Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Possible solution if you don't want to pay with a phone?

Not sure if you need a UK bank account to load these things or not though.

EDIT: skip to 6 minutes or so into the video. FT stripped that out when I posted.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As I understand it, Caixa Bank in Spain is issuing chipped bracelets (sort of like key fobs) for NFC use.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Possible solution if you don't want to pay with a phone?

Not sure if you need a UK bank account to load these things or not though.

EDIT: skip to 6 minutes or so into the video. FT stripped that out when I posted.
You need a UK credit or debit card to load. They're also bloody expensive. It's called bPay and it's a total rip-off. Rumour is it is also why Barclay's doesn't support Apple Pay (they want to sell these things - there's a nice profit margin in them!)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
A quick, basic question: does On Device CVM software updating require a pull from the merchant, or is it (eventually) pushed to them?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
A quick, basic question: does On Device CVM software updating require a pull from the merchant, or is it (eventually) pushed to them?
It's in their automatic software update for small merchants. Large merchants probably download it themselves.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, something that I keep hearing is that it costs American retailers significant money to turn on NFC (on terminals that already have the hardware for it, even) vs. just EMV. Is there any sort of truth to that? Are people confusing the 0.15% cut that Apple takes from banks and assuming that it's taken from the retailers themselves? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true considering that at least a few non-MCX members aren't bothering with it right now but that seems unlikely to me.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:23 pm

So I tested Android Pay with an FD35 pinpad, but it was one that had the nfc light lit, Credit, Debit options, tap first they then enter the amount and I believe no EMV as it made me sign for it. So the ones that do not make you press Sale first must really not have EMV enabled yet. I also tested BP and Trader Joe's without issues. Natural Grocers actually worked better than it did with Google Wallet as I was able to hold my phone vertical instead of horizontal, which just strange because GW always made ne hold it horizontal, but still made me sign for it just like Wallet. Overall it seems to work in the same places as Apple Pay, but not all that work with Google Wallet e.g. Dollar Tree and the Sinclair station with MX915 which both decline with Android Pay, but I'm sure would work with Google Wallet. I'd also say it feels smoother than Google Wallet as well

Last edited by scibot; Sep 9, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:30 pm

So, something that I keep hearing is that it costs American retailers significant money to turn on NFC (on terminals that already have the hardware for it, even) vs. just EMV. Is there any sort of truth to that? Are people confusing the 0.15% cut that Apple takes from banks and assuming that it's taken from the retailers themselves? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true considering that at least a few non-MCX members aren't bothering with it right now but that seems unlikely to me.
Perhaps the banks are passing on part of Apple's cut to the merchants? It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
There are additional certification expenses for EMV contactless, but that's a one time thing really.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by t325
Perhaps the banks are passing on part of Apple's cut to the merchants? It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Merchants and issuers don't have those types of relationships.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Merchants and issuers don't have those types of relationships.
Actually, from http://www.pymnts.com/news/acquiring...y-competitive/:

Retailers who sign on with Chase for processing are also allowed entry into ChaseNet, which means when customers pay with Chase-issued cards, the bank can process the entire transaction and thus lower fees.
Still, that shouldn't really affect NFC all that much.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of NFC, Discover will start working on Apple Pay beginning on the 16th. They're also going to give 10% back on up to $10,000 in in-person Apple Pay purchases made through the end of the year!

Press release from Discover

I think I just found my new primary Apple Pay card for the next few months. ^

BTW, I wonder if this stacks with their normal 5% Cashback Bonus categories or the 10% that some people were able to sign up for earlier in the year.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:27 pm

Speaking of NFC, Discover will start working on Apple Pay beginning on the 16th. They're also going to give 10% back on up to $10,000 in in-person Apple Pay purchases made through the end of the year!

Press release from Discover

I think I just found my new primary Apple Pay card for the next few months. ^

BTW, I wonder if this stacks with their normal 5% Cashback Bonus categories or the 10% that some people were able to sign up for earlier in the year.
That confirms the Android Pay launch date as Discover is an Android Pay partner for launch as well. I also believe Apple and Android Pay have the exact same backend system. I almost wonder if Google worked with Apple to develop a standard. All cards that I could add to Apple Pay also worked in Android Pay (all of which are not shown on Googles website) plus, the terms and conditions are identical when adding a card (the bank specific ones are) and I get the exact same length verification PIN sent to me when adding a card with all banks, and to top it all off, one of my banks (Citibank) even said in the email "Your card was successfully added to Apple Pay". Something else I found out, the Google Wallet card can be added to Android Pay. It uses the virtual card that Google Wallet uses as it is issued by the Bancorp Bank (this is what Google Tells me when I agree to the terms and conditions). It says this card is not supported directly, but because the card is issued by a virtual card supporting bank, it works very similarly to how the old Google Wallet worked. Screenshots below! (Locations Removed, but all transactions and locations are shown in the Android Pay app, I just edited them out)

Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:32 am

Update! Google Wallet card now shows up correctly in Android Pay!

Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:28 am

I see Google updated to Google Play services 8.1.13, I wonder what changed from the previous version?

Also this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0910150202.jpg came from an FD100ti which has an FD35 pinpad connected without EMV I believe, but it looks quite different from other first data receipts that I've received from other places with similar equipment. I wonder what merchant services provider is it from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.