Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
Eventually yes. The payment networks want it gone as soon as possible.

In the US, Visa has said that as of 1 April 2016, if a merchant accepts EMV contact and wants to accept contactless then it must have EMV contactless enabled.

Currently, other than Walgreens and some standalone terminals it seems the contactless setups in the US all seem to be mainly using MSD even if contact EMV is enabled.
I'm not sure the other networks are as desperate as Visa to get rid of it; they don't have any upcoming rule changes to that effect, not to mention AmEx only doing MSD contactless on both Android and Apple Pay for US cards despite EMV coming to the US and EMV contactless being on the physical cards.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure the other networks are as desperate as Visa to get rid of it; they don't have any upcoming rule changes to that effect, not to mention AmEx only doing MSD contactless on both Android and Apple Pay for US cards despite EMV coming to the US and EMV contactless being on the physical cards.
Amex always does their own thing but with my experiences working with Visa and MasterCard in Canada, I would place an eventual sunset of MSD in the 2018-2020 timeframe.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"It's called skimming and it could happen to anyone, including you!"

Pretty low production values and getting SSN and some of the other info is pretty far-fetched. I wonder how many people they managed to convince to buy that product. (Also, just sign up for a few metal credit cards and you won't need to buy RFID shields.)
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:22 pm

I went to a Price Chopper that uses IBM Hardware with NCR Retalix software and MX915's with NFC turned on. The receipt printer is IBM so it looks different from places that use NCR receipt printers. Has the dots showing and Please Slide Card of course just like pretty much all Retalix places. I also went to this newly opened Liquor Superstore and they have Dejavoo Z11 credit card machines facing the customer and they press something on their pos to activate the machine, then it says Swipe, Tap, or Enter #. I asked about EMV and the cashier mentioned something about them trying to get EMV debit to work and in trying to do that EMV stopped working. The receipt from the pos shows my virtual cards number so its probably a semi integrated solution. Loves Truck stop uses NCR hardware with Retalix and L5300's, but the one I went to had one of the older units, but contactless was enabled on all units. It was tap, press credit and done, it was very fast and the receipt says 'WAVED'. I've heard when you use Apple Pay there it wants the last four digits of the card though.

Last edited by scibot; Dec 24, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I found another free EMV terminal from Staples: http://www.staples.com/Groovv-Termin...nalize=certona. The first $10K in Apple Pay/NFC transactions are apparently free for the first year, which is nice. 2.89% for rewards cards and the monthly fee is still more expensive than Square though.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:08 pm

Just got my HSBC debit card with EMV contactless. Looks great and works great as well! I'm just funding the account through PayPal which works fine.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
So I found another free EMV terminal from Staples: http://www.staples.com/Groovv-Termin...nalize=certona. The first $10K in Apple Pay/NFC transactions are apparently free for the first year, which is nice. 2.89% for rewards cards and the monthly fee is still more expensive than Square though.
The "Groovv" terminal looks like they shoved a bunch of stickers on an Ingenico and called it there's. Almost like they're trying to rebrand an Ingenico as if they have built it, which I believe isn't right.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by scibot
I went to a Price Chopper that uses IBM Hardware with NCR Retalix software and MX915's with NFC turned on. The receipt printer is IBM so it looks different from places that use NCR receipt printers. Has the dots showing and Please Slide Card of course just like pretty much all Retalix places. I also went to this newly opened Liquor Superstore and they have Dejavoo Z11 credit card machines facing the customer and they press something on their pos to activate the machine, then it says Swipe, Tap, or Enter #. I asked about EMV and the cashier mentioned something about them trying to get EMV debit to work and in trying to do that EMV stopped working. The receipt from the pos shows my virtual cards number so its probably a semi integrated solution. Loves Truck stop uses NCR hardware with Retalix and L5300's, but the one I went to had one of the older units, but contactless was enabled on all units. It was tap, press credit and done, it was very fast and the receipt says 'WAVED'. I've heard when you use Apple Pay there it wants the last four digits of the card though.
Retalix is the back end payment processing software. You can't tell if a business is using Retalix just by looking, even if they have NCR hardware. IBM printers are not out of the ordinary. IBM 4610s are common thermal receipt printers.

As of right now, Retalix does not support EMV as they're still trying to get certifications for the MX915/925s from one network that has been holding out (the date keeps getting pushed back). As for other types of pin pads, I've seen ETA dates well into April 2016.

I'll try to take a photo of the EMV update timeframe screen when I'm back at work. They track all of the logins to Retalix so I don't want to do it from home.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The "Groovv" terminal looks like they shoved a bunch of stickers on an Ingenico and called it there's. Almost like they're trying to rebrand an Ingenico as if they have built it, which I believe isn't right.
I also initially (mis?)read the description as though there would be extra fees on top of the normal swipe fees to do NFC after the first year's up, even though that wouldn't make much sense. Considering how sketchy merchant acquiring can be though, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:55 pm

I also initially (mis?)read the description as though there would be extra fees on top of the normal swipe fees to do NFC after the first year's up, even though that wouldn't make much sense. Considering how sketchy merchant acquiring can be though, I wouldn't be surprised.
No t's lower fees on transactions using NFC for the first year, then it goes up to the same as swipe/insert.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
Retalix is the back end payment processing software. You can't tell if a business is using Retalix just by looking, even if they have NCR hardware. IBM printers are not out of the ordinary. IBM 4610s are common thermal receipt printers.

As of right now, Retalix does not support EMV as they're still trying to get certifications for the MX915/925s from one network that has been holding out (the date keeps getting pushed back). As for other types of pin pads, I've seen ETA dates well into April 2016.

I'll try to take a photo of the EMV update timeframe screen when I'm back at work. They track all of the logins to Retalix so I don't want to do it from home.
I glanced at one of the cashiers screen and it looked exactly like a known Retalix businesses plus the 'Please Slide Card' on the MX915 gives it away and it says #RXXXX1234 for the card info R for RFID or receiver or something like that. Unless that isn't a way to tell. What I do know is that Associated Wholesale Grocers owns the Price Chopper brand and I went to Apple Market who is owned by them and they using Retalix for sure as I saw it on the screen on the L5300 and the receipts between the two look pretty close. Is the Equinox L5300 one of the ones with the April 2016 date? Trader Joe's has the same RXXXX1234 line on the receipt but there is no way they are using Retalix as they have EMV enabled already.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like someone might be cloning MSD contactless: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bestbuy/com...nabled_phones/

Thoughts?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:32 am

Grabbed a quick meal at McD yesterday. Payed using my Amex PRG that has contactless, worked flawlessly. But then I look at the receipt and it says "Visa SALE *****3422". The last 4 digits don't match my Amex. Any idea what is going on there?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:29 pm

Sounds like someone might be cloning MSD contactless: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bestbuy/com...nabled_phones/

Thoughts?
That's the Swipe Yours app. It allows for people to use any cards swipe data to be played over nfc. This actually won't work with Apple Pay though as it usually only sends one track of data.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

Thoughts?
You can usually play normal stolen magstripe data through the contactless reader and have it work. This is why contactless MSD must die. Oddly the cloned data almost certainly did not come from contactless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.