Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
CSR also brings all your spending to a minimum 1.5x (CFU) * 1.5cpm.
Only if you assume that the Chase UR portal has a fair price on travel purchases. I have seen premiums for many flights and hotels in the 10-25% range over the best prices I could find elsewhere. It's sometimes the best price, but rarely. IMO, the biggest problem is that some discount airlines simply aren't available for booking through UR, and some low-cost hotels can't be booked through UR either. If you want to book these, and you don't want to pay cash, then you would have to redeem your UR points for cash at 1cpp. Thus, you would only get 1.5% back in that case by using CFU.

Personally, all my non-category spending will continue to go on my Fidelity 2% VISA. That may be less than the 2.25% I would get in theory with my CFU+CSR, but there is no need to mess with points, and redemptions are completely automatic to my Fidelity Cash account. And I don't have to worry about any possible future point devaluation.

The only exception is for foreign travel, I will use another card for non-category spending, since the Fidelity VISA has a 3% FTF. I won't use CFU abroad either as it has a 3% FTF as well.

Best choice for foreign non-category spending for now is probably my Barclay arrival+ since I'm in my first year and it has no annual fee, no FTF, and earns 2%. Once I downgrade it to no-fee Arrival in a year, my CapitalOne Quicksilver MC would be the choice for foreign non-category spending - no annual fee, no FTF, and it earns 1.5% cash back. This is what I used during my last foreign trip for non-category spend. It has no point minimum for redemption, either. But it doesn't have automatic redemption .
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:46 pm

I just opened a Citi Prestige, and am a bit confused about that last bit in the OP.
I planned to open a citi gold checking account next week to offset $100 of the $450 AF, and then downgrade checking account to a free one the following month. Will this still work?
What is citi priority?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by AJDem
I planned to open a citi gold checking account next week to offset $100 of the $450 AF, and then downgrade checking account to a free one the following month. Will this still work?
Probably, but you most likely would want to wait for the reduced AF to post on your Prestige before downgrading. AF didn't post on my first Prestige statement last month - am told it will be on the 2nd statement.

What is citi priority?
Citi is downgrading Citigold members with less than $200K in assets to Citi Priority on November 6. Apparently not recent Citigold applicants.

You would probably want to apply for Citigold before that switch - ie. while you can still qualify with $50K instead of $200K after.

FYI, there is a $600 signup offer for Citigold checking in branch through 10/31 if you open with $50K - that's why I signed up for last month. Only have to keep the funds 30 days. But the $600 bonus won't post for up to 90 days after that. You can withdraw funds after 30 days and still get the bonus, but if the balance drops below $50k, $30 monthly fee will apply.

There is also a $100 referral offer for Citigold. My husband applied in branch for a Citi checking account with $15K . He will get $400 bonus for opening it, plus $100 for referring me to Citigold. We did it together in branch the same day when we came in. Banker was nice enough to let us know !

Altogether, $1100 bonus for depositing $65k. About 5% on an annual basis if all funds are withdrawn at 120 day mark. Don't know what we will actually do, will figure it out when our bonuses have posted.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Probably, but you most likely would want to wait for the reduced AF to post on your Prestige before downgrading. AF didn't post on my first Prestige statement last month - am told it will be on the 2nd statement.

Citi is downgrading Citigold members with less than $200K in assets to Citi Priority on November 6. Apparently not recent Citigold applicants.

You would probably want to apply for Citigold before that switch - ie. while you can still qualify with $50K instead of $200K after.

FYI, there is a $600 signup offer for Citigold checking in branch through 10/31 if you open with $50K - that's why I signed up for last month. Only have to keep the funds 30 days. But the $600 bonus won't post for up to 90 days after that. You can withdraw funds after 30 days and still get the bonus, but if the balance drops below $50k, $30 monthly fee will apply.

There is also a $100 referral offer for Citigold. My husband applied in branch for a Citi checking account with $15K . He will get $400 bonus for opening it, plus $100 for referring me to Citigold. We did it together in branch the same day when we came in. Banker was nice enough to let us know !

Altogether, $1100 bonus for depositing $65k. About 5% on an annual basis if all funds are withdrawn at 120 day mark. Don't know what we will actually do, will figure it out when our bonuses have posted.
Mm, the 50K isn't required to open the CitiGold is it? Only to avoid the monthly fee? I only have about half that available to me, and that's including savings from all my other accounts....Otherwise I would totally be all over that.
My plan was just to open the account with almost no initial deposit, as req is $0. I don't have enough to qualify for the bonus, or even the $400 without pulling out nearly all of my money. Just planning to use the acccount to reduce my annual fee on Prestige.

Last edited by AJDem; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:48 pm

Mm, the 50K isn't required to open the CitiGold is it? Only to avoid the monthly fee? I only have about half that available to me, and that's including savings from all my other accounts....Otherwise I would totally be all over that.
My plan was just to open the account with almost no initial deposit, as req is $0. I don't have enough to qualify for the bonus, or even the $400 without pulling out nearly all of my money. Just planning to use the acccount to reduce my annual fee on Prestige.
Don't think you can open Citigold without $50k. I believe you need to deposit that much. To get the $600 bonus you need to keep it for 30 days. You can withdraw after and not pay the monthly fee.

You can get a $400 bonus if you deposit $15k.

Last edited by madbrain; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Mm, the 50K isn't required to open the CitiGold is it? Only to avoid the monthly fee?
The option to pay a fee rather than maintain the required minimum balance is ending at the same time as the minimum balance increases from $50,000 to $200,000:

* Effective November 1, 2016, if you do not maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible deposits, retirement accounts, and investment balances, your Citigold Account Package will be converted to a different banking package and your accounts will be subject to the terms and conditions then in effect for that package. We will contact you prior to account conversion and send you complete information about the banking package to which your account will be converted.

** Effective November 1, 2016, the $30 monthly service fee will be eliminated for accounts in the Citigold Account Package
See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...solidated.html
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I received my Prestige card before these benefits changes and am not a Citi checking account customer. Today I received a notice from Citi in the snail mail of the following:

- Annual Fee lowered to $350; says I'll get a statement credit of the difference between that and the $450 AF charged earlier this year in the near future.
- Annual 15% bonus of TYPs earned each year.
- No Return Payment Fees
- No Late Fees
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
This would be amazing and might be a reason to keep mine. I will cancel at the same fee structure and reduced benefits. I couldn't believe two months after I got the card they slashed the benefits hard and kept the fee the same! Can anyone else confirm?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:04 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I received my Prestige card before these benefits changes and am not a Citi checking account customer. Today I received a notice from Citi in the snail mail of the following:

- Annual Fee lowered to $350; says I'll get a statement credit of the difference between that and the $450 AF charged earlier this year in the near future.
- No Return Payment Fees
- No Late Fees
That's odd, because I believe everything there mirrors what Citigold clients received.

I could understand if Citi was reducing the annual fees as a retention mechanism, but I don't get why they would voluntarily waive the other fees.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Originally Posted by 84fiero

- No Return Payment Fees
- No Late Fees
Can you block your info and post the letter?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by schalliol
Can you block your info and post the letter?
Got the same letter today with reduced annual fee.

Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I see that the letter refers to banking and credit card customer. I take this to mean that the discount previously offered only to Citigold clients has been expanded. Do you have ANY type of Citi bank account?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:38 pm

I hope you don't have another Citi bank account, as I would very much like to keep the card if cheap enough.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mia
I see that the letter refers to banking and credit card customer. I take this to mean that the discount previously offered only to Citigold clients has been expanded. Do you have ANY type of Citi bank account?
Nothing, and never have had anything besides CCs with Citi. I hadn't had a chance to scan my letter but it is the same as aaron1262's.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:30 pm

Awesome!! Hope to get that letter soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.