Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
They have given themselves some time to announcement improvements, such as online booking of discounted hotel stays or broader bonus categories. I would not announce a change in earnings now if intended to become effective next June.
I have the same feeling. I'd think that expanding the travel category or giving out 3rd night either free or 50% off may be a better and usable deal for a lot of people.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
They have given themselves some time to announcement improvements, such as online booking of discounted hotel stays or broader bonus categories. I would not announce a change in earnings now if intended to become effective next June.
This does make sense. Not many will probably cancel now anyway, but it does cause a lot of chatter.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:49 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
As someone in the $350 AF CitiGold crew I'm definitely keeping the card at a net $100 AF even with the changes. Loss of the golf sucks for me (but it does look like we still get some sort of special access to the TPC Network; will have to explore that), but I almost never fly AA so I don't care about Admiral's Club or AA redemptions. I get tons of use out of Priority Pass flying mostly through LGA and YYZ and also use the 4th night free 2-3x per year for anywhere from $400-$700 each time. On 4th night free, I don't mind the changes because the averaging now lets you stack the benefit with a hotel's own 4th night free where the 4th night shows up at $0. That would have saved me $700 on a hotel stay earlier this year where I couldn't use the Citi benefit because it priced at $0. Also helps a ton where the 4th night isn't the most expensive night (like a stay I have coming up over NYE). Yes you lose a bit off the top not getting taxes back, but in exchange for more flexibility on types of bookings.
For the TPC access, my belief is we will still have access to the private clubs and public ones, but have to pay the green fees that MC charges. Basically whatever price you are seeing on the citi prestige golf portal, you will have to pay. They aren't cheap ($200-500) and typically more than what the club charges its guests.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:32 am

The average night thing should be a wash overall.

But, this is a big takeaway:

Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

Originally Posted by starbuk
I assume everyone got this email today:

"The Complimentary 4th Night benefit will be calculated based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Please see the reverse side of this letter for examples of how the benefit will be calculated. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit. You will still be able to enjoy your benefit at any hotel with no restrictions on the number of times you can use this benefit. All other terms of the Complimentary 4th Night benefit will remain unchanged."

..which might actually work to some people's benefit. As in, we can now take advantage of free 4th night packages from hotels and combine that discount with our 4th night free.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
The average night thing should be a wash overall.

But, this is a big takeaway:

Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.
Wonder how that will play out in Germany as the taxes are already built into the rate.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nick92
With all of the negative changes, I thought for sure now would be a great time to announce that Prestige is going to have the same expanded travel category as thankyou premier.
+ primaty car rental insurance. This together with better protection will make this card a competitive product to the CSP. Right now, I use CSP to pay car rental in US, and I recently tested the benefit of primary car rental insurance. It works, even I used a discount coupon, I got 100% of my money back.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
It's all because of Costco deal, and also Chase helped here with giving 5x on Freedom till the end of the year. Now, if they continue with that, and also add competitive Sapphire Reserve card, Citi will be completely screwed. And also Amex is offering very good bonuses lately. I already racked 425000 MR points in the last 3 month.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Just got this rather unfortunate email....
At least Citi is dare to send out an email so quick...

Citi'c changes for other products are still not yet officially announced...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

If Citi had kept either the golf perk or the 1.6 AA redemption rate I would have kept the card. I am now going to cancel next June when my AF hits.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I'm based in Seattle and fly Alaska Airlines a lot, so suspect that I've found the priority pass card with guesting privileges more valuable than most on this thread.

To me, the $450 annual fee is $100 more than the card is worth, so whether or not I keep it depends on whether I receive a retention offer worth $100 or more.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
It's all because of Costco deal, and also Chase helped here with giving 5x on Freedom till the end of the year. Now, if they continue with that, and also add competitive Sapphire Reserve card, Citi will be completely screwed. And also Amex is offering very good bonuses lately. I already racked 425000 MR points in the last 3 month.
Except Citi will still give me cards whereas Chase will not because of the 5/24 deal.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by corpgator
Except Citi will still give me cards whereas Chase will not because of the 5/24 deal.
Become a Chase private, and they will.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yugi
Become a Chase private, and they will.
That's a costly proposition under the circumstances they want you to invest in. Fees everywhere!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:34 am

My mom just signed up for the 50K/$3K Prestige 2 days ago and confirmed that sign up bonus with the phone rep. Do we know for sure that she'll get the old benefits (golf, current 4th night free) until July 2017?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My mom just signed up for the 50K/$3K Prestige 2 days ago and confirmed that sign up bonus with the phone rep. Do we know for sure that she'll get the old benefits (golf, current 4th night free) until July 2017?
Only way you would not expect that is if you chose to believe the opposite of what the company is saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.