Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:27 am

Unhappy No more Admirals Club = No more Prestige Card

While the Priority Pass works at some airports, there are no lounges at my home airport DCA that accept it. With the upcoming changes to AAdvantage and the elimination of this most important credit card perk, there is no reason to hold a Prestige card or to fly AA.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:37 am

With all of the negative changes, I thought for sure now would be a great time to announce that Prestige is going to have the same expanded travel category as thankyou premier.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by rgronenb
While the Priority Pass works at some airports, there are no lounges at my home airport DCA that accept it. With the upcoming changes to AAdvantage and the elimination of this most important credit card perk, there is no reason to hold a Prestige card or to fly AA.
Same issue for me from ORD...they have 2 but they are in the international terminal...

I also noticed that for my trip to Montreal in September, there is a PP Select lounge in Montreal, but I can't use it because I'm flying into the states...kind of ridiculous.

I don't think I'd get any value at all out of PP Select, not to mention the redemption devaluation and loss of AC...so bye bye Prestige.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Enclave
Does this mean we can avoid the less than ideal experience with Aspire concierge and book online for the 4th night benefit?
Originally Posted by Nick92
... I thought for sure now would be a great time to announce that Prestige is going to have the same expanded travel category as thankyou premier.
They have given themselves some time to announcement improvements, such as online booking of discounted hotel stays or broader bonus categories. I would not announce a change in earnings now if intended to become effective next June.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
My renewal is up in December, will decide next summer if it makes sense to cancel the card to protest the changes in July 2017, in the event Citi offers some other benefits.

While the 1.6 TY point valuation for AA purchases was a major draw, 1.25 for all airlines, combined with 3x earn for airlines and hotels, 4th night free may be enough to keep me around.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:34 am

As someone in the $350 AF CitiGold crew I'm definitely keeping the card at a net $100 AF even with the changes. Loss of the golf sucks for me (but it does look like we still get some sort of special access to the TPC Network; will have to explore that), but I almost never fly AA so I don't care about Admiral's Club or AA redemptions. I get tons of use out of Priority Pass flying mostly through LGA and YYZ and also use the 4th night free 2-3x per year for anywhere from $400-$700 each time. On 4th night free, I don't mind the changes because the averaging now lets you stack the benefit with a hotel's own 4th night free where the 4th night shows up at $0. That would have saved me $700 on a hotel stay earlier this year where I couldn't use the Citi benefit because it priced at $0. Also helps a ton where the 4th night isn't the most expensive night (like a stay I have coming up over NYE). Yes you lose a bit off the top not getting taxes back, but in exchange for more flexibility on types of bookings.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
As someone in the $350 AF CitiGold crew I'm definitely keeping the card at a net $100 AF even with the changes. Loss of the golf sucks for me (but it does look like we still get some sort of special access to the TPC Network; will have to explore that), but I almost never fly AA so I don't care about Admiral's Club or AA redemptions. I get tons of use out of Priority Pass flying mostly through LGA and YYZ and also use the 4th night free 2-3x per year for anywhere from $400-$700 each time. On 4th night free, I don't mind the changes because the averaging now lets you stack the benefit with a hotel's own 4th night free where the 4th night shows up at $0. That would have saved me $700 on a hotel stay earlier this year where I couldn't use the Citi benefit because it priced at $0. Also helps a ton where the 4th night isn't the most expensive night (like a stay I have coming up over NYE). Yes you lose a bit off the top not getting taxes back, but in exchange for more flexibility on types of bookings.
Excellent point re stack ability of fourth night.

Hopefully we can still use our own special hotel codes w the concierge And
Not be forced to use theirs
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by diver858
My renewal is up in December, will decide next summer if it makes sense to cancel the card to protest the changes in July 2017, in the event Citi offers some other benefits.

While the 1.6 TY point valuation for AA purchases was a major draw, 1.25 for all airlines, combined with 3x earn for airlines and hotels, 4th night free may be enough to keep me around.

If the new sapphire offers 3x on travel that's a better deal for me: direct united transferability, Avios, KF, FB AND you can complement it well with UR portal, freedom, ink etc
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:53 am

I'm up in September and I don't think I will keep the card open. I might downgrade it to the Premier card, but I don't see any value in keeping the card. The benefits aren't there for me for an $450 card. I am curious to see what Chase is up to
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Independent
What's insane to me is that the points benefits are now better on the Premier, where you earn 3x points on ALL travel (not just hotels & airfare).

Out of curiosity, has anyone downgraded to the Premier? Would I lose my unmatched flight points?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Mariott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I am a DL hub captive and haven't flown AA in probably 15 years. Loss of AC or the 1.6cpp means nothing to me. Going from 1.33cpp to 1.25cpp is annoying but isn't the end of the world. I haven't played golf in almost 10 years and actually sold my clubs on CraigsList last summer since I have no use for them.

I'm still planning on keeping my card for the $250 credit, GE/TSA waiver, PP Select, and 4th night free.

If they reduce the annual fee or add additional benefits to offset the losses, I'll be an even happier camper than I already am.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by swirlsaepi
What are these Citi Proprietary lounges that are mentioned in the email that went to cardholders?
Banamex lounges
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
my renewal is in Jan, I will probably hold onto the card at least one more year. Looks like I get 6mos of admirals club, and I have my GE renewal next year, so I definitely will get value in 2017, will have to see how it goes for 2018.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
hell nah. no lounge? big deval. biggest deval for me was the golf benefit. I saved over $300 back in May on ONE round. add everything else and this is just shat for the $450 fee.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
I wonder if CITI knew about the upcoming Chase Sapphire Reserve card when deciding to reduce Prestige card benefits. I think not. If the new Chase card is sufficiently attractive, CITI may have to enhance Prestige benefits, have good retention offers, or lose customers.

Of course, we have to see how new the Sapphire card benefits look like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.