Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Smile

Originally Posted by hiima
...I expected this deval, just like the forward deval, except the forward deval didn't come around for a very long time. ... Not everybody gets this card for the values you speak of. Some get it for the admirals club access and AA 1.6, cause they're AA flyers. Some actually use the golf benefit. Some might not even use PP it or the fourth night free. The ones who are truly mad are the ones who fly exclusively AA and don't use much of the other benefits.
I would love for you to prove your statistics. I don't know what group of people you are speaking of/for.

As you mentioned; "not everybody gets this card for the values you speak of" Key word: " not everybody" Which means that there are a few, VS. the "everybody" Thank you for supporting my argument, that some people actually do get the card for the other benefits I spoke off. Whatever demographics you and those percentage of people, you speak of is, I hate to say is; just out of luck with the Citi Prestige card. One card cannot sustain such generous benefits, especially for those who never pay the annual fee. 1.6 VS. 1.25 is > than 0.00. It's time to accept the inevitable, and search for something more suitable. I would recommend the AA Executive card since it's the same annual fee and exclusive access to Admiral Club, plus you can swipe the card at a golf course and get 1 AA mile per dollar spent.

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:35 am Reason: Trim quotation.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Why don't you try and prove your statistics that everybody or nearly everybody uses the fourth night free and PP. I'm sure everybody uses the airline credit, that I can agree on. Why don't you also try and prove that the majority don't use AC and the AA 1.6x.

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:36 am Reason: Remove quotation from immediately preceeding post.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by livencali
I would love for you to prove your statistics. I don't know what group of people you are speaking of/for.

As you mentioned; "not everybody gets this card for the values you speak of" Key word: " not everybody" Which means that there are a few, VS. the "everybody" Thank you for supporting my argument, that some people actually do get the card for the other benefits I spoke off. Whatever demographics you and those percentage of people, you speak of is, I hate to say is; just out of luck with the Citi Prestige card. One card cannot sustain such generous benefits, especially for those who never pay the annual fee. 1.6 VS. 1.25 is > than 0.00. It's time to accept the inevitable, and search for something more suitable. I would recommend the AA Executive card since it's the same annual fee and exclusive access to Admiral Club, plus you can swipe the card at a golf course and get 1 AA mile per dollar spent.

I never used fourth night free or golf, and I am aware of a few other people who have the card and did not use or rarely used these two benefits. I also used PP 10 or 12 times last year. I like having PP, but that's not the reason I got a Prestige card. I also used the card to access Admiral Clubs quite frequently (about 25 times during the last 12 months), yet losing the AC access is not a big deal. Domestic airline lounges will not be missed!

To me 1.6c on AA and 1.33c on other airlines (along with $250 airline charge reimbursement) were much more valuable benefits than fourth night free, golf, or PP.

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:37 am Reason: Trim quotation.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:20 pm

Devaluing redemption down to 1.25 on a program that's already got poor earning power relative to the competition (no portal, no supermarket category, plus overlapping earning structures) the one redeeming move maybe to introduce a TYP version of FU or something similar. I'm thinking Amex EDP.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by livencali

I'm usually a lurker but you're bold statements drew me out. I also got the card for the 1.6c on AA and AC access. I bet there's more of us

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:38 am Reason: Trim quotation.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:55 pm

Citi's marketing is really puzzling. Last fall they spent a bunch of money acquiring customers for their premium products (Citigold, Prestige card) and this year they are significantly changing account requirements / card benefits. Are they hoping people wouldn't notice / care?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Confirmed with a rep that the announcement is coming in two days. And that it's going to a broad category travel redemption for 1.25c
It still shows 1.33c redemption 40000 = $532 value. Also when I open the same page in Firefox, I'm seeing an old application page, while in Chrome I see a new one. Very weird.

premier is 1.25c. It was never 1.3.
Premier was 1.33c before 2013.

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by sudden729
I'm usually a lurker but you're bold statements drew me out. I also got the card for the 1.6c on AA and AC access. I bet there's more of us
Like me.

With two persons in a household, Premier and Prestige and Citigold last summer, one could rack up a lot of TYPs in a hurry, all the more if one were purchasing flights and hotels and ... If my math is right, a drop from 1.6x to 1.25x for us AA flyers is a loss of $218.75 per 100K TYPs. Don't forget as well that this drop has implications for value of Premier and Preferred cards, since their payout per use drops ~22% as well for us AA flyers.

And, with the Citigold parlay ($350 per card rather than $450), for those of us AA flyers in captive hubs like PHL without Centurion clubs, this is (through next year this time) a lot of benefit.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:29 pm

High AF cards in my portfolio: Amex Plat, United Club, Ritz, and Prestige

having both prestige and premier i am trying to grasp the value of prestige given my likely continuing to hold Amex and United Club.

- Prestige: Priority pass 2 guests is great. i have Lounge Pass via Ritz and haven't seen to what extent PP does offer better coverage. Most layovers I make are in Europe and not domestic.

- Extended 24m warranty is also offered by Premier, although i am questioning the ease of fulfillment vs Amex.

The one sticking point I have in favor of Prestige is the travel insurance: broader definition of covered incidents for delays and cancelations plus the time it takes for delay coverage to begin: Prestige is 3 hours vs 12 hours (or overnight stay)

Is there real value in this over chase?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Starting when?
rep wouldn't confirm the starting date. i am assuming that it's July 27, 2017
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
High AF cards in my portfolio: Amex Plat, United Club, Ritz, and Prestige

having both prestige and premier i am trying to grasp the value of prestige given my likely continuing to hold Amex and United Club.

- Prestige: Priority pass 2 guests is great. i have Lounge Pass via Ritz and haven't seen to what extent PP does offer better coverage. Most layovers I make are in Europe and not domestic.

- Extended 24m warranty is also offered by Premier, although i am questioning the ease of fulfillment vs Amex.

The one sticking point I have in favor of Prestige is the travel insurance: broader definition of covered incidents for delays and cancelations plus the time it takes for delay coverage to begin: Prestige is 3 hours vs 12 hours (or overnight stay)

Is there real value in this over chase?
As long as it isn't an award ticket, in which case reimbursement is limited to taxes and fees. I use CSP for those.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 26, 2016 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by beachfan
As long as it isn't an award ticket, in high case reimbursement is limited to taxes and fees. I use CSP for those.
Actually it's changed now, prestige covers award tickets too, or well it has the partial payment wording anyway.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Several posts have been removed or edited. I appreciate that devaluations make people testy, particularly when the specifics are not yet confirmed, but this does not excuse personal attacks. Here is the rule:

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Devaluing redemption down to 1.25 ...
This is not a change that I expected. I think Citi needs more than Priority Pass and the 4th night hotel benefit to differentiate Prestige from Premier, and this doesn't cost much to maintain (because it's only a difference of about 5,000 points per $1,000 redemption.)

It illustrates what I think is a fundamental weakness of ThankYou versus Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, Diners Club Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. Citi has a culture of tinkering. They just cannot go more than about 24 months without altering the redemption values, and they do not seem to appreciate that this makes the program unattractive for those who might accumulate rewards for an aspirational objective.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:57 am

Buh-bye Prestige

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-card.html

Last edited by mia; Jul 26, 2016 at 8:27 am Reason: Refreshed link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.