Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: oopl
Wiki Link
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 23, 16, 10:32 am
  #136  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Consider it is a firm information.

For some unknown reasons, Citi has decided to screw as many customers as it can since last year. Its products are practically a messy situation. In many instances, many concerned customers have obtained the updated information way earlier than frontline employees. What makes this worse is the new information is not even available yet (A classic example is the increased requirement for Citigold and the downgrade to Citi Priority).

So when you read Citi's website and discover that the benefit is no longer mentioned, you can consider that benefit is gone for good.

Frontline employees are as puzzled as you are.



They get commissions for it.
Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention of Admiral's Club access, no mention of golf, no mention of 1.6 TYP on American, and specifies that 40,000 points will earn $532 towards a ticket on any airline. No mention of $100 reimbursement for Global Entry either.

That's in addition to the higher initial spend threshold ($4000) in the first three months to earn a lower bonus (40,000 TYP).

So what you have left - for $450/year - is $250 airline credit, Priority Pass, and the fourth night free benefit.

Huge devaluation. I got in just under the wire prior to the changes and will retain this card for exactly one year.
Diplomatico is online now  
Old Jul 23, 16, 11:06 am
  #137  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Huge devaluation. I got in just under the wire prior to the changes and will retain this card for exactly one year.
Huge devaluation, yes but for many still a no brainer card.

$450 - $250 airfare credit = net $200. If someone can't find a use for the $250 credit given how flexible it is then they're not the target for this card anyway.

I also got it for $350 a year by going to a branch. So in essence it's only $5 more than the CSP/ TY Premier for me.

For $105 (or for some $5) more than the CSP or Citi Premier (both $95 a year) you get Priority Pass, 4th Night Free and some great extended warranty, trip delay, etc.

Even using these benefits once a year is worth it. I personally have used the 4th night free 2-3 times this year already and each time the reimbursement was more than $105.

I'd encourage people to truly do the math and figure out if it makes sense versus reacting out of anger or frustration. If it still doesn't work out in your favor, then sure go ahead and cancel it.
islandguy84 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 11:07 am
  #138  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 69
Edit: Someone posted the same thing above me .... but whatever!
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention of Admiral's Club access, no mention of golf, no mention of 1.6 TYP on American, and specifies that 40,000 points will earn $532 towards a ticket on any airline. No mention of $100 reimbursement for Global Entry either.

That's in addition to the higher initial spend threshold ($4000) in the first three months to earn a lower bonus (40,000 TYP).

So what you have left - for $450/year - is $250 airline credit, Priority Pass, and the fourth night free benefit.

Huge devaluation. I got in just under the wire prior to the changes and will retain this card for exactly one year.
The way I like to look at it (I'm trying to be positive). For a citi gold client its $100 effectively for a card that gives you priority pass. I'll probably keep it and dump my CSP especially since the travel benefits (trip delay etc.) benefits overlap with the CSP.
living is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 12:41 pm
  #139  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 39,668
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I have never seen a card's benefits hit this hard, by a long shot. Stunning.
No surprise. This is Citi's third attempt to compete with American Express Platinum, and each time their strategy has been essentially the same. Offer unsustainable rewards and benefits to attract cardholders, then scale back.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Yeah, if you check the latest citi prestige offer page, there is no mention ...
Global Entry reimbursement is still mentioned in a footnote.

Last edited by mia; Jul 23, 16 at 12:48 pm
mia is online now  
Old Jul 23, 16, 1:10 pm
  #140  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 173
4th night booking through Thankyou.com

I noticed this wording that states "or through Thankyou.com".

Your benefit is a statement credit equal to the value of the 4th night’s actual room rate, as provided by the Citi Prestige Concierge or through Thankyou.com, even if the rate is different from the rate on other nights.

Does this mean we can avoid the less than ideal experience with Aspire concierge and book online for the 4th night benefit?
Enclave is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 1:11 pm
  #141  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: All of Them
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
I do not mean to be a nervous Nelly, a wet blanket, etc.

And, yes, I can read. I have read this thread. I have read Miles to Memories' blog posting. I have read the Facebook page alluded to there, including all of the comments.

If someone has some information other than what I have read above, I would love to have it!
I have a screen shot of an internal Citi memo for a call next week delineating the changes. That's why I felt confident posting the data to my group
Richklhs is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 1:16 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 173
Citigold to Citi Priority

Does anyone know if Citi Priority will offer the same 15% Thank You point bonus on Prestige accounts that is currently a benefit of Citigold?
Enclave is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 1:17 pm
  #143  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
They get commissions for it.
Exactly. Why pay blogs to pump your card and then immediately make changes which encourage people to cancel at renewal, thus making every new acquisition a money loser?
jamesinclair is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 3:36 pm
  #144  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by living View Post
For a citi gold client its $100 effectively for a card that gives you priority pass.
Only if you can keep your Citigold, as the requirement is up beginning November 1, 2016.

Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
Does anyone know if Citi Priority will offer the same 15% Thank You point bonus on Prestige accounts that is currently a benefit of Citigold?
You wish.

Although there is no official information available yet, per other countries who have implement the new change (it seems that Citi wants to unify its product portfolio worldwide), Citi Priority will be a major downgrade from Citigold. Only certain service fees will be waived.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 4:35 pm
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Posts: 3,027
Originally Posted by Richklhs View Post
I have a screen shot of an internal Citi memo for a call next week delineating the changes. That's why I felt confident posting the data to my group
I appreciate the intelligence. In my earlier post, I had not meant to convey any doubts about the veracity re the changes that are coming. My interest is in clarifying whether the other changes do not begin until 27 July 2017, too.

If I am reading you correctly, to say that what you saw implies that we are still going to be able to buy AA flights at 1.6 cents per TYP (and play golf etc.) until then with this card, then I for one am very happy.
Biggie Fries is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 5:06 pm
  #146  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CLE
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
I appreciate the intelligence. In my earlier post, I had not meant to convey any doubts about the veracity re the changes that are coming. My interest is in clarifying whether the other changes do not begin until 27 July 2017, too.

If I am reading you correctly, to say that what you saw implies that we are still going to be able to buy AA flights at 1.6 cents per TYP (and play golf etc.) until then with this card, then I for one am very happy.
Agreed. Especially with the new revenue requirements for AA, I'm finding myself flying with them less and less, so AC access is a dwindling benefit. Delta seems to be offering consistently cheaper fares out of my 2 area airports, neither of which have an AC.

I'm seriously hoping they don't devalue TYP for AA flights before next July. I have some plans for those.
ginoa724 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 5:21 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,160
Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
I noticed this wording that states "or through Thankyou.com".

Your benefit is a statement credit equal to the value of the 4th night’s actual room rate, as provided by the Citi Prestige Concierge or through Thankyou.com, even if the rate is different from the rate on other nights.

Does this mean we can avoid the less than ideal experience with Aspire concierge and book online for the 4th night benefit?
Actually, that wording is rather interesting.

Many hotels are way cheaper on weekend nights than week nights, so if your fourth day is a Monday, the free night benefit could be quite substantial.
fliesdelta is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 5:22 pm
  #148  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 780
Originally Posted by islandguy84 View Post
Huge devaluation, yes but for many still a no brainer card.

$450 - $250 airfare credit = net $200. If someone can't find a use for the $250 credit given how flexible it is then they're not the target for this card anyway.

I also got it for $350 a year by going to a branch. So in essence it's only $5 more than the CSP/ TY Premier for me.

For $105 (or for some $5) more than the CSP or Citi Premier (both $95 a year) you get Priority Pass, 4th Night Free and some great extended warranty, trip delay, etc.

Even using these benefits once a year is worth it. I personally have used the 4th night free 2-3 times this year already and each time the reimbursement was more than $105.

I'd encourage people to truly do the math and figure out if it makes sense versus reacting out of anger or frustration. If it still doesn't work out in your favor, then sure go ahead and cancel it.
I am also in the $5 camp, so I totally agree with you on everything^
bigbuy is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 11:44 pm
  #149  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,015
Order the card before the change and received last Monday. It doesn't expire for several years, and it says on the back of the card - "American Airlines Admiral's Club Access".

Does this mean I have access until my card expires or will they issue me a new card next year without the AC access printed on the back?

If so - I will cancel this card as soon as I get my benefits out it.

I was going to cancel my Citi Exec Card - but I guess I will hang on to it. Or cancel it and reopen it next July.
cova is offline  
Old Jul 24, 16, 1:48 am
  #150  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 923
The card expiration has little to nothing to do with your access's expiration.
ralphs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: