support? I actually tried to hack it on my phone through this way: http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-t...t-now-0164299/ It did not work, but I now know that it will use the virtual card if your bank does not yet support Android Pay, so it will keep on working the same old way until your bank supports it and then it should support EMV once they do.
Android Pay at Staples.
I have Android Pay working on my S6 Edge Plus. B of A and Citibank are working fine. The terms and conditions for both are the same from Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay. Though for some reason, Citi is working with Apple and Android, but not Samsung. Very annoying, but I will be testing Android Pay tomorrow out as well as Samsung Pay. I believe Android Pay can do EMV mode, though I will know tomorrow, I do know that Android Pay Visa works with the old MSD contactless terminals where Apple Pay and Samsung Pay do not. So EMV might not be working. I will know very shortly.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So the Kroger family of grocery stores probably won't get NFC any time soon. OTOH they'll probably have EMV turned on by October, so that's something at least?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:14 am

I can confirm Android Pay will do full EMV. It's interesting to see that Android Pay is the only one of the three to offer EMV and MSD support for both Visa and MasterCard. Also, you can use Android Pay and Samsung Pay at the same time. If you want to use AP, just unlock your phone and tap. SP works by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Both are just as fast really.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
I can confirm Android Pay will do full EMV. It's interesting to see that Android Pay is the only one of the three to offer EMV and MSD support for both Visa and MasterCard. Also, you can use Android Pay and Samsung Pay at the same time. If you want to use AP, just unlock your phone and tap. SP works by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Both are just as fast really.
I'm pretty sure Visa is EMV contactless on Apple Pay too; it's just easier to see that with MC and AmEx on cardpeek.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm pretty sure Visa is EMV contactless on Apple Pay too; it's just easier to see that with MC and AmEx on cardpeek.
Yes, but Visa on Apple Pay and Android Pay can't do real MSD contactless, they can only do MSD over EMV communication meaning the older contactless terminals can't read it. Android Pay is the only one with full EMV and MSD support for Visa. MasterCard has full support from all of them.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but Visa on Apple Pay and Android Pay can't do real MSD contactless, they can only do MSD over EMV communication meaning the older contactless terminals can't read it. Android Pay is the only one with full EMV and MSD support for Visa. MasterCard has full support from all of them.
Other than the next six or so months before Visa ends all support for MSD, it ultimately won't matter.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Other than the next six or so months before Visa ends all support for MSD, it ultimately won't matter.
I don't think it will be fully removed even if mandated. The banks most likely have special partnerships with Visa for the US to keep it working.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it will be fully removed even if mandated. The banks most likely have special partnerships with Visa for the US to keep it working.
Considering that the primary excuse for removing contactless from the cards appears to be "low use" (at least according to Chase), I doubt much would be lost if removed.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:19 am

What do you mean "real"? The communications protocol for MSD and EMV is the same, the difference is in the data. Apple Pay, etc can be used to construct an MSD transaction. Yes, some terminals get confused, certainly, but there's nothing different about the communications protocol, other than the whole stack of extra data an EMV card offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.