Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Chase not superior in every way. On the contrary, CSR not really superior in anyway without the 100k signup bonus.
Chase also rewards a broad travel category, as does Citi Premier, but Prestige picks up only airline, hotel and agency. The gap may be important if you use a significant amount of auto rental or car service. Paying for a cruise might also be missed if the transaction is billed by the line rather than an agency.

Prestige ... electronics for 2 year extended warranty,
I have a hesitation about this, explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27274227-post190.html
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Fair point, but less travel credit. I guess it might be a toss-up if I had the CSR, but since I have the JPMR version, I'm really happy to get United Club.

At any rate, I think a lot will be cancelling. Some of it's really for the principle of the thing. It feels a bit like bait and switch. All these points are going to be worth less, and you don't get some of the great features. To cut all of that and not drop the fee, so disappointing…
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Chase also rewards a broad travel category, as does Citi Premier, but Prestige picks up only airline, hotel and agency. The gap may be important if you use a significant amount of auto rental or car service. Paying for a cruise might also be missed if the transaction is billed by the line rather than an agency.

Agree that CSR gives bonus points for wider range. To me CSR is competing with CSP (and Citi Premier) not Prestige or AMEX Plat for the reasons in my prior posts as the two later cards each have their unique benefits.

Easy to justify Plat living in a Centurion Lounge city.

Frequent flying easily justify Prestige due to the "shorter" Prestige trip delay window. Combined that with just one use of 4th night free, the card literally is $0 annual fee. Actually profiting from the Prestige card from multiple 4th night free.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 29, 2016 at 11:59 am
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Alright, so on the subject. I'm not going to keep both the Prestige and JP Morgan Reserve, for the reasons I mentioned. Do you think it's worth downgrading to the Premier Citi instead of Preferred?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia

Actually, cruises are specifically listed as 3x for the Premier.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Actually, cruises are specifically listed as 3x for the Premier.
Correct, but not for Prestige.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, but not for Prestige.
Indeed. Sorry, I misread your post.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by seawolf
Agree that CSR gives bonus points for wider range. To me CSR is competing with CSP (and Citi Premier) not Prestige or AMEX Plat for the reasons in my prior posts as the two later cards each have their unique benefits.

Easy to justify Plat living in a Centurion Lounge city.

Frequent flying easily justify Prestige due to the "shorter" Prestige trip delay window. Combined that with just one use of 4th night free, the card literally is $0 annual fee. Actually profiting from the Prestige card from multiple 4th night free.
CSR also brings all your spending to a minimum 1.5x (CFU) * 1.5cpm.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Through dozens of the devaluations of the priority pass program since I first got this card in 2007 (anybody remember getting those amazing $7k bus class Modesto to Almaty tickets on Expedia with fixed point cost!), this card has been the best deal for me probably because of one thing.....I spend a ton on business travel with it, probably $3-$5k/mo. Looking ahead at that with latest devaluation, I still get a pretty good deal especially being able to redeem miles at QR (80k for one way bus to Asia) or just buy a plane ticket outright. If I did not spend that much on travel, this card is a terrible deal compared to other options.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I saw one (not necessarily correct) credit enthusiast write that people who applied on or after 9.1.16 don't get the 1.33 general airfare or 1.6 AA redemption options, but are instead only getting 1.25 cpp.

Mine's older and in the "grandfathered for another nine months" category, but I'm curious if these alleged redemption changes for new accounts have been already discredited, or if there might be some truth to them.

I think it would be useful information for the wiki, if true.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
I saw one (not necessarily correct) credit enthusiast write that people who applied on or after 9.1.16 don't get the 1.33 general airfare or 1.6 AA redemption options, but are instead only getting 1.25 cpp.

Mine's older and in the "grandfathered for another nine months" category, but I'm curious if these alleged redemption changes for new accounts have been already discredited, or if there might be some truth to them.

I think it would be useful information for the wiki, if true.
The wiki notes that the AC access is gone immediately for such new accounts, but the others you mention are not. This was based on information I received from Citi and then a post by Doctor of Credit, both linked in the wiki. If there is adequate evidence that this is (no longer) correct, then certainly the wiki will be updated accordingly.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:02 pm

People say CSR is superior but to me Prestige is perfect. Prestige is THE premium product for students and low income folks. It can cost $100. Plus I annually put 10k+ on Access More through Plastiq and at the end, if I were to cash TYP outright, I would actually profit $5.

The nerfs to the program is unfortunate but not enough for me to downright cancel it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by runb4fun
People say CSR is superior but to me Prestige is perfect. Prestige is THE premium product for students and low income folks. It can cost $100. Plus I annually put 10k+ on Access More through Plastiq and at the end, if I were to cash TYP outright, I would actually profit $5.

The nerfs to the program is unfortunate but not enough for me to downright cancel it.
And at the end of the day, the bolded is all that matters. ^ FT is littered with people who think their preferred program is the end all be all, and screw everything else, but at the end of the day what matters is what works for the individual and what they feel they get value out of.

Personally I'm cancelling my Prestige when the AF comes due next summer because the value won't be there in the post deval world. But that's my read on the value. YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:55 pm

I'll probably be converting down to a card without an AF.

Originally Posted by runb4fun
Plus I annually put 10k+ on Access More through Plastiq and at the end, if I were to cash TYP outright, I would actually profit $5.
Don't you pay 2.5% to put it on the card with Plastiq? I'd enjoy using Plastiq if I could run it at 1% TYP or UR, but isn't this just a drain over using the checking? I know this is a tangent, so if there's a lot on this, we could take it to the Plastiq thread, but I'm not sure how you're using the Prestige.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
As long as the 4th night free continues, this card is a keeper. I travel for business extensively, probably 75% of the time. I've gotten thousands back in rebates just this year alone. Next year's exclusion of taxes is a bummer, though.

If they axe the 4th night free in the future, then ya, probably would cancel my card. Or if my company forces us to book hotels through our travel portal. As long as I can milk the rebates, I'm dancing all the way to the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.