Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Tried Android Pay at a Sinclair gas station in a village of 223, which has a Verifone MX915 and no emv update until late October according to the owner, it declined on both credit and debit, maybe it was trying to do emv on a system with out emv? Of course Mcds worked fine. ^ If the card it sends via nfc has an AID of A0000000041010 that means that its emv contactless card correct?
No, magstipe mode contactless uses the same AIDs, it just doesn't have all the data needed for an EMV transaction.

On another note, I just successfully used Android Pay with a Bank of America card at McDonald's and Costa, no problem.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
No, magstipe mode contactless uses the same AIDs, it just doesn't have all the data needed for an EMV transaction.

On another note, I just successfully used Android Pay with a Bank of America card at McDonald's and Costa, no problem.
Did Android Pay run in emv mode or msd mode at those two places?

Last edited by scibot; Sep 6, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:57 pm

Did Android Pay run in emv mode or msd mode at those two places?
Unsure, Costa's receipt had no card information (but I think the receipt was from their POS, not the card machine which is by WorldPay), and McDonald's only had the AID and and a few other details - no cryptogram so I can't be sure. None of their receipts have the cryptogram tho. I'll edit this post in a few minutes to attach a photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alliel...posted-public/

Last edited by AllieKat; Sep 6, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:30 pm

Unsure, Costa's receipt had no card information (but I think the receipt was from their POS, not the card machine which is by WorldPay), and McDonald's only had the AID and and a few other details - no cryptogram so I can't be sure. None of their receipts have the cryptogram tho. I'll edit this post in a few minutes to attach a photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alliel...posted-public/
That is EMV mode as it's reading the CVM order of the card.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Good point! I missed that line somehow!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I saw this credit card terminal while watching a demo of a French fry vending machine

Any guess as to who makes it? It seems to be contactless only or possibly contactless+EMV (but the video makes it hard to tell).

EDIT: looks to be http://www.payter.com/en/products/p66-the-plane/, which seems to be contactless only.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Why the lack of a cryptogram though? So soon I'm going to test Android Pay at a local place with an FD35 pinpad to test emv contactless.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I saw this credit card terminal while watching a demo of a French fry vending machine

Any guess as to who makes it? It seems to be contactless only or possibly contactless+EMV (but the video makes it hard to tell).

EDIT: looks to be http://www.payter.com/en/products/p66-the-plane/, which seems to be contactless only.
Most vending machines here in Europe are contactless-only, which really makes sense. Wouldn't work well in the US as card issuers (except Amex and HSBC) have their heads in the sand, but I still have hope that may change.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw

Being Dutch, I wonder if it only takes Maestro debit?

I've run across a vending machine that was swipe or tap only, no cash.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Why the lack of a cryptogram though? So soon I'm going to test Android Pay at a local place with an FD35 pinpad to test emv contactless.
There is no requirement beyond AID and application preferred name/label to be printed on an EMV receipt (contact or contactless).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:06 pm

McDonald's doesn't show the cryptogram on the receipt, ever. I don't think it's mandatory to do so.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Good point! I missed that line somehow!
McDonalds uk machines also seem to think you've swiped a card when you use an MSD contactless card. (It even says card swiped)
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've come to the conclusion that any Vivopay terminal won't work with UK Apple pay cards in the U.S.

VISA won't read and AmEx and MasterCard will decline.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:46 pm

I used Android Pay at Walgreens this morning and (I'm assuming) it was in MSD mode; there's no AID on the receipt.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:14 pm

McDonald's doesn't show the cryptogram on the receipt, ever. I don't think it's mandatory to do so.
Ah I see I guess that makes sense.
Originally Posted by reclusive46
McDonalds uk machines also seem to think you've swiped a card when you use an MSD contactless card. (It even says card swiped)
Trader Joe's in the US says contactless has been swiped as well so you can tell its only msd atm. Today I went to my local Walgreens and no emv yet as Android Pay ran through msd and the emv covers were blocked still. Subway also worked with Android Pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.