Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by garykung
Consider it is a firm information.

For some unknown reasons, Citi has decided to screw as many customers as it can since last year. Its products are practically a messy situation. In many instances, many concerned customers have obtained the updated information way earlier than frontline employees. What makes this worse is the new information is not even available yet (A classic example is the increased requirement for Citigold and the downgrade to Citi Priority).

So when you read Citi's website and discover that the benefit is no longer mentioned, you can consider that benefit is gone for good.

Frontline employees are as puzzled as you are.

They get commissions for it.
Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention of Admiral's Club access, no mention of golf, no mention of 1.6 TYP on American, and specifies that 40,000 points will earn $532 towards a ticket on any airline. No mention of $100 reimbursement for Global Entry either.

That's in addition to the higher initial spend threshold ($4000) in the first three months to earn a lower bonus (40,000 TYP).

So what you have left - for $450/year - is $250 airline credit, Priority Pass, and the fourth night free benefit.

Huge devaluation. I got in just under the wire prior to the changes and will retain this card for exactly one year.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Huge devaluation. I got in just under the wire prior to the changes and will retain this card for exactly one year.
Huge devaluation, yes but for many still a no brainer card.

$450 - $250 airfare credit = net $200. If someone can't find a use for the $250 credit given how flexible it is then they're not the target for this card anyway.

I also got it for $350 a year by going to a branch. So in essence it's only $5 more than the CSP/ TY Premier for me.

For $105 (or for some $5) more than the CSP or Citi Premier (both $95 a year) you get Priority Pass, 4th Night Free and some great extended warranty, trip delay, etc.

Even using these benefits once a year is worth it. I personally have used the 4th night free 2-3 times this year already and each time the reimbursement was more than $105.

I'd encourage people to truly do the math and figure out if it makes sense versus reacting out of anger or frustration. If it still doesn't work out in your favor, then sure go ahead and cancel it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Edit: Someone posted the same thing above me .... but whatever!
Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention of Admiral's Club access, no mention of golf, no mention of 1.6 TYP on American, and specifies that 40,000 points will earn $532 towards a ticket on any airline. No mention of $100 reimbursement for Global Entry either.

That's in addition to the higher initial spend threshold ($4000) in the first three months to earn a lower bonus (40,000 TYP).

So what you have left - for $450/year - is $250 airline credit, Priority Pass, and the fourth night free benefit.

The way I like to look at it (I'm trying to be positive). For a citi gold client its $100 effectively for a card that gives you priority pass. I'll probably keep it and dump my CSP especially since the travel benefits (trip delay etc.) benefits overlap with the CSP.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have never seen a card's benefits hit this hard, by a long shot. Stunning.
No surprise. This is Citi's third attempt to compete with American Express Platinum, and each time their strategy has been essentially the same. Offer unsustainable rewards and benefits to attract cardholders, then scale back.

Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention ...
Global Entry reimbursement is still mentioned in a footnote.

Last edited by mia; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:48 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:10 pm

4th night booking through Thankyou.com

I noticed this wording that states "or through Thankyou.com".

Your benefit is a statement credit equal to the value of the 4th night’s actual room rate, as provided by the Citi Prestige Concierge or through Thankyou.com, even if the rate is different from the rate on other nights.

Does this mean we can avoid the less than ideal experience with Aspire concierge and book online for the 4th night benefit?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I do not mean to be a nervous Nelly, a wet blanket, etc.

And, yes, I can read. I have read this thread. I have read Miles to Memories' blog posting. I have read the Facebook page alluded to there, including all of the comments.

If someone has some information other than what I have read above, I would love to have it!
I have a screen shot of an internal Citi memo for a call next week delineating the changes. That's why I felt confident posting the data to my group
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:16 pm

Citigold to Citi Priority

Does anyone know if Citi Priority will offer the same 15% Thank You point bonus on Prestige accounts that is currently a benefit of Citigold?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
They get commissions for it.
Exactly. Why pay blogs to pump your card and then immediately make changes which encourage people to cancel at renewal, thus making every new acquisition a money loser?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by living
For a citi gold client its $100 effectively for a card that gives you priority pass.
Only if you can keep your Citigold, as the requirement is up beginning November 1, 2016.

Originally Posted by Enclave
Does anyone know if Citi Priority will offer the same 15% Thank You point bonus on Prestige accounts that is currently a benefit of Citigold?
You wish.

Although there is no official information available yet, per other countries who have implement the new change (it seems that Citi wants to unify its product portfolio worldwide), Citi Priority will be a major downgrade from Citigold. Only certain service fees will be waived.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Richklhs
I have a screen shot of an internal Citi memo for a call next week delineating the changes. That's why I felt confident posting the data to my group
I appreciate the intelligence. In my earlier post, I had not meant to convey any doubts about the veracity re the changes that are coming. My interest is in clarifying whether the other changes do not begin until 27 July 2017, too.

If I am reading you correctly, to say that what you saw implies that we are still going to be able to buy AA flights at 1.6 cents per TYP (and play golf etc.) until then with this card, then I for one am very happy.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I appreciate the intelligence. In my earlier post, I had not meant to convey any doubts about the veracity re the changes that are coming. My interest is in clarifying whether the other changes do not begin until 27 July 2017, too.

If I am reading you correctly, to say that what you saw implies that we are still going to be able to buy AA flights at 1.6 cents per TYP (and play golf etc.) until then with this card, then I for one am very happy.
Agreed. Especially with the new revenue requirements for AA, I'm finding myself flying with them less and less, so AC access is a dwindling benefit. Delta seems to be offering consistently cheaper fares out of my 2 area airports, neither of which have an AC.

I'm seriously hoping they don't devalue TYP for AA flights before next July. I have some plans for those.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Enclave
I noticed this wording that states "or through Thankyou.com".

Your benefit is a statement credit equal to the value of the 4th night’s actual room rate, as provided by the Citi Prestige Concierge or through Thankyou.com, even if the rate is different from the rate on other nights.

Does this mean we can avoid the less than ideal experience with Aspire concierge and book online for the 4th night benefit?
Actually, that wording is rather interesting.

Many hotels are way cheaper on weekend nights than week nights, so if your fourth day is a Monday, the free night benefit could be quite substantial.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Huge devaluation, yes but for many still a no brainer card.

$450 - $250 airfare credit = net $200. If someone can't find a use for the $250 credit given how flexible it is then they're not the target for this card anyway.

I also got it for $350 a year by going to a branch. So in essence it's only $5 more than the CSP/ TY Premier for me.

For $105 (or for some $5) more than the CSP or Citi Premier (both $95 a year) you get Priority Pass, 4th Night Free and some great extended warranty, trip delay, etc.

Even using these benefits once a year is worth it. I personally have used the 4th night free 2-3 times this year already and each time the reimbursement was more than $105.

I'd encourage people to truly do the math and figure out if it makes sense versus reacting out of anger or frustration. If it still doesn't work out in your favor, then sure go ahead and cancel it.
I am also in the $5 camp, so I totally agree with you on everything^
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Order the card before the change and received last Monday. It doesn't expire for several years, and it says on the back of the card - "American Airlines Admiral's Club Access".

Does this mean I have access until my card expires or will they issue me a new card next year without the AC access printed on the back?

If so - I will cancel this card as soon as I get my benefits out it.

I was going to cancel my Citi Exec Card - but I guess I will hang on to it. Or cancel it and reopen it next July.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
The card expiration has little to nothing to do with your access's expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.